none
Does the new Outlook for Windows Add-in require Exchange Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Does the new add-in model for Outlook for Windows require the user to have their mail box on Exchange? If so, is there a minimum version requirement?

Please let me know if this is not the correct forum to be asking about the new Outlook / Office add-ins (JavaScript / HTML).

Monday, May 9, 2016 10:00 PM

Answers

• Hi paulwozniak,

>> Does the new add-in model for Outlook for Windows require the user to have their mail box on Exchange? If so, is there a minimum version requirement?

Yes, to test and run an outlook add in, the user’s outlook email account must reside on Exchange 2013 or later, which is available through Office 365, Exchange Online, or through an on-premises installation.

For requirements for running Office add-ins, you could refer the link below:

# Requirements for running Office Add-ins

http://dev.office.com/docs/add-ins/overview/requirements-for-running-office-add-ins

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by paulwozniak Tuesday, May 10, 2016 3:59 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 2:37 AM

All replies

• Hi paulwozniak,

>> Does the new add-in model for Outlook for Windows require the user to have their mail box on Exchange? If so, is there a minimum version requirement?

Yes, to test and run an outlook add in, the user’s outlook email account must reside on Exchange 2013 or later, which is available through Office 365, Exchange Online, or through an on-premises installation.

For requirements for running Office add-ins, you could refer the link below:

# Requirements for running Office Add-ins

http://dev.office.com/docs/add-ins/overview/requirements-for-running-office-add-ins

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by paulwozniak Tuesday, May 10, 2016 3:59 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 2:37 AM
  • Thanks very much Edward. Really appreciate the quick response.

Do you know if there are any published stats about the adoption of Exchange 2013 or later by enterprise customers?

I'm just wondering whether that is a serious limitation or not.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 3:56 PM
  • Hi paulwozniak,

>> Do you know if there are any published stats about the adoption of Exchange 2013 or later by enterprise customers?

Do you mean limitation of Exchange 2013 or limitation of Exchange 2013 to create outlook add ins? In my option, you are able to develop outlook add ins with Exchange 2013.

Best Regards,

Edward

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 5:38 AM
  • I mean, are there any stats out there about the adoption rate of Exchange 2013 or later? I am concerned that my user base might be on earlier versions of Exchange, and hence not be able to run these add-ins. But I just don't know what the adoption patterns are like with Exchange.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 12:52 AM
  • Hi paulwozniak,

I am not sure what you mean that user use an earlier version of Exchange. To use Outlook add in, you need to develop with Exchange 2013, and deploy it, then the users in this Exchange 2013 could use this add in. For earlier versions of Exchange, you could not develop Outlook add in, and the users in this Exchange could not use Outlook add in. I suggest you refer the link below for more information about Outlook add in.

http://dev.office.com/docs/add-ins/outlook/overview

Best Regards,

Edward

Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:35 AM