Visual Studio 2013 Express--when Debugging Store App no controls are visible.

Question

• I can see the controls in the designer and in the XAML, but when I debug the solution (either in the Local Machine, or in Simulator) I don't see any controls.  In a Blank XAML solution, the only change I made was to replace the default <Grid></Grid> with this code:

<StackPanel Orientation="Vertical" > <Border BorderBrush="AliceBlue" CornerRadius="10" BorderThickness="4"> <TextBlock Text="ghjk" FontFamily="Segoe UI" FontSize="24" /> </Border> <TextBlock Text="asdf" FontFamily="Segoe UI" FontSize="24" /> <TextBlock Text="..." FontFamily="Segoe UI" FontSize="24" /> <TextBlock Text="qwer" FontFamily="Segoe UI" FontSize="24" /> <Border BorderBrush="Aqua" CornerRadius="10" BorderThickness="4"> <StackPanel Orientation="Vertical" > <RadioButton Content="Option 1"/> <RadioButton Content="Option 2"/> <RadioButton Content="Option 3"/> </StackPanel> </Border>
    </StackPanel>

When I run the code, I get a full-screen black application with no contents.

I'm hoping that the book I'm reading will continue by stating something like "and by the way, you won't be able to see the controls at run-time unless you..."

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you,  Ross

Friday, July 18, 2014 10:12 PM

Answers

• Hi databoy,

You did nothing wrong, I can see the controls when I paste to my XAML. In general there is no need to set something. The problem is not on your code, but on your Visual Studio.

I would suggest you to create a new app and add some control in to detect if the problem is only occurs on this project. And you may need to repair your Visual Studio from Control Panel to see if the app can run successfully.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, July 21, 2014 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I moved this thread to Building Windows Store apps with C# or VB forum for better support.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, July 21, 2014 9:32 AM
  • Hi databoy,

You did nothing wrong, I can see the controls when I paste to my XAML. In general there is no need to set something. The problem is not on your code, but on your Visual Studio.

I would suggest you to create a new app and add some control in to detect if the problem is only occurs on this project. And you may need to repair your Visual Studio from Control Panel to see if the app can run successfully.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, July 21, 2014 9:56 AM