Site Actions and View all site content menus RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

We are using custom master page for our external site and every thing is working fine except for one custom list display form.This form is is showing up site actions and view all site content menu even though using same master page. And i am not getting the Show Page editing toolbar under site actions eventhough form is customized.

Can you please tell me what is wrong with the page?

Thanks

MDev

Monday, September 26, 2011 5:43 PM

Answers

• Ok so if the site actions is showing on some pages. Then i think it would be an issue with the security trimming because thats whats either not working or setup incorrect. The security trimming is only supposed to show if your user account has the permissions that match the permission string in there.

Then again depending on what accounts your using it could also be that your masterpage is not published/approved.  http://url/_catalogs/masterpage/Forms/AllItems.aspx

You also need to be clear on what accounts your using to view the items and what your results are.

Are you view the items in the list with a authorized account or an anonymous account?

-tom daly
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:48 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:09 PM

All replies

• If you've editted the page in SharePoint Designer then it can become unghosted or customized from the site definition. Sometimes this can cause issues. So in SPD you'll see an (I) image next to the file.

What masterpage is this custom page using, in the first line of the file. That should be the same as the other pages.

<%@ Page language="C#" MasterPageFile="~masterurl/custom.master" 

You could take a backup of that page and see if resetting to site definition will fix it. Depending on what your changes are you may lose them so take the backup first.

-tom daly
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:39 AM
  • Hi,

To follow up on Tom's reply, has the Display Form been customized? While this may sound simple, if yes, make sure that it was checked in properly and approved if necessary.

Eric

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:51 PM
  • Thanks for both of your reply.

Yes i have customized the page and everything is fine. As Thomas saying i can see (i) next to my page. The master page is same as other forms and i was always customizing page according to the business needs, i am not sure what happened this time.

BosEdison, i have no option to check in page and some records its still showing the site actions menu , not for all records. I tried to reset to site definition and it got back to default. master and i changed back to custom. master and i have the same issue.

I think this is associated with customization as you suggested, but i am not getting into a solution.

Please suggest what i need to check next

Thanks

MDev

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Since its just that one page, what I would do is recreate that one page. It should not take you long since your mainly copy and pasting. If you had many many pages with the same problem then that would be impossible to recreate them all.

After doing so you could Diff the pages and possibly find out what went wrong.

-tom daly
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

i created different display pages with same master page and default master page , but the issue is still there for only particular records, but not all records.

I tried with different library too.

Thanks

sudha

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:29 PM
  • How did you create this custom display form? Copying the normal display form, hiding the default list form, and adding your custom list form? or creating new aspx page and adding custom list form?
    -tom daly
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:24 PM
  • Hi,

Hide the default form, and adding custom list form.

Thanks

sudha

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:41 PM
  • Hi,

Show page editing toolbar option works for publishing pages.

What customization you have done such as you are expecting "Page Editing Toolbar" option in the custom list form?

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:00 PM
  • What your describing is some intermittent problem where some items display form is proper and other items (same dispform) looks different, so I'm really trying to understand correctly what your problems are.

These are the 3 problems you are reporting.

1) The View All Site Content menu ( Quick Launch ) is showing

2) The Page can no longer be editted

3) You see site Action menu

For #1

I see that you said that you get the leftnav or quicklaunch on the display form of certain items. You mentioned that you see View All Site Content.

There is a line of code in the display form page that should look like this. Around line 14 if you've copied the default dispform.aspx

<asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderId="PlaceHolderLeftNavBar" runat="server"/>

This should prevent the left nav from showing up because its overriding the same exact tag in the masterpage which displays the left navigation. 

For #2

It seems as if once you add a new page via SharePoint Designer to that list the edit ability goes away on all the form pages.

For #3

You'll always see the site actions menu as an admin unless to specifically remove it from the masterpage. OR you security trim it from specific accounts

-tom daly
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:15 PM
  • Sorry for the confusion.

This is about internet facing site. My custom list dispform.aspx(customized) is displaying with site actions for some list records.

Actually we are using the master page with option to hide site actions menu for all unauthorized users. I can validate that for some items form is displaying well, but for some other list records dispform.aspx is coming up with site actions menu.

Thanks

sudha

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:22 PM
  • So are you using secuity trimming to hide the site actions? if so paste some code which shows what the permission string is.

Also internet site do you have anonymous access or do people still have to log in, and what are the types of accounts your checking with.

-tom daly
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Site has anonymous access. I dont think thats some thing with master page. Its working for most of the items in that list , but some are showing with site actions menu

Thanks

mDev

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:52 PM
  • Ok so if the site actions is showing on some pages. Then i think it would be an issue with the security trimming because thats whats either not working or setup incorrect. The security trimming is only supposed to show if your user account has the permissions that match the permission string in there.

Then again depending on what accounts your using it could also be that your masterpage is not published/approved.  http://url/_catalogs/masterpage/Forms/AllItems.aspx

You also need to be clear on what accounts your using to view the items and what your results are.

Are you view the items in the list with a authorized account or an anonymous account?

-tom daly
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:48 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:09 PM