How to move SharePoint 2013 site/sub-site to new web application --> site collection. RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Support Team,

I've multiple sites and sub-site under single WebApplication. Structure is I've WebApplication --> Site collection --> Under this site collection multiple sites and sub-site created. Now I'm facing slowness issues. I'm planing to created new 3 to 4 WebApplication and then I'll create SiteCollection under my new web applications and then I will divide all old site and move the sites based on size from old web application to new web application. Please let me know the simple way to complete this task. In site we have done the customization using InfoPath form and Designer workflow. thanks

• Edited by SP2013Devp Monday, February 19, 2018 10:59 AM
    Monday, February 19, 2018 10:58 AM

Answers

• If Database is the concern, having these site collections in a new Web Application won't help much in terms of performance as I understand. 

You can move your Site collections to a new content DB which is quite normal when the environment grows. However, its always better to test it out properly in a POC first. 

Here's the command -

Move-SPSite <http://ServerName/Sites/SiteName> -DestinationDatabase <DestinationContentDb>

• Marked as answer by SP2013Devp Wednesday, February 21, 2018 9:55 AM
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 7:10 AM
  • Hi SP2013Devp,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:06 AM
  • As I said, you don't need a new Web Application to have a second content database.  You can add a content database to an existing Web Application in Central Admin.  You can then create new site collections in that content database.  A single content database can support multiple site collections, but each site collection can only be stored in a specific content database. If content is moved to a new site collection in a new content database users will continue to see the content using the URL for the new site collection.

But just to be clear.  This is not just a matter of moving records from one database to another. Moving a whole site collection to a new content database can be done using PowerShell.  But moving everything in a subsite into a new site collection in a new content database is much more involved.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Owner/Principal Architect: Don't Pa..Panic Consulting
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:01 PM
  • Everyone has already touched this but to simplify here are the two steps you need to perform:

1. Create new content database in a target web application. It can be done in central admin or using PowerShell:

New-SPContentDatabase -Name <ContentDbName> -WebApplication <WebApplicationName>

2. Move identified site collection to newly destination database:

Move-SPSite <http://ServerName/Sites/SiteName> -DestinationDatabase <DestinationContentDb>

As far as I know there is no data or metadata loss with this operation.

Hope this helps

• Proposed as answer by Sara Fan Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by SP2013Devp Wednesday, February 21, 2018 9:53 AM
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 5:21 PM

All replies

• First, it should be pointed out that moving these sites to a new Web Application is not guaranteed to help with performance issues, unless the slowness is specifically related to having a Content Database that has grown too large.  If the size of the Content Database is the issue then you only need to move to new Content Databases and not to a completely new Web Application.  Each Site Collection can have its own Content Database, without putting it on a new Web Application.

Second, there is no simple way to accomplish what you are suggesting.  Any migration like this, especially when it involves customizations will be complex. Using a third party migration tool will probably be the easiest way to migrate things.  It can be done with Export and Import at the SPWeb level, but you'll probably lose a lot of your customizations and reset some metadata doing it that way.

Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

• Proposed as answer by Ahmed Madany Monday, February 19, 2018 4:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by SP2013Devp Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:18 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SP2013Devp Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:18 AM
    Monday, February 19, 2018 1:16 PM
  • Hi SP2013Devp,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:06 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm agree whatever you have mentioned in your first paragraph. Currently I want to do this activity because the size of the content database is the issue.

Please advice as you have mentioned above to move to new content database. Have question, if i move new content database then how users will see the old recordsI've not done this before so it will be help full if you can suggest steps. Thanks.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:17 AM
  • If Database is the concern, having these site collections in a new Web Application won't help much in terms of performance as I understand. 

You can move your Site collections to a new content DB which is quite normal when the environment grows. However, its always better to test it out properly in a POC first. 

Here's the command -

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 7:10 AM
  • As I said, you don't need a new Web Application to have a second content database.  You can add a content database to an existing Web Application in Central Admin.  You can then create new site collections in that content database.  A single content database can support multiple site collections, but each site collection can only be stored in a specific content database. If content is moved to a new site collection in a new content database users will continue to see the content using the URL for the new site collection.

But just to be clear.  This is not just a matter of moving records from one database to another. Moving a whole site collection to a new content database can be done using PowerShell.  But moving everything in a subsite into a new site collection in a new content database is much more involved.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:01 PM
  • Everyone has already touched this but to simplify here are the two steps you need to perform:

1. Create new content database in a target web application. It can be done in central admin or using PowerShell:

New-SPContentDatabase -Name <ContentDbName> -WebApplication <WebApplicationName>

2. Move identified site collection to newly destination database:

As far as I know there is no data or metadata loss with this operation.

Hope this helps

• Proposed as answer by Sara Fan Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by SP2013Devp Wednesday, February 21, 2018 9:53 AM
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 5:21 PM