none
Nearmode firmware for kinect one (10cm to 1 meter range). RRS feed

• Question

• In other posts i red about a near mode firmware for the Kinect one.
    That would improve close range measurements.

In my light industrial application it would imply that i will have improved horizontal pixel resolution.
    Is there a way to get this firmware, (and maybe some docs on how to use it ?).

My current application is close to the limits of the hardware, and this could help me a lot.

i tried emailnig k4w@microsoft.com but it seams no longer used.
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 2:06 PM

All replies

• Hi NM kinects are pretty fun to play around with, but you need to be ready to make a few modifications if you want the best out of it. 

If I recall, the firmware reduced the light output of the lasers so the near field objects didnt saturate the ToF sensor. The firmware also came with a KinectService.exe that allowed < 50 cm values to be returned from the Kinect, rather than just NANs. 

I dont think the firmware ever made it public, but you can use the Libfreenect2 backend to return < 50 cm depth values from the Kinect sensor. Also, you can emulate the firmware this effect by using a neutral density IR filter over the laser emitters.

You mention you want a range of 0.1 to 1.0 m. The focus of the IR image (and therefore the depth values) drops off < 40 cm or so. You can refocus the IR lens (by manually unscrewing it slightly) but this sacrifices your long distance 'in focus' values. i.e. if you focus at 10 cm, you will be out of focus at 70 cm or so. 

One option is to completely replace the stock IR lens and replace it with one that covers your required field of view requirements. You would then have to use Libfreenect2, as they allow for depth z table lookup at runtime https://github.com/OpenKinect/libfreenect2/pull/379 

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 6:39 PM