failover when using log shipping RRS feed

• Question

• hi, experts, 

for my new project, I plan to use log shipment for my disaster recovery solution.

the project is to make a web portal using IIS to host in windows server.

for database, it will use SQL server and logshipping to 2nd database.

first question, if I use log shipment, can I say my system has HA solution? because I checked that there is no auotmatically failover to 2nd database. it requires too make 2nd database online for the system manually.

ref: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187103.aspx 

(A log shipping configuration does not automatically fail over from the primary server to the secondary server. If the primary database becomes unavailable, any of the secondary databases can be brought online manually.)

2nd question, because there is no auotmatically failover to 2nd database. it requires too make 2nd database online for the system manually. when 2nd database is ready to bring online? how to failover?  change connection string in web.config of web application in IIS? 

3nd question, actually it is related to 2nd question, as I find that "Supports limited read-only access to secondary databases (during the interval between restore jobs)" in Benefits section, (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187103.aspx).

during diaster ( when 1st database is down), when 2nd database is ready, do I need to reset permissions in 2nd database to make web application hosted in IIS able  insert, update, delete records to 2nd database. (let 2nd database pick up 1st database role)

thank you very much!

delaynomore 

A log shipping configuration does not automatically fail over from the primary server to the secondary server. If the primary database becomes unavailable, any of the secondary databases can be brought online manually.
    A log shipping configuration does not automatically fail over from the primary server to the secondary server. If the primary database becomes unavailable, any of the secondary databases can be brought online manually.there is no auotmatically failover to 2nd database. it requires too make 2nd database online for the system manually.

delaynomore.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 7:56 AM

Answers

• 1. Yes Transaction Log shipping gives you partial high availability. Well because you have to do some task from your own to bring secondary server online

2. This part of question has to be put forward infront of application team, for different types of application different changes are required. Sometimes a simple server name change is requires in connection string

3. Yes you may because when database is moved only users are moved but not logins you can have login created before hand in master and when failover happens you just need to use 

sp_change_user_login to map users to corresponding logins. Using Auto fix will do things for you.

Now if you mostly rely on windows login then you might not have to do this thing. Because windows login has same SID and same SID login will be created on secondary when you create windows authenticated login.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:42 AM

All replies

• 1. Yes Transaction Log shipping gives you partial high availability. Well because you have to do some task from your own to bring secondary server online

2. This part of question has to be put forward infront of application team, for different types of application different changes are required. Sometimes a simple server name change is requires in connection string

3. Yes you may because when database is moved only users are moved but not logins you can have login created before hand in master and when failover happens you just need to use 

sp_change_user_login to map users to corresponding logins. Using Auto fix will do things for you.

Now if you mostly rely on windows login then you might not have to do this thing. Because windows login has same SID and same SID login will be created on secondary when you create windows authenticated login.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:42 AM
  • Shashank ,  thanks a million for your kind assistance!

delaynomore.

Friday, March 10, 2017 2:33 AM