Open and close tabtip.exe from a VB.net 2010 application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have spent some time trying to open and close tabtip.exe dynamicaly on Windows 8. I have tried to reference microsoft.ink.dll but I have not been able to get anywhere. I can open the tabtip.exe application on Windows 7, but using the same method in Windows 8 produces a e-fail error.

Does anyone know of some sample code in VB.NET that works under Windows 8?

Should I use microsoft.ink? - Or is there another way of reaching the keyboard from VB?

On the other hand.... I may be making this more difficult than it is? - Could there be some in built functionality in Windows 8 or for instance VB.NET 2012?

Any insight is welcome.

John

Monday, February 11, 2013 12:25 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm using a 64 Bit Windows 8 , and the following codes work on my PC, which will open the touch keyboard, and close it.

Imports System.Threading
    Imports System.Runtime.InteropServices

Public Class Form2
        Dim WM_SYSCOMMAND As Int32 = 274
        Dim SC_CLOSE As UInt32 = 61536
        <DllImport("user32.dll", SetLastError:=True, CharSet:=CharSet.Auto)> _
        Private Shared Function PostMessage(ByVal hWnd As IntPtr, ByVal Msg As UInteger, ByVal wParam As IntPtr, ByVal lParam As IntPtr) As Boolean
        End Function

Private Shared Function FindWindow( _
        ByVal lpClassName As String, _
        ByVal lpWindowName As String) As IntPtr
        End Function

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Process.Start("C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ink\TabTip.exe")
        End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
            Dim TouchhWnd As New IntPtr(0)
            Dim hWnd As New IntPtr(0)
            TouchhWnd = FindWindow("IPTip_Main_Window", Nothing)
            'If ..
            'Else..
            PostMessage(TouchhWnd, WM_SYSCOMMAND, SC_CLOSE, 0)
        End Sub
    End Class

The marked solution in the article above didn't work on windows 8, bu the solution by Ryand do works. As quoted below:

For Windows 8:

Note: Just like the Windows 7 solution, this requires an elevated process.

The input panel is not a descendant of HWND_DESKTOP. (It's probably some kind of Metro window.) In order to get the window handle, do a series of horizontal sweeps in a grid-like pattern testing with WindowFromPoint(). For each test, check the window class of the parent window to see if it is "IPTip_Main_Window".

To show the input panel, launch "C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\microsoft shared\\ink\\tabtip.exe". To determine if it is already in docked mode, read registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\TabletTip\1.7\EdgeTargetDockedState

A value of 0 indicates the input panel is in floating mode. If that was the case, post the following message to toggle the docked state:

DWORD WM_DOCK_BUTTON_PRESSED = ::RegisterWindowMessage(_TEXT("IPTipDockButtonPressed"));

PostMessage(hwndInputPanel, WM_DOCK_BUTTON_PRESSED, 0, 0);

To hide the keyboard, post the following:

PostMessage(hwndInputPanel, WM_SYSCOMMAND, SC_CLOSE, 0);

If I misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Shanks Zen
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by John1969 Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:16 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:14 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Seems the touch keyboard(tablip.exe) is redesigned on Windows 8, and here's a some steps to control it on Windows 8 using C++ by Ryand, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1770670/how-do-i-control-the-text-input-panel-programmatically-tabtip-exe-in-windows-v, this use Windows messages, I think it should work in .NET.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Shanks Zen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by John1969 Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:22 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by John1969 Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:22 AM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:50 AM
  • Hi Shanks,

Thanks for your reply, but both suggestions in that article have been updated by the authors, they have submitted that the answers do not work on Windows 8 (both for different reasons).

I can confirm that these suggested solutions do not work, as-is.

Any other suggestions?

John.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:22 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm using a 64 Bit Windows 8 , and the following codes work on my PC, which will open the touch keyboard, and close it.

Imports System.Threading
    Imports System.Runtime.InteropServices

Public Class Form2
        Dim WM_SYSCOMMAND As Int32 = 274
        Dim SC_CLOSE As UInt32 = 61536
        Private Shared Function PostMessage(ByVal hWnd As IntPtr, ByVal Msg As UInteger, ByVal wParam As IntPtr, ByVal lParam As IntPtr) As Boolean
        End Function

Private Shared Function FindWindow( _
        ByVal lpClassName As String, _
        ByVal lpWindowName As String) As IntPtr
        End Function

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Process.Start("C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ink\TabTip.exe")
        End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
            Dim TouchhWnd As New IntPtr(0)
            Dim hWnd As New IntPtr(0)
            TouchhWnd = FindWindow("IPTip_Main_Window", Nothing)
            'If ..
            'Else..
            PostMessage(TouchhWnd, WM_SYSCOMMAND, SC_CLOSE, 0)
        End Sub
    End Class

The marked solution in the article above didn't work on windows 8, bu the solution by Ryand do works. As quoted below:

For Windows 8:

Note: Just like the Windows 7 solution, this requires an elevated process.

The input panel is not a descendant of HWND_DESKTOP. (It's probably some kind of Metro window.) In order to get the window handle, do a series of horizontal sweeps in a grid-like pattern testing with WindowFromPoint(). For each test, check the window class of the parent window to see if it is "IPTip_Main_Window".

To show the input panel, launch "C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\microsoft shared\\ink\\tabtip.exe". To determine if it is already in docked mode, read registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\TabletTip\1.7\EdgeTargetDockedState

A value of 0 indicates the input panel is in floating mode. If that was the case, post the following message to toggle the docked state:

DWORD WM_DOCK_BUTTON_PRESSED = ::RegisterWindowMessage(_TEXT("IPTipDockButtonPressed"));

PostMessage(hwndInputPanel, WM_DOCK_BUTTON_PRESSED, 0, 0);

To hide the keyboard, post the following:

PostMessage(hwndInputPanel, WM_SYSCOMMAND, SC_CLOSE, 0);

If I misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Shanks Zen

• Marked as answer by John1969 Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:16 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:14 AM
  • Hi Shanks,

Great answer! This works.

The Elevated Process is key here.

Thanks again!

John

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:21 AM