none
using CallByName so Mac VBA does throw a compile errow because a userform is being shown modeless RRS feed

• Question

• I had this code working a year ago but somehow it is now not working.  The problem is:

• I have a cross platform (Win and Mac) vba addin for Word
    • I want the Win version to show a modeless userform while the Mac version shows the information in a message box e.g.

If system.OperatingSystem = "Macintosh" then
        msgbox ......
    else
       frmTB.show vbmodeless
    end if

Unfortuantely the Mac throws a compile error as soon as it sees the "frmTB.show vbmodeless" even though it never needs to go near it.

A year ago I am SURE that I managed to get around this problem by using (or something like this)

CallByName frmTB, "Show", vbMethod, vbModeless

Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can have one source program that will show a modeless userform on the windows side but not cause the Mac to throw a compile error?

And assistance very gratefully received.

Peter Evans
    eMarking Assistant: helping teachers provide assessment feedback and use marking Rubrics

Monday, January 10, 2011 4:21 AM

Answers

• How about using the compiler constant "Mac" and

#If Mac Then

' Do the Mac stuff

#Else

' Do the Windows stuff

#End If

?

AFAIK these actually function at runtime even though they are "compiler" constants etc. This approach works in Word 2010/Mac Word 2004 but I haven't checked with any earlier versions of /VBA/.

Peter Jamieson
    • Proposed as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:56 AM
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:23 PM

All replies

• I have published an unprotected .doc containing the the code so you can look at it to see it working on the Windows and Mac sides.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18519629/demo%20problems.doc

You will need to comment out the code depending on what platform you are lookng at.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can have one source program that will show a modeless userform on the windows side but not cause the Mac to throw a compile error?

And assistance very gratefully received.

Peter Evans
    eMarking Assistant: helping teachers provide assessment feedback and use marking Rubrics

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:44 PM
  • How about using the compiler constant "Mac" and

#If Mac Then

' Do the Mac stuff

#Else

' Do the Windows stuff

#End If

?

AFAIK these actually function at runtime even though they are "compiler" constants etc. This approach works in Word 2010/Mac Word 2004 but I haven't checked with any earlier versions of /VBA/.

Peter Jamieson
    • Proposed as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:56 AM
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:23 PM