Wireless network card unsigned driver issue

Question

• I just installed the Windows 8 dev build on a seperate partition on my second hard drive and it installed just fine.  The new start menu is absolutely breathtaking.

However, after installing the 64 bit drivers for my Linksys wireless network, it gives me an error message about how the drivers are unsigned etc.  Is there a way to bypass this (or somehow force Windows to use the drivers) so I can use the card?  Thanks.

-E

• Edited by Emil S Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:08 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:04 AM

Answers

• You can press Shift-F8 during boot to access the advanced boot options menu.  One of these options is to disable driver signature enforcement.
    Matthew van Eerde
    • Marked as answer by Emil S Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:55 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:18 AM

All replies

• You can press Shift-F8 during boot to access the advanced boot options menu.  One of these options is to disable driver signature enforcement.
    Matthew van Eerde
    • Marked as answer by Emil S Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:55 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:18 AM
    Matthew van Eerde
    you rock, thanks!
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:55 AM
  • However these drivers shouldn't have worked on anything post Vista because we have had driver signing enforcement since Vista. Can you please point to the location where you got these drivers from?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Can you give some more specific details about your wireless network card and the driver details?

Can you go into device manager and select Nework adapters: You should see your Wifi adapter listed there.

if you get properties for the device, on the driver tab 

• What is the driver date?
    • What is the driver version?
    • Under driver details what is the actual file name of the driver?

On the Details tab,

• What is the longest Hardware ID?  (for example, PCI\VEN_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)

thanks

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:41 PM
  • I would like to understand why this driver is considered unsigned by the Windows 8 operating system.  Would you mind answering two questions?

1) What is the name or model of your Linksys wireless USB device? 

2) Where was the driver obtained from? 

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:26 PM
  • The Shift-F8 solution is a short-term solution that only works until the next boot... a long-term solution would involve figuring out where the unsigned driver came from and replacing it with a signed driver if possible.

You can get more information on installing unsigned drivers here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/matthew_van_eerde/archive/2011/09/14/how-to-install-unsigned-drivers.aspx

Matthew van Eerde
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:41 PM
    Matthew van Eerde
    you rock, thanks!

I spoke too soon, that didn't work =(  Windows would not respond to me pressing shift+F8 on my system, until after doing it a few times, I realized I didn't need to hit Shift.  Eventually after pressing F8, it brought me to the Win8 signon looking screen where there were some advanced options but neither of them was to "disable driver signature."  The closest thing I could find was command prompt.  I opened cmd.exe and typed in "bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS" and "bcdedit.exe /set TESTSIGNING ON" but that didn't work at all.

=(

• Edited by Emil S Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:38 PM editing
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:37 PM
  • However these drivers shouldn't have worked on anything post Vista because we have had driver signing enforcement since Vista. Can you please point to the location where you got these drivers from?
    straight from linksys.com for my AE1000 wireless usb adapter.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:38 PM
  • Can you give some more specific details about your wireless network card and the driver details?

Can you go into device manager and select Nework adapters: You should see your Wifi adapter listed there.

if you get properties for the device, on the driver tab 

• What is the driver date?
    • What is the driver version?
    • Under driver details what is the actual file name of the driver?

On the Details tab,

• What is the longest Hardware ID?  (for example, PCI\VEN_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)

thanks

Crap I would but I ended up wiping the partition after realizing I wouldn't even be able to get online.  I can tell you though that the model is a Linksys AE1000 and the absolute latest drivers were preloaded on a USB memory stick that I had laying around.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:40 PM
  • I would like to understand why this driver is considered unsigned by the Windows 8 operating system.  Would you mind answering two questions?

1) What is the name or model of your Linksys wireless USB device? 

2) Where was the driver obtained from? 

1. Linksys AE1000

2. http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys/AE1000

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:41 PM
  • The Shift-F8 solution is a short-term solution that only works until the next boot... a long-term solution would involve figuring out where the unsigned driver came from and replacing it with a signed driver if possible.

You can get more information on installing unsigned drivers here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/matthew_van_eerde/archive/2011/09/14/how-to-install-unsigned-drivers.aspx

Matthew van Eerde

Yeah but I couldn't even get to the screen that has the option for "Disable driver signature enforcement."  That is the advanced option menu you get in DOS after hitting F8 right?  Well in Windows 8, it must be different because it brought me to this nice fancy giant blue screen and gave me "a few" advanced options, none of which was to disable the driver signature enforcement.  I should mention that I had done an upgrade over Windows 7 and on this drive, there were no other OS's installed.

I think it would be helpful if for the duration of the beta at least, for users to be able to automatically install unsigned drivers to prevent any problems.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:46 PM
  • In Windows 7 and before, there is only F8; in Windows 8 Developer Preview, F8 and Shift-F8 do two different things.  The fancy giant blue screen is F8; Shift-F8 gives you different options.

Some BIOSes have an issue where they don't relay the Shift key to Windows that early in the boot sequence.  Try:

1. Hit F10 during boot
    2. Add /DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS to the boot options

I downloaded the Windows 7 driver from http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys/AE1000 (direct link http://homedownloads.cisco.com/downloads/driver/1224657257709/AE1000_Win7_3.0.10.0-WHQL,0.zip ) and it appears to have a "Microsoft Root Authority"-signed .cat file.  Can you send me (mateer at microsoft dot com) your C:\windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log file?

Matthew van Eerde
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:46 PM