Where can I host a wrapper due to I want to use Universal Apps ? This wrapper will call library file (*.dll) and received return values of several string

Question

• I want to call library from wrapper (retrieve data from another hardware device). However I am using Universal Apps. This library will return several string value. I am giving instruction from my boss not to use WCF. Could you please guide me where can I host this wrapper or class in order to get the return value from wrapper ?

For your information, it is offline (not connected to internet), using *.dll (dynamic library file) and I know how to call Universal Apps library. Kindly, forgive me if I am wrong

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:13 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi - you should be able to use your library directly - if it is Windows Store compatible. If not, you could use a brokered component to access the library, if it's not going to be submitted to the store:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn630195.aspx

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Proposed as answer by Oliver Ulm Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:09 AM
    Monday, September 29, 2014 8:40 PM
  • It is not Universal Apps or Windows Store compatible. "Brokered Windows Runtime Components for side-loaded Windows Store apps" seems like what I am looking for. However, the link is difficult for me to follow. Do you have a website/link that show create a simple  "Brokered Windows Runtime Components for side-loaded Windows Store apps" step by step ? Thank you in advance.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:57 AM
  • At the bottom of the page that Matt linked you to there is a full sample project: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Northwind-Brokered-WinRTC-5143a67c
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:11 AM
  • Hi Oliver Ulm,

Thank you for your fast response. I have download http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Northwind-Brokered-WinRTC-5143a67c sample code. However, I only found AssemblyInfo.cs file under Properties. I could not find other *.cs file. When I click on "browse code" tab, it is empty.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:26 AM
  • Hi Matt Small,

Thank you for your reply. It is very informative.

I could call the wrapper directly in Console Application but this is not what I wanted. I need to develop my project in Universal Apps or Windows Store 8. This wrapper (or functions inside wrapper) will return several string value. Is there anywhere I could retrieve the string in Console Application by using Univeral Apps ?

Just for your information the wrapper does not support Windows 8 Store / Universal Apps and I am not allow to use WCF service. 

I am not able to call the function inside the wrapper by using Windows Store 8 or Universal Apps. Actually, my project suppose to use Universal Apps.
    • Edited by etylatam Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:35 AM
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:32 AM
  • In the C# folder there also is another ZIP-file called NorthwindBrokeredWinRTCDemo which in turn contains the projects actually showcasing how this all works.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:59 AM
  • I think this might help:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/wsdevsol/archive/2014/04/14/cheat-sheet-for-using-brokered-windows-runtime-components-for-side-loaded-windows-store-apps.aspx

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 1:37 PM