DragonBoard 410c - 720P Limitation - Anything being done? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This is a great board and I would love to use it but it is fixed at 1280x720, and I'm finding industrial panels very difficult to get in this resolution in quantity. the closest common bare panel resolution being 1280x768.

has anyone found a way to change the resolution?

Is there any effort going into allowing the screen resolution to be changed in Core-IoT?

Does anyone know of a supplier of 1280x720 LCD panels?

Thanks,

Saden.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 3:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Saden,

The resolution is hard coded in the board support package (BSP) supplied by Qualcomm.

The MinnowBoard Max offers many resolutions and hardware acceleration.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 6:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Saden,

The resolution is hard coded in the board support package (BSP) supplied by Qualcomm.

The MinnowBoard Max offers many resolutions and hardware acceleration.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 6:18 PM
  • Hi Lou,

Yes, I understand that with MBM (and Pi) we can change resolution, and that it's the Qualcom BSP that's the issue. I was hoping that someone on the inside woud say the feature is on the agenda (or not), surely there is some communication between MS and Qualcom?

I've had an MBM on order at RS in the UK for 4 months now! So that's not an option if they are so difficult to buy. We may go with Pi as a best fit for our product, but the DragonBoard would probably be my choice if we could get it onto an industrial grade display at a more common resolution.

Thanks for your reply,
    Saden.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 6:43 PM
  • Hi Saden,

There is definitely communication between MS and Qualcomm but Qualcomm does decide what to provide in their BSP.

As to your availability issues, have you looked at https://www.toradex.com/windows-iot-starter-kit? I believe they are based in Europe so may have better availability for you.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:25 PM
  • Nice pointer IoTGirl,

Unfortunately we need one, preferably two, UARTs which are in the pipeline but not available yet.

As you suggest, I'll accept Lou as the answer. I'm reading it as: "It's up to Qualcomm, not likely to happen in the near future, move on to another board" - That's a shame, very nice board for the money.

Thanks again,

Saden.

• Edited by Saden Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:28 PM
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 6:45 PM
  • @Saden i second that :(

Thursday, April 28, 2016 6:52 PM
  • @Saden, the Toradex Colibri T30 board uses the EDID when connecting a panel via HDMI/DVI. And it supports a wide range of resolutions up to 1080p. Parallel LCD (LVDS on Iris) is not supported today but on the roadmap.

Toradex currently marks the version "Technical Preview" so it should be a good choice for evaluation. But it also indicates that it is not production ready like the other available Operation Systems. However, for certain use cases the SW can be ready quite fast. For use cases requiring interfaces/features we do on support yet it may take a while.

The Colibri Module itself is fully qualified and already successfully used in many embedded/medical applications with WinCE or Linux. It also supports industrial temperatures and is available at least until 2025.

• Edited by TxDan Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:09 PM
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:08 PM
  • Hi TxDan,

I do like the look of the IoT Technical Preview, and may indeed have one for trial as features come on line. I was speaking purely in terms of our use case: We need Core IoT, 2xUART, SPI, I/O, WiFi. I will edit my comment as such for clarity.

Regards and thanks,

Saden.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:23 PM