Mobile Application Development RRS feed

• Question

• User745795303 posted

Hey everyone,

Can any one help on this.......

1. I have a ASp.net application that needs to be converted for to be used over Windows Mobile CE. Any thoughts on this.

2. I want to have some very useful links that can help me on the road to mobile web application development.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:47 AM

Answers

• User1135281112 posted

Hello Sadded

As you told that you are using VS2005 for development.  There are no separate templates anymore it supports under single web sites different type of forms (web form and mobile form).

Here what you can do to check it.

1) Create new asp.net web site from  File->New Web Site
    2) After that you go for "Add New Item" choose add Mobile Web Form. When you have mobile web form you can add mobile controls etc to it. 

Once above is done download any emulator and check your mobile form.

Hope this clears you

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 7:29 AM
  • User-2145084242 posted

Hi Sadeed,

I think your concerning is about Mobile Web Form control. If so, please have a look at this topic:

http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2007/01/09/tip-trick-using-mobile-web-forms-with-web-applicaiton-projects.aspx

Specially thanks Mr. Omar Khan for this essential and helpful resources.

Best Regards,

John.

Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:05 PM

All replies

• User-12878918 posted

Here ya go...

http://tinyurl.com/n4d6ua

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:27 AM
  • User1141377840 posted

Check here

http://forums.asp.net/t/1464813.aspx

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:58 AM
  • User1135281112 posted

Hello Sadded

Please look at following links as you are starting up with mobile web development.

Beginner:

1) http://www.w3schools.com/dotnetmobile/default.asp 

- Good Tutorial for startup

Advanced:

Once you have knowledge from above link go with below one to take yourself to next level of asp.net mobile web development.

1) http://51degrees.codeplex.com - It is an ASP.NET open source module  which detects mobile devices and provides auto redirection to mobile optimized pages when request is coming from mobile device. It makes use of WURFL mobile device database. For redirection there is no need to modify existing ASP.NET web application pages.

Below the sample how easily you can configure Multiple Mobile Redirect Locations

In this example MobileDeviceManufacturer is used as the property. This properties are exposed through the HttpRequest classes Browser property. Both WURFL capabilities and ASP.NET Browser properties can be used with the property attribute. If none of the <locations> match and the requesting device is a mobile device then the mobileHomePageUrl will be used.

<redirect firstRequestOnly="true"
    mobileHomePageUrl="~/Mobile/Default.aspx"
    timeout="20"
    devicesFile="~/App_Data/Devices.dat"
    mobilePagesRegex="/[Apple|RIM|Nokia|Mobile]/">
    <locations>
    <!--Send iphone to their own home page.-->
    <location url="~/Apple/Default.aspx">
    <add property="MobileDeviceManufacturer" matchExpression="Apple"/>
    </location>
    <!--Send blackberry to their own home page.-->
    <location url="~/RIM/Default.aspx">
    <add property="MobileDeviceManufacturer" matchExpression="RIM"/>
    </location>
    <!--Send nokia to their own home page.-->
    <location url="~/Nokia/Default.aspx">
    <add property="MobileDeviceManufacturer" matchExpression="Nokia"/>
    </location>
    </locations>
    </redirect>

2) http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa286514.aspx - All required information for asp.net mobile web development

Hope above finds you useful.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 4:21 AM
  • User745795303 posted

Thank you everyone.......

Dear Matrixvibe,

Thanks for the road map........Couold you please help in this as well.......Its dificullt to distinguish when it come to develop for a certain platform and deploy for a certain plat form........By this I mean to say that what is the diffrence between Windows Mobile 2003, Windows obile 5 and windows mobile 6.........whether they can be upgraded as if you make an application specific for WM 2003 and later move on to the WM5 or 6.

Further please clear me on this if I have a hand held device with windows Mobile 2003  can we chnage the OS later over it.

And how can we convert out current .net application to mobile application.

Thanks you for your time.......

Regards

Sadeed

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 4:35 AM
  • User1135281112 posted

Hello Sadded

Just tell me following

1) You have current ASP.NET website running which you want to make run successfully on Windows Mobile Browser considering the capablities supported by Windows Mobile Device?
    2) Are you only targetting your Mobile website to get browsed from Windows Mobile Devices only?
    3) Your current ASP.NET website is created using what .NET version?

Please let me know above things

Thanks

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:45 AM
  • User745795303 posted

Answer to

1) is YES

2) YES.

3) 2.0 and later

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 10:54 PM
  • User1135281112 posted

Hello Sadded

If you are targetting only Windows Mobile than follow below, link to get knowledge of the control supported for mobile forms. Create sample pages for mobiles using below link. Run your mobile website using IE present in Windows Mobile

http://www.w3schools.com/dotnetmobile/default.asp

If ever you want to customize your mobile website for different Windows Mobile make use of http://www.51degrees.mobi/Products

Just start with some sample pages you will get more idea.

To test your mobile webiste you need to download Window Mobile Emulators or you can use the one coming with Visual Studio 2005.

Please start and let me know if you stuck at any point.

Thanks

Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:32 AM
  • User745795303 posted

I have gone through your suggestions could you please confirm that when we need to have a Mobile Internet Toolkit (MMIT) and also do I need to prepare a seperate application for the mobile device or I can work in the same aspx page.

Further if we go to File, new, Project we find a Smartdevice Project........it ask you for a deployment plat form........I am getting confused as what to start with what I need to have installed on my PC and all that.

By the way I want to stick inside my current web application and being into the same web application I want to have mobile controls to work with starting from a login page. Any link that can serve as an example or so.

Thanks.

Friday, September 11, 2009 2:27 AM
  • User1135281112 posted

Hello Sadded

As you told that you are using VS2005 for development.  There are no separate templates anymore it supports under single web sites different type of forms (web form and mobile form).

Here what you can do to check it.

1) Create new asp.net web site from  File->New Web Site
    2) After that you go for "Add New Item" choose add Mobile Web Form. When you have mobile web form you can add mobile controls etc to it. 

Once above is done download any emulator and check your mobile form.

Hope this clears you

Thanks

Friday, September 11, 2009 7:29 AM
  • User745795303 posted

I followed File->New Web Site and in the Add Item I can see any Mobile Form or so....any ideas on this

Thanks

Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:02 AM
  • User-2145084242 posted

Hi Sadeed,

I think your concerning is about Mobile Web Form control. If so, please have a look at this topic:

http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2007/01/09/tip-trick-using-mobile-web-forms-with-web-applicaiton-projects.aspx

Specially thanks Mr. Omar Khan for this essential and helpful resources.

Best Regards,

John.

Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:05 PM
  • User745795303 posted

First of all thanks for the your above link...it helped.....

Could you please help in providing a Emulator for Windows CE 4.2......so that I can test my current web application from that emulator......I need to run my application on the Windows CE 4.2 device which is PSION 7525.

Thanks

Monday, September 14, 2009 4:50 AM
  • User-1267652121 posted

Hi friends

I have smiliar requirement. I have my web application running on .net 3.5 and Azure. I just need that my web application should run fine on iphone/android/blackberry.

I dont need to create mobile application, I just need tha users of above phone can browse my website.

Thanks

Sadhwani

Monday, November 29, 2010 2:13 AM