none
Binding values to fields without dataset available in a report, asp.net RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have three projects in same solution (of many Smile ), in first there are datasets Investment.DataTypes.DataSets, second Investment.WebUI where report should be displayed, and the third one is the Investment.Reports where are actual reports.

Is there any way for Investment.Reports project to see datasets from Investment.DataTypes.DataSets? I'm stuck with this, don't know what to do Sad

Or for example how can i bind dataset which is populated in Investment.WebUI to the controls on a report, i have a control txtName and txtId on a report.

All the time I can't see those datasets from Investment.DataTypes.DataSets.

Is there any way to solve this?

Thnx in advance.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 11:36 AM

All replies

• Or simply sad, how can i bind values to custom field.

for example i have someDataset on a form and I want to bind its values to a control on a report. (I don't know the sintax, but something like this txtId (field on a report) = someDataset.Table.Rows[0][1]);

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 11:49 AM
  • this sounds like a pretty basic case of binding existing data to your report template.   

Do you know what you want to see on the report?  For example, do you need to see tabular data? Or just a single value?

If the datasets are already setup with the data, then most of the work is done.  Simply add a report template to your project, double click it to open it for editing, drag and drop whatever controls you want to use...and then drag and drop the fields onto the respective control.

In regards to giving data to a the report viewer.....a report viewer simply displays reports.  And thereby it only wants the data associated with the report it's trying to display.

A reportdatsource accepts Datatables, not single cell values.   If you need to pass in a single value, and display that single value, then look into passing in a report parameter, and in the report template just display the parameter value.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:37 PM