none
How do I build for exactly .NET 4.5.2 using VS 2012 on Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• While my applications technically works with earlier versions of .NET 4.x, I need, for policy reasons, to build them for an officially supported version, which currently excludes all versions before 4.5.2. Some users currently does not support .NET 4.6 or later. Thus, it seems, I must build for exactly .NET 4.5.2.

However, I am currently using Visual Studio 2012 professional on Windows 10, and this is unlikely to change any time soon. While VS 2012 natively supports .NET 4.5(.0), and I can install a target pack for 4.6(.0), it seems the .NET framework 4.5.2 target pack doesn't officially support Windows 10.

If I build for .NET 4.6 and then lies to the taget environment, by manually editing the config file to say 4.5.2 it runs, seemingly without issue, but I cannot imagine that would be an officially Microsoft-supported configuration either. I'm currently out of ideas. Do you have any?

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 2:20 PM

Answers

• Dear Wikholm,

Thank you for your update.

As far as I know, .NET Framework 4.5.2 can support on Windows 10. The download website does not show it, maybe caused by the Windows 10 system not published when the .NET Framework 4.5.2 already published.

If you think directly install .NET Framework 4.5.2 developer pack looks like not steady, you can also install Visual studio 2015 edition to develop your application, since the .NET Framework 4.5.2 is shipped with VS 2015 and you can directly select the target framework to 4.5.2, just like my screenshot in last reply.

Not sure what’s OS edition of your customers? If your application target framework is 4.5.2, then the customer computer that used to run your application should have installed the .NET Framework 4.5.2 or higher versions, because higher version is in-place update to the 4.5.2, but not the opposite.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Wikholm Friday, May 13, 2016 4:44 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:21 AM

All replies

• Dear Wikholm,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

The .NET Framework 4.6 is shipped with Windows 10 and it is a highly compatible, in-place update to the .NET Framework 4/4.5/4.5.1/4.5.2. According to your description, you want to select .NET Framework 4.5.2 as a target framework, you can try to install the .NET Framework 4.5.2 developer pack from: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42637 and install it then reopen VS and see if the target framework includes .NET Framework 4.5.2. or not.

This package installs the following components:

1. .NET Framework 4.5.2
    2. .NET Framework 4.5.2 Multi-Targeting Pack
    3. .NET Framework 4.5.2 Language Packs
    4. .NET Framework 4.5.2 Multi-Targeting Pack Language Packs

From my side, I have Visual Studio 2015 with update 2 on windows 10 and the target framework list like the following screenshot:

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:36 AM
  • Thank you for a prompt reply. The suggested developer pack would perhaps work technically. However, as stated in the OP, it seems that Microsoft doesn't officially support it on Windows 10.

The page you linked to says "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 Developer Pack for Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 SP2 Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2".

We could certainly try it out and see if it appears to work, but since the page doesn't explicitly say "Windows 10", we cannot use that page to show our customers that Microsoft officially supports this developer pack on Windows 10.

We are currently using .NET 4.5(.0) which technically works just fine, but since it is no longer officially supported by Microsoft, I am - to keep things tidy - looking into using 4.5.2 instead. Doing so by installing a developer pack that isn't officially supported by Microsoft on Windows 10, would mean we'd still be using something not officially supported by Microsoft to build our software. While it might work, it wouldn't look any better than if we'd stay on the unsupported 4.5(.0).

Is there a Microsoft web page, or similar, stating that .NET Framework 4.5.2 Developer Pack is officially supported by Microsoft on Windows 10? I have not yet found anything to that effect.

• Edited by Wikholm Wednesday, May 11, 2016 1:17 PM typo
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 1:15 PM
  • Dear Wikholm,

Thank you for your update.

As far as I know, .NET Framework 4.5.2 can support on Windows 10. The download website does not show it, maybe caused by the Windows 10 system not published when the .NET Framework 4.5.2 already published.

If you think directly install .NET Framework 4.5.2 developer pack looks like not steady, you can also install Visual studio 2015 edition to develop your application, since the .NET Framework 4.5.2 is shipped with VS 2015 and you can directly select the target framework to 4.5.2, just like my screenshot in last reply.

Not sure what’s OS edition of your customers? If your application target framework is 4.5.2, then the customer computer that used to run your application should have installed the .NET Framework 4.5.2 or higher versions, because higher version is in-place update to the 4.5.2, but not the opposite.

Best regards,

Sara

• Marked as answer by Wikholm Friday, May 13, 2016 4:44 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:21 AM
  • Most of our customers are on Windows Server 2008 or 2012. They certainly have 4.5.2 since my colleagues who are using either a newer VS or an older Windows version can build things for exactly 4.5.2 and they work just fine.

I've been quite convinced, all the time, that the 4.5.2 target pack should work on Windows 10 too. My only gripe was that since the download page doesn't explicitly say "Windows 10" I cant't use that to claim "Microsoft says this target pack should work on Windows 10". But, well, you work for Microsoft and you just said it should work. I'll settle for that. If my manager doesn't agree, he'll have to get me a newer VS ahead of schedule. Case closed, I think.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Friday, May 13, 2016 4:58 PM
  • Dear Wikholm,

Thank you for your update and thank you for your understanding again.

Best regards,

Sara

Monday, May 16, 2016 1:31 AM