none
About the redistribution of stdole.dll (in Office 2010 Primary Interop Assemblies) RRS feed

• Question

• I knew that Microsoft allow redistributing Office 2010 Primary Interop Assemblies.
    But, if I can redistribute only stdole.dll that included in Office 2010 PIA package ?

If Microsoft allow redistributing only stdole.dll, where i can find the notification about that ? 

Note: I'm using VS2012, and  in the redistribution list of VS2012 I didn't found stdole.dll.
    But follow redist.txt of VS2003, stdole.dll is allowed to redistributed.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 5:31 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

Based on my understanding, this is a legal question rather than a technical question, so I'm afraid I'm not the qualified person to answer this question. I suggest you contacting Microsoft via phone for more detail information.

http://support.microsoft.com/ContactUs

Best Regards

Lan

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:55 AM

All replies

• Hello Nguyen,

You are free to distribute any assembly from Office PIAs with your software.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:58 PM
  • Dear Eugene, By your contribution to MSDN forum, i know you are a professional, and i believed what you said. But my customers want to see the official informations from Microsoft. Would you please help me to show the link or documents describing this. If there are no documents, could you help to connect with MSDN Supporters to get confirmation for me ? Sorry for bothering you, but could you help me. Thank you very much.
    Sunday, January 25, 2015 6:28 AM
  • have you checked the word doc file about the redistributiable package ?
    Sunday, January 25, 2015 8:24 AM
  • Hello Ivy002, do you mean o2010pia_eula.txt ? I have read, but i didn't know where in this document show that we free to distribute any assembly from Office PIAs with our software. Could you like to let me know ?
    Thank you.

Sunday, January 25, 2015 3:39 PM
  • Hello Nguyen,

If try to run the Office 2010 PIA Redist package, you can see the following license agreement:

After accepting the terms and unpackaging the installer you may see the following files in the target folder (you choose it after clicking on the Continue button):

It looks like you are interested in the eula and readme files.

Sunday, January 25, 2015 5:28 PM
  • Hello Eugene

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, i did run the Office 2010 PIA Redist package and also got the license agreement.
    I think the license agreement only notify that o2010pia.msi (installer package of PIAs) is a redistributable code, that free to distribute (not for assemplies inside :( ).
    My customer don't want to redistribute the whole PIAs, they just want redistributing only stdole.dll (by putting it together with the executable file, no need register to GAC..etc..).
    So, i want to show them the official informations of Microsoft allow to do so. I didn't see these informations  in o2010pia_eula.txt .
    Oh, my God :(. But, help me...

Sunday, January 25, 2015 5:54 PM
  • Try to re-read the license terms shown on the first screenshot.
    Sunday, January 25, 2015 7:41 PM
  • What Eugene means is that you want to show them (your customers) to show the license file. Read 2. Install and use rights // second point.

"You agree not to disclose ..." and "This information is confidential"

© 2015 Thomas Roskop

Germany // Deutschland

Sunday, January 25, 2015 7:47 PM
  • Sorry Eugene and Thomas, my English understanding is limited. Could you help to explain the sentense "You agree not to disclose to third parties the location of the Distributable Code and any information contained in the 02010PA_readme.rtf file.   This information is confidential. ". Does it mean i free to distribute any assemply in PIAs package ?

Monday, January 26, 2015 2:09 AM
  • Hi ,

Based on my understanding, this is a legal question rather than a technical question, so I'm afraid I'm not the qualified person to answer this question. I suggest you contacting Microsoft via phone for more detail information.

Best Regards

Lan

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:55 AM
  • Hello NguyenHS,

as Lanlan said, this is a jusritical question so do not expect perfect and guaranteed answers from us.

But this sentence means as far as i understood that you are not allowed to tell others were the Source code is and moreover you are not allowed to show them this license file.

© 2015 Thomas Roskop

Germany // Deutschland

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 1:10 PM
  • The key thing is the following statements I suppose:

Distributable Code. The software contains code that you are permitted to distribute in or link to for download and use as part of programs you develop if you comply with the terms below.

You may permit distributors of your programs to copy and distribute or link to for download the Distributable Code as part of those programs.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:29 PM
  • Thank you everyone,

All what i'm looking for :
    . Right to Use and Distribute. The code and text files listed below are “Distributable Code.”
    • O2010pia.msi file. You may copy and distribute or link to for download and use the object code form of code listed in the O2010pia.msi file. 

Why didn't i  find above statements in license agreement and why no one show me exactly  them ?
    I will register a English course tomorow, yes, immediately tomorow.

• Marked as answer by NguyenHS Thursday, January 29, 2015 5:01 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by NguyenHS Friday, January 30, 2015 5:18 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 5:01 PM
  • Sorry for reopening the question.

I showed the license agreement to my customer (i'm an outsourcing of them), and highlight the statement "You may copy and distribute or link to for download and use the object code form of code listed in the O2010pia.msi file. ". But they didn't accept, they still think that only O2010pia.msi is permitted to redistribute.

In technical view, is the words "object code form of code listed in the O2010pia.msi file" imply assemplies (stdole.dll is one of them) included in PIAs package ?

@Eugene, Lan:  For you, may be this is an silly question, but please help..

Friday, January 30, 2015 5:18 PM
  • Hi,

I understand your concern, but as I mentioned in my previous reply, I'm not the qualified person to answer this question,

I suggest you contacting Microsoft via phone, I think it is the most efficient way to answer this question.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards

Lan

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 5:05 AM