Update an application Without publishing it first RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Good day,

I have submitted a new application which is in "processing certification". Also I have changed the publish method to be manually.

My question is:

If the application successfully  passed the certification process, can I update it and submit a new xap without publishing it?

I'm asking this because I have discovered an issue and I don't want to publish the app. without fixing that issue.

Also, do I need to delete it to be able to update it (without publishing)?

Thanks and best regards,

Atef

Saturday, August 25, 2012 2:16 PM

Answers

• I was in the exact same situation about 2 weeks ago. Just change the publish method to be manually. When the app passes certification, you will receive an email saying your app is ready to be published. Then go to dev center, click "Update app". Don't forget to click the black "Submit" button when you finish uploading the new xap package.

That's all, no need to delete/publish before update.

• Marked as answer by AtefShehata Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:11 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:21 PM
  • Once your update completes certification, the dashboard will show you possible actions you can take on your update. Among other things, one of the actions will be to "update app" where you can update your application without the need to publish it. Please refer to the following MSDN page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windowsphone/help/jj206729(v=vs.105).aspx
    • Proposed as answer by jpoon Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by AtefShehata Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:12 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:31 AM
  • I was in the exact same situation about 2 weeks ago. Just change the publish method to be manually. When the app passes certification, you will receive an email saying your app is ready to be published. Then go to dev center, click "Update app". Don't forget to click the black "Submit" button when you finish uploading the new xap package.

Sorry. When the app is ready to be published, and the publication method is manually, you may not see an "Update app" button, instead you should click the "Edit Submission" button which will open a new page that you can update the app.
    • Marked as answer by AtefShehata Thursday, August 30, 2012 5:54 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:14 PM

All replies

• Once your update completes certification, the dashboard will show you possible actions you can take on your update. Among other things, one of the actions will be to "update app" where you can update your application without the need to publish it. Please refer to the following MSDN page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windowsphone/help/jj206729(v=vs.105).aspx
    • Proposed as answer by jpoon Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by AtefShehata Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:12 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:31 AM

• Marked as answer by AtefShehata Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:11 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:21 PM
  • Thanks for the help, that was great.

One more question:

Do I need to increment the version number?

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:12 PM
  • I'm not 100% sure, but it seems not necessary. I updated my beta app (in beta marketplace) without changing version number, everything worked fine.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:34 PM

Sorry. When the app is ready to be published, and the publication method is manually, you may not see an "Update app" button, instead you should click the "Edit Submission" button which will open a new page that you can update the app.
    • Marked as answer by AtefShehata Thursday, August 30, 2012 5:54 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Thanks for the update.
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 5:54 PM
  • Hi Windows Phone Dev Support,

I wanted to do exactly the above, as I also discovered an issue in my app that i wanted to fix before allowing publication. My app, "MetroSpec 1.3 Free" (not called that in the XAP manifest) product id {5a5970cb-74e6-4b3a-9028-89dbbdd6addb}, was in certification, and I changed it to "manual publish".

Once it had passed certification I was presented with a "Publish Now", and also "Update app" option. I chose update app, uploaded my new XAP file, changed the version number to 1.4, and pressed the Submit button.

What happened next was strange. I expected the app to go back through certification, what instead happened is that my new updated app went straight to the status "In Progress, Ready To Publish". It didn't go back through certification?

Also I can no longer see the original submission, and I have no option to "Publish", or even "Delete". My app is now stuck in my dashboard. Ideally I'd like the option to "Publish" to be available, rather than having to delete etc. Either way I'm stuck

Please help. Oh I should point out, that just before this issue, I had successfully published a paid for version of my app, and it was around this time, that the XAP uploading issue that occured since this weekend happened. I see that particular issue has been resolved as of tonight, but my app is still stuck.

Regards,

Glenn

Friday, September 21, 2012 6:32 PM