none
Resource Capacity - Over-Allocated Hours & Zero Capcity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are trialling using Resource Plans for each of our projects in Project Server 2013.

Using three resources, all with the same calendar, and not assigned to any other project at all; one resource's total work is 500 hours approx more than the other two resources.

The plan is based on FTE units in Months. The hours suggest this resource is working 60 hours/week, yet the other two resources on the same calendar, with same availability, same % - everything, are on 37 hours/week.

When you look at that resource's availability graph, you see zero capacity, and (obviously) over-allocated.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
    Andrew

Friday, July 10, 2015 1:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

Can you share a screenshot of the resource plan? How many FTE did you enter for each month? For how many months? Can you also share the resource availability graph? It is supposed to show you a data grid below the graph with the project the resource is working on and the amount of work, capacity, availability.. That might help.

A suggestion for debugging is to switch in the resource plan the work unit from FTE to days to see exactly how many days you have on the 3 resources. Also how did you configure the capacity calculation parameter?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Friday, July 10, 2015 1:22 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

I have no idea how or why, but it appears to have sorted itself an hour after we started investigating, and without any change being made!

I went back in to the resource plan to try again, and noticed he was at 1.56 FTE (when previously entered as 1).  So I changed back to 1 - and it sorted it out?!

For 60 minutes we were all at 1 FTE. I have no idea how/why it's suddenly working.

Thank you anyway!
    Andrew

Friday, July 10, 2015 1:30 PM
  • what you might be able to help me with - is how would a resource see all the projects they're assigned to (in a Resource Plan), in one central place in Project Server?
    Friday, July 10, 2015 1:31 PM
  • Interesting question... Resources plan do not contain any tasks, thus having resources in a resource plan does not make it appear in any usage view.

You could create a report using the [dbo.MSP_EpmAssignmentByDay] and the AssignmentResourcePlanWork.

Hope this helps,

Friday, July 10, 2015 1:38 PM
  • thank you for your time and quick responses.
    Friday, July 10, 2015 2:02 PM
  • You're more than welcome!

If any replies were helpful or answered yours questions, please mark them accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Friday, July 10, 2015 2:03 PM
  • Resource plans create a summary assignment under the covers for the given project for each resource. You should be able to see this information in the reporting store and pull it out via reporting once it is published. I've not tried it but I'm certain the requisite data is there to do so. Look in the Assignments or Assignments by Day and you should see a Resource Plan work field with the allocated work.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | Blog | Twitter | CIO Magazine Blog | Learn Resource Management

Friday, July 10, 2015 5:53 PM