none
Linking Projects together in Project Center 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to link projects together or assign subprojects to multiple projects at one time? We would like to do something similar to this http://blog.advisicon.com/2015/04/08/creating-master-projects-subprojects/ 

We would like to add all the existing projects as sub=projects into the 1 project, that would let us do tracking for all of the projects from one place. Is this possible?

Ron Johnson Systems Administrator Michigan State University Federal Credit Union Office – (517) 333-2391 ron.johnson@msufcu.org WWW.MSUFCU.ORG

Monday, January 11, 2016 7:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From your description, it seems you would be interested in having Program--> Project Relation to be implemented in your environment. 

In the scenario above you would have to create a master project first and take offline copy of existing projects. Add each one of them as a sub project to the Master. You can have one master to any sub project not multiple.

Mater --> Sub-project relation is achieved using Project Professional.

This can be helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46pksSkJNF4

Regards,

Faizan.

Regards, Syed Faizan ur Rehman, CBPM®,PRINCE2®, MCTS

• Marked as answer by RonJohnMSU Wednesday, January 20, 2016 5:37 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 5:07 AM
  • Thanks. This worked.

Ron Johnson Systems Administrator Michigan State University Federal Credit Union Office – (517) 333-2391 ron.johnson@msufcu.org WWW.MSUFCU.ORG

• Marked as answer by RonJohnMSU Wednesday, January 20, 2016 5:36 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From your description, it seems you would be interested in having Program--> Project Relation to be implemented in your environment. 

In the scenario above you would have to create a master project first and take offline copy of existing projects. Add each one of them as a sub project to the Master. You can have one master to any sub project not multiple.

Mater --> Sub-project relation is achieved using Project Professional.

This can be helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46pksSkJNF4

Regards,

Faizan.

Regards, Syed Faizan ur Rehman, CBPM®,PRINCE2®, MCTS

• Marked as answer by RonJohnMSU Wednesday, January 20, 2016 5:37 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 5:07 AM
  • Hi Ron,

From the project center, if you select in the first column many rows (each one corresponding to 1 project) and click on the button "open in MS Project Pro", they will all open as subprojects in MS Project in a master project. 

Then just follow the blog post from Advisicon.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 9:47 AM
  • Hello,

We open multiple schedules every day just as Guilaume Rouyre has suggested.  I do have one question w/ regard to Cross project linking options when opening multiple projects.  My default for my templates are set not to show the external links.  My enterprise global is set to not show external links.  I realize this functionality control is project based.

When I open multiple schedules the external activities automatically show in the schedule.  This in turn changes my % complete in PWA.  Project Server is tied to one of our in house project management systems.  I continue to report incorrect data in both systems.

I can uncheck the show external ....and it will remove the external activities, but they come back overnight during transfers.  Any suggestions on how to default every time to not showing external links?

Thank you for your time,

Sandy Strong

MPC

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 9:12 PM
  • Thanks. This worked.

• Marked as answer by RonJohnMSU Wednesday, January 20, 2016 5:36 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 5:36 PM
  • I would check with Guillaume above. I am not sure since we do not have this scenario.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 5:37 PM