Unable to login after linking with Live ID

Question

• i was using Windows developer preview since it was introduced without any problem, but recently i linked the Live ID from the users Personalization option. and after that i was unable to login using the Live ID password or my system password... it gives me an error " incorrect username / password"..
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 5:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• i tried to login after disconnecting internet... but even after that i'm getting error that "my device is currently offline login with last used password" but i get the same error if i use any passwords i used on my system....

i tried to restore my system from boot menu options ( F8 -> advanced options -> system restore) and i'm getting this error.

Unexpected error

an unexpected error occurred. No further assistance is available....

ue this is my secondary PC and i dont have any valuable information on this PC... but i would like to solve this issue without formatting

Sunday, December 18, 2011 6:15 AM
  • Hello Avinash Pudota,

See if this page will help with your 80070490 error.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80070490

Also, check to see if your Windows Live Password is greater than 16 characters. If so, change to less than 16 characters and see if you can now login with the Windows Live Password.

Let us know the outcome.

Marilyn
    • Marked as answer by Avinash Pudota Monday, December 19, 2011 5:25 AM
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 8:24 PM
  • thank you... my live account password is greater than 16 characters.. i will check it asap and reply if this works
    Monday, December 19, 2011 5:10 AM
  • thankyou.... the solution worked.. i've changed the password to less than 16 characters.. i've enabled to display information about the last interactive logon a few days back , and i was thinking that the error was because of this.......... and logon information is not displayed anymore after enabling live account...

i even tried using bootable recovery softwares and editing SAM file which i've used long back but nothing helped ... problem is solved now 

Monday, December 19, 2011 5:25 AM
  • in action center i'm getting a message that the password did not match. login with current password or reset the password
    Monday, December 19, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Hey Avinash Pudota,

Are you seeing this message every time you log into your account?

Please provide the entire message that you are receiving or a screen shot of the entry in the Action Center. 

Also check to see if there is a time stamp on the message/error, as this error notification may have been produced when you were trying to log into your account, but the password was too long.

Steven
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:10 AM
  • everytime i start my computer i get this message in action center, but when i click on that message- automatically it says no issues detected, even the action center will not open

the below image is the screenshot of the error i get everytime i start my computer, but i dont get any error with this

Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:18 PM
  • "even the action center will not open" -  in this message i mean that when i click on the message it will be updated as no current issues detected.. but i can normally open the action center....
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Friday, December 23, 2011 5:13 AM
  • Friday, December 23, 2011 5:19 AM
  • Hello Avinash Pudota,

Did you try and reset your password from this location?

Marilyn
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 4:07 PM
  • No, the "reset password" buttons in action center and Metro control panel wont work.. nothing happens when i click on it.. if i try to change the password manually i'm getting 80048821 error..

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:37 AM
  • Hey Avinash Pudota,

Let's try changing your Windows Live ID password (again) using the Windows Live account summary page. To do this, please follow the instructions provided on the page linked below:
    Windows Live Solution Center - Change your Windows Live ID Password

Once you have changed your password, restart your computer and log into your Windows Live connected account using the new password that you set by following the steps in the link above.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:28 AM
  • i've changed pwd of my live profile from www.account.live.com, but no change. getting the same error.

i have a few questions

• if i install the upcoming beta/final version will i get the current settings synced when i link this live account..?
    • where is the data of my windows developer preview stored on live account.
    • if i link two or more systems with single live account, can i login to all of them at once.
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:25 PM

• Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:29 PM
  • Hey Avinash Pudota,

Take a look at the link below for the details that have been released regarding using a Windows Live ID to sign into Windows Developer Preview:
    Building Windows 8 - Signing in to Windows 8 with a Windows Live ID

I only see the "Security policies on this computer are set to display information about the last interactive logon..." error when the "Display information about previous logons during user logon" group policy is enabled (on a system and logon that otherwise receives no error). Try disabling this group policy item to see if you still get this message when you log in. The group policy is located in the following location:
    Local Computer Policy - Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Windows Logon Options - Display information about previous logons during user logon

Note: For more information about this policy please see the link below
    Microsoft TechNet - Windows Server 2008 R2 - Active Directory Services: Last Interactive Logon

If disabling that policy doesn't fully resolve your problem, let's take this time to restate the current problems you are experiencing since it has changed/improved since the beginning of the thread. Let us know what error or errors you are receiving and what operations you are performing when you receive these errors.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 2:23 AM
  • I get the "Security policies on this computer are set to display information about the last interactive logon..." error only the first time i try to login after the changing the live account password.. i've disabled that  group policy(original setting was not configured, now changed to NO)..

Saturday, December 31, 2011 3:59 AM
  • Hey Avinash Pudota,

Just to confirm, the Display information about previous logons during user logon setting was the setting that you had previously enabled when you said "i've enabled to display information about the last interactive logon a few days back" in your previous reply, but the setting is now disabled and you still see the error message when you change your accounts password and log in. (please correct any of this if a part is wrong)

Also are you still seeing the same error in Action Center?

Try changing your password using the steps below (different from other methods in this thread):

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type User Accounts
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click User Accounts
    • Click Manage another account
    • Click your account name
    • Click Change the password
    • Enter the requested information into the blanks presented in this window
    • Click Change password

Then log off and log back in with the new password to test.

Steven
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 3:14 AM
  • i've disabled the Display information about previous logons but i'm still getting the sign in with your current password message in action center and if i try to open that message the problem will be resolved automatically without taking any action.

i think the sam file got corrupted in some way while i tried to edit that when i was unable to login to my Developer preview system in any way

Sunday, January 01, 2012 7:40 AM
  • i cannot update the password. i get the  80048821 error every time
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 7:43 AM
  • Hey Avinash Pudota,

Try completing a System Restore to a point before you edited the SAM file. You can do this by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type System Restore
    • Click Restore system files and settings from a restore point

Then try to restore to a point before you made the change to the SAM file. If that doesn't fix the problem, the next step will be to try to refresh your PC. Here is what will happen when you refresh your PC:

• Your files and personalization settings won't change.
    • Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    • Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

You can refresh your PC by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Click Control Panel
    • Click General in the left column
    • Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions provided on the page to continue with the refresh process.

Steven
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 2:16 AM
  • unfortunately there are no restore points before that point

what do you mean by  Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

there is no working windows store right now so there are no apps from windows store. does all other apps include my softwares like ms office, adobe reader etc or only metro apps?

i have no problem using the system except i get a message is action center. i dont want to loose any of my installed software and start over again

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 5:34 AM
  • Hey Avinash Pudota,

Since the Windows Store is not available a refresh will remove all applications that you have installed. The Metro style applications that were included with Windows Developer Preview will remain on your computer.

The only option that I can think of that doesn't require you to reinstall your applications is to unlink your Windows Live ID from the current user account and create a brand new account that is linked to your Windows Live ID. You can do this by:

To unlink your Windows Live ID:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type User Accounts
    • Click User Accounts
    • Click Change to a local account
    • Enter your current password
    • Click Next
    • Enter a username, password and password hint for this account (Remember that we're about to create another account)
    • Click Next
    • Click Log off and finish

To create your new account that will be linked to your Windows Live ID:

• Click Control Panel
    • Click Users in the left column
    • Click Add a user
    • Enter your Windows Live ID
    • Click Next
    • Click Finish
    • Log out of the current user account

Steven
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 7:41 PM