Which one should I prefer Asp.net Mvc or asp.net core or asp.net mvc core RRS feed

• Question

• User-791721227 posted

I am going to create a new project.Migrating asp.net web form.Which one shall I prefer.What is difference between them.EF or EF core is different.If I want learn asp.net core,shall I know asp.net MVC.Now industry is looking for which skill set

Friday, March 26, 2021 7:43 AM

Answers

• User1120430333 posted

There is also Razor Pages and Blazer you can look into. Everything is moving towards Core.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, March 26, 2021 9:05 AM
  • User475983607 posted

smitapinky2021

I am going to create a new project.Migrating asp.net web form.

What is the reason for upgrading the Web Forms application? 

smitapinky2021

Which one shall I prefer.What is difference between them.EF or EF core is different.If I want learn asp.net core,shall I know asp.net MVC.Now industry is looking for which skill set

These "what should I learn" questions come up a lot on the forms.  The answer is , it is up to you.   .NET 5 is the latest framework and where all the new development is heading.  If you want to keep up to date with the latest technology in the .NET world then learn .NET Core.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/get-started

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/get-started

Friday, March 26, 2021 10:16 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

Migrating asp.net web form....If I want learn asp.net core, shall I know asp.net MVC. Now industry is looking for which skill set

Razor Pages is the natural successor to Web Forms on ASP.NET Core. However, if you are more concerned about acquiring skill sets which are in demand, you should learn MVC.

Friday, March 26, 2021 1:09 PM
  • User-474980206 posted

we don't know your experience, requirements or what your long term goals are.

classic asp.net MVC is mature and hasn't been updated since early 2014.  even the supporting .net framework only receives security patches. if you plan on reusing old webform code this may be a good choice, if your goal is to switch to the MVC pattern

asp.net core is the current and future for Microsoft web development. but unlike classic, you are required to keep it current for support. That is a LTS release comes every 2 years, and is only supported for 3 years. a non LTS release is only for 3 months after the next release.

asp.net core has three options:

• mvc - the original and most stable. very similar to classic MVC
    • razor pages - very reminiscent of classic asp.net without web forms, but with a different template engine. This is the Microsoft recommend upgrade path for webform users. But there is no support webform like event binding to the server
    • blazor - the new kid on the block and getting better support than I would have guessed. this is the closest to the webform programing model.

if you are starting a green field project the one of the asp.net core options seems best. if compatibility with old code is paramount, then classic asp.net may be the best option.

Friday, March 26, 2021 3:13 PM

All replies

• User1120430333 posted

There is also Razor Pages and Blazer you can look into. Everything is moving towards Core.

Friday, March 26, 2021 9:05 AM
  • User475983607 posted

smitapinky2021

I am going to create a new project.Migrating asp.net web form.

What is the reason for upgrading the Web Forms application? 

smitapinky2021

Which one shall I prefer.What is difference between them.EF or EF core is different.If I want learn asp.net core,shall I know asp.net MVC.Now industry is looking for which skill set

These "what should I learn" questions come up a lot on the forms.  The answer is , it is up to you.   .NET 5 is the latest framework and where all the new development is heading.  If you want to keep up to date with the latest technology in the .NET world then learn .NET Core.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/get-started

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/get-started

Friday, March 26, 2021 10:16 AM
  • User-1038772411 posted

Hi

ASP.NET Core has been revamped. Everything is modular nowadays. And you add individual NuGet packages for all your needs. If you want to use MVC you add a NuGet package for MVC (do note that Web API is now part of MVC . If you want to use LINQ in some library, you just add it as a NuGet package. Do you want to use System.Net.Http? Add it as a NuGet package.

ASP.NET Core is a better choice if you -

1. Want to target your Web app on Windows, Linux, and Mac operating systems.
    2. Are not afraid of learning new things.
    3. Are not afraid of breaking and fixing things since ASP.NET Core is not fully matured yet.

ASP.NET MVC is a better choice if you -

1. Don’t need cross-platform support for your Web app.
    2. Need a stable environment to work in.
    3. Have nearer release schedules.
    4. Are already working on an existing app and extending its functionality.
    5. Already have an existing team with ASP.NET expertise.
    Friday, March 26, 2021 12:08 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

Are not afraid of breaking and fixing things since ASP.NET Core is not fully matured yet.
    Nonsense. ASP.NET Core is very mature. It's on it's fourth major release.

Friday, March 26, 2021 1:05 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

Migrating asp.net web form....If I want learn asp.net core, shall I know asp.net MVC. Now industry is looking for which skill set

Razor Pages is the natural successor to Web Forms on ASP.NET Core. However, if you are more concerned about acquiring skill sets which are in demand, you should learn MVC.

Friday, March 26, 2021 1:09 PM
  • User-474980206 posted

we don't know your experience, requirements or what your long term goals are.

classic asp.net MVC is mature and hasn't been updated since early 2014.  even the supporting .net framework only receives security patches. if you plan on reusing old webform code this may be a good choice, if your goal is to switch to the MVC pattern

asp.net core is the current and future for Microsoft web development. but unlike classic, you are required to keep it current for support. That is a LTS release comes every 2 years, and is only supported for 3 years. a non LTS release is only for 3 months after the next release.

asp.net core has three options:

• mvc - the original and most stable. very similar to classic MVC
    • razor pages - very reminiscent of classic asp.net without web forms, but with a different template engine. This is the Microsoft recommend upgrade path for webform users. But there is no support webform like event binding to the server
    • blazor - the new kid on the block and getting better support than I would have guessed. this is the closest to the webform programing model.

if you are starting a green field project the one of the asp.net core options seems best. if compatibility with old code is paramount, then classic asp.net may be the best option.

Friday, March 26, 2021 3:13 PM
  • User1312693872 posted

Hi,smitapinky

create a new project.Migrating asp.net web form.

Web Forms is not supported in ASP.NET Core, as documented here, includes the comparison between .net and .net core.

It is recommend migrating ASP.NET Web Forms to the MVC Pattern with the ASP.NET Web API, you can check this link:

Migrating ASP.NET Web Forms to the MVC Pattern with the ASP.NET Web API

And then if you also want to migrate asp.net mvc to asp.net core mvc, check this:

ASP.NET MVC to ASP.NET Core MVC

Best Regards,

Jerry Cai

Monday, March 29, 2021 3:42 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

It is recommend migrating ASP.NET Web Forms to the MVC Pattern
    Just to clarify, Razor Pages, which is a feature of ASP.NET Core MVC  is the recommended migration path for applications that produce HTML:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/introduction-to-aspnet-core?view=aspnetcore-2.1#recommended-learning-path-1

Monday, March 29, 2021 10:40 AM