none
Excel VSTO 2007/VS 2010 AddIn won't install any more. RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have an Excel VSTO AddIn that I moved up to Excel 2007/VS2010 last fall. I tried using ClickOnce but the headaches involved with that were just insurmountable and every install became a manual one. I moved to to a MSI setup, but now that is starting cause problems when upgrading. I have a machine that was working fine, but now will not install it properly, and when I try to run the VSTOInstaller.exe manually, I get the following error. I have cleaned EVERYTHING off the system (registry, left over files, etc...) and tried multiple builds/configurations to get this to work, but no dice. Normally it creates a whole bunch of garbage files in the "Users\Apps\Local..." area, but not I get nothing. I have tried rebuilding with various configurations, all of which result in the same error:

    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800736B3): The referenced assembly is not installed on your system. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B3) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.GetManifests(TimeSpan timeout) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

    Basically, I hate ClickOnce and I'm totally frustrated right now. How do I create a "normal" setup app for VSTO?

    Thanks!

    Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:40 PM

Answers

  • Hi Erick,

    Thank you for posting.

    I think you may need to wipe the entire ClickOnce cache. Please take a look at this thread:

    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vbide/thread/c868d369-2399-45c7-bc0b-2dd7d5443241/

    You can try to take the following steps from this thread

    1. Run "Mage -cc". (Mage.exe can be found in the .NET 2.0 SDK)

    2. Uninstall the application via Add/Remove Programs and reinstall it

    3. If neither of these work then the last option is to delete the ClickOnce store and get back to clean state. To delete the ClickOnce store delete the folder "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Apps"

    I hope this can help you to resovle your problem.

    Best Regards,


    Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

    • Marked as answer by Erick Cloward Friday, April 15, 2011 4:43 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 3:33 AM

All replies

  • Hi Erick,

    Thank you for posting.

    I think you may need to wipe the entire ClickOnce cache. Please take a look at this thread:

    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vbide/thread/c868d369-2399-45c7-bc0b-2dd7d5443241/

    You can try to take the following steps from this thread

    1. Run "Mage -cc". (Mage.exe can be found in the .NET 2.0 SDK)

    2. Uninstall the application via Add/Remove Programs and reinstall it

    3. If neither of these work then the last option is to delete the ClickOnce store and get back to clean state. To delete the ClickOnce store delete the folder "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Apps"

    I hope this can help you to resovle your problem.

    Best Regards,


    Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

    • Marked as answer by Erick Cloward Friday, April 15, 2011 4:43 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 3:33 AM
  • Bruce,

    I had deleted the items that pertained to my application from the cache before but that never seemed to work.  This time I deleted the whole thing and it seemed to work, though I'm not sure why.  I still hate ClickOnce but it seems that I have to use it for Office AddIns.  I just want a "normal" setup! :)

     

    Thanks.

     

    Erick

    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Hi Bruce,

     

    I couldn't agree with you more. I too have come to hate ClickOnce and its inability to be used with Office. Even setup projects are quite convoluted.

    I don't want to start MS bashing but you would think that MS would be able to get their own tools right but it is an absolute night mare.

    I have found this article that I found really useful.

     

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mcsuksoldev/archive/2010/10/01/building-and-deploying-an-outlook-2010-add-in-part-2-of-2.aspx

     

    This is part 2 and it deals with building a setup project that builds and .msi. 

     

    Hope it helps

     

    Kurt

    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:44 AM