VS2010 Fresh Install, No Intellisense. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I've installed VS2010 on my new PC along with XNA, VS2010 SP1 and Windows Phone SDK.

Intellisense is not working on any of my projects and I get the message:

The "Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.BootstrpPackage.BootstrapPackage, Microfosft.DAta.Entity.Design.BootstrapPackage, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=nautral, PublicKeyToken=..." package did not load correctly.

The problem may have been caused by a configuration change or the installation of another extension. You can get more information by running this application with the /log parameter on the command line and then examing the file "C:\Users\..\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ActivityLog.xml".

I've found that going Run-> devenv /resetuserdata then loading up VS makes intellisense return, but closing and reopening VS makes it disappear again.

This is across all projects and things like "Go to definition" and correct tabbing of new lines don't appear/work either.

Any suggestions?

Really appreciate any help you can give!

Monday, September 3, 2012 7:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Kamikazee King,

Thanks for you post.

I recommend you not delete any Visual Studio files yourself. From the error info, it seems the issue was due to some extensions but I still have to clarify some more details:

1. When did you get the error?

2. Have you got any error message when installing?(If you have met any errors, please use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather logs for me. You can find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://skydrive.live.com/ . Then when you right click the file your will get a "Share option". Then you will be able to share your file with that link )

3. What's your OS version and sp level?

4. Can you make sure you have installed all "Windows Updates"?

I will show you the solution based on your error message. To troubleshoot your error in detail, please answer my questions on by one. Here is the solution:

1. Boot your OS to safemode ->open Visual Studio -> Remove all extensions

2. Try reset Visual Studio with the following commands:

a. Run devenv /Resetsettings to eliminate the cause of corrupted settings.
      b. Run devenv /ResetSkipPkgs in Command Prompt.
      c. Run devenv /Safemode to see if you can apply it correctly. This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems.

3. Switch and try a new user account. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:55 AM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:59 AM

All replies

• Ok the log file it tells me to produce above has one warning in it: The CTM file is out of date and should be deleted and rebuilt, but the file 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\1033\devenv.CTM' could not be deleted. There is no devenv.ctm (as far as I can see) in that folder - just a ResoruceCache.dll.

Anyone wiser than me in these things able to help?

Monday, September 3, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Hi Kamikazee King,

Thanks for you post.

I recommend you not delete any Visual Studio files yourself. From the error info, it seems the issue was due to some extensions but I still have to clarify some more details:

1. When did you get the error?

2. Have you got any error message when installing?(If you have met any errors, please use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather logs for me. You can find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://skydrive.live.com/ . Then when you right click the file your will get a "Share option". Then you will be able to share your file with that link )

3. What's your OS version and sp level?

4. Can you make sure you have installed all "Windows Updates"?

I will show you the solution based on your error message. To troubleshoot your error in detail, please answer my questions on by one. Here is the solution:

1. Boot your OS to safemode ->open Visual Studio -> Remove all extensions

2. Try reset Visual Studio with the following commands:

a. Run devenv /Resetsettings to eliminate the cause of corrupted settings.
      b. Run devenv /ResetSkipPkgs in Command Prompt.
      c. Run devenv /Safemode to see if you can apply it correctly. This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems.

3. Switch and try a new user account. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:55 AM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:59 AM