none
Update config file during installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an application (Outlook addin) deployed to some users (150-200) by MSI.

Now I have added some new functionalities to my app, so I need to update the current version to everybody.

The problem I'm facing is that the MyAddin.dll.config file is not being updated with the new version, which has some new keys the app need to work properly.

I thought I would be easier to force this file to be update with the new version, but I can't find the way to do it.

Any idea?

Thanks.

• Moved by Max Meng Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:50 AM moving to a more appropriate forum (From:Office 2007 Planning and Deployment)
    Monday, July 9, 2012 12:34 PM

Answers

• Files and folders that are added or changed after installation could be updated/removed/whatever using an installer custom action. That's usually how I deal with such folders and/or files.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "DamianD" <=?utf-8?B?RGFtaWFuRA==?=> wrote in message news:4f1cd152-f143-4ac8-9b92-9a8bad9ed761...
    i think it is related to fact that file changed after installation and msi will not update changed files by default. I have no idea if there is a global key for msi somewhere to always overwrite, maybe someone with more knowledge about msi can chime in on this.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:25 PM

All replies

• Hi sayago,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

As far as I know that you need uninstall old add-in version if you distribute it via MSI. And if you have config file in it, it will be deleted when the add-in has been uninstall. So I don't think you will meet config file can't update issue if you distribute your add-in via MSI.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:29 AM
  • When I update the addin, all the neccesary files (DLLs) are updated except the config file.

As far as I know, it is not updated because it's a data file and could have user data that we don't want to lose.

But this is no the case: we want to update that file because we need to add more application keys in order to make the app run, and we don't matter about the user settings because they're few and not important.

Any solution about how to do this config file update?

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:54 AM
  • i think it is related to fact that file changed after installation and msi will not update changed files by default. I have no idea if there is a global key for msi somewhere to always overwrite, maybe someone with more knowledge about msi can chime in on this.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:21 AM
  • Files and folders that are added or changed after installation could be updated/removed/whatever using an installer custom action. That's usually how I deal with such folders and/or files.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "DamianD" <=?utf-8?B?RGFtaWFuRA==?=> wrote in message news:4f1cd152-f143-4ac8-9b92-9a8bad9ed761...
    i think it is related to fact that file changed after installation and msi will not update changed files by default. I have no idea if there is a global key for msi somewhere to always overwrite, maybe someone with more knowledge about msi can chime in on this.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:25 PM