Personal Starter Kit for MS Access RRS feed

• Question

• User-728852758 posted
    Hello everyone,

I am new to .NET and I too have been trying to work with the Personal Starter Kit as a learning tool. Unfortunately, my host does not allow the user of  SQL Express 2005 and SQL Server will cost extra.

I converted the "personal" database into MS Access and then used the Sample Access Provider Starter Kit to modify the Login controls to use a MS Access database. Now the project runs on two MS Access databases.

I have created a template file for you to use:
    http://www.victorcorey.com/PersonalStarterKitMSAccess.vsi

Please let me know if there are any problems.

Thanks,
    VC
    Wednesday, November 30, 2005 8:40 PM

All replies

• User-838934829 posted
    I failed to install this on my VWD Express, is it for Pro only?
    Thursday, December 1, 2005 1:11 AM
  • User-728852758 posted
    Hmmmm....

No,  I am using VWD Express.

You should download and open the PersonalStarterKitMSAccess.vsi file and it will install a zip file (Personal Start Kit MS Access.zip) in the C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C# directory.

Then when you start VWD Express and goto:
    File > New Website...
    You should see a template for Personal Start Kit MS Access.

Hope this helps. I was able to create a website from the template and everything works fine. But, I am new to this so I could have done something wrong.
    Thursday, December 1, 2005 11:14 AM
  • User-838934829 posted
    Thanks Victor,

This is the error I get "Installation stopped because the directory for the ProjectType value did not exist.  The project type is invalid for your installation of Visual Studio."

I managed to extract your code but failed in using the default way to install it.
    Thursday, December 1, 2005 9:32 PM
  • User805531637 posted

Jackli,

The problem you're facing is because you need to have Visual C# Express installed in your computer in order to complete the installation. I had the same problem. It was until I downloaded and installed VS C# that the installation worked.

Best Regards,

Carlos Lone

http://blog.contoso.net/dotnetmaniagt

Thursday, December 8, 2005 1:57 PM
  • User-2016200658 posted

Victor,

Thank you so much for your effort by putting up this starter kit. I installed it and it show no sign of failing. But i can't see it from "new project" under C# express. I unzip the file manually and tried to open it as a web project. there is no .csproj file at the root. However there is an empty .webproj file i don't know how VS will recognize this. please advice how should i use it from here.

Your time is highly appreciated!

Sue

Friday, December 16, 2005 12:01 PM
  • User-2016200658 posted

Never mind, I found a way to work around it and it works perfectly fine. Thanks so much for Victor for your genorous sharing.

Sue

Friday, December 16, 2005 2:57 PM
  • User800249748 posted

Sue,

You shouldn't need to unzip the file. When you install the .vsi file, it should put the .zip file in the C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C# directory. I am using VWD Express. I'm not sure if that is different than C# Express.

Once I installed it, I restarted VWD Express and when I create a new project that is one of the options.

Hope this helps.

Victor

Friday, December 16, 2005 3:05 PM
  • User-402775661 posted

Hello everyone,

I am new to .NET and I too have been trying to work with the Personal Starter Kit as a learning tool. Unfortunately, my host does not allow the user of  SQL Express 2005 and SQL Server will cost extra.

I converted the "personal" database into MS Access and then used the Sample Access Provider Starter Kit to modify the Login controls to use a MS Access database. Now the project runs on two MS Access databases.

I have created a template file for you to use:

Thanks,
    VC

I am net to .NET too. Thank you for this MS Access version of the tool kit. About to upload to the hosting webserver, but I am wondering how the connectionstring should look like in order to be able to connect to the provided access databases. Thank you in advance and pls forgive my ignorance in .NET.

Thanks

Saturday, December 17, 2005 5:42 AM
  • User800249748 posted
    I am net to .NET too. Thank you for this MS Access version of the tool kit. About to upload to the hosting webserver, but I am wondering how the connectionstring should look like in order to be able to connect to the provided access databases. Thank you in advance and pls forgive my ignorance in .NET.

Thanks

I don't think you should have to change the connectionstring at all. I believe the Data Source=|DataDirectory|. References the App_Data directory.

Monday, December 19, 2005 12:58 PM
  • User800249748 posted

I modified the .vsi file to hopefully fix the installation problems. The template should now be installed here: C:\Documents and Settings\{user}\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual Web Developer\Personal Starter Kit MS Access.zip

Please let me know if there are any problems with the file.

Thanks,
    VC

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 10:41 AM
  • User-1344764488 posted

Hello vitorcorey

Congratulations your access version modification works perfectly [:)]

Have you ever tied to run the application on ODBC ?
    The reaseon is, that most host providers requesting only this type of connection.

Yersterday I made my first experiance.
    I downloaded the newest MS Odbc assembly. After installing I changed all Oledb to Odbc.

In web.config added two DSN entries for Personal and AspNetDb.

When I compile, I get several errors, because from Namespace: Microsoft.Data.Odbc
    most Types are not supported ! [:(]

Do you know any solution to fix this problem?

Best would be in web.config

Wish you happy Xmas

Richard

Saturday, December 24, 2005 3:32 AM
  • User800249748 posted
    Hello vitorcorey

Congratulations your access version modification works perfectly [:)]

Have you ever tied to run the application on ODBC ?
    The reaseon is, that most host providers requesting only this type of connection.

Yersterday I made my first experiance.
    I downloaded the newest MS Odbc assembly. After installing I changed all Oledb to Odbc.

In web.config added two DSN entries for Personal and AspNetDb.

When I compile, I get several errors, because from Namespace: Microsoft.Data.Odbc
    most Types are not supported ! [:(]

Do you know any solution to fix this problem?

Best would be in web.config

Wish you happy Xmas

Richard

Unfortunately, I have not tried. I would think your idea is correct. You may also have to change the connectionstring.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 12:25 PM
  • User-1344764488 posted

Hello victorcorey

Its' not as simple as it looks like, because the aspnetdb provider which is developed in C+ + have other types as we expect in C# !

Does your application run on a server ?

How did you manage it ?

Richard

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 1:50 PM
  • User-751444428 posted
    Attempt to edit photo album throws this error.

Exception Details: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\<--path to website-->\Upload'.

Line 348:		DirectoryInfo d = new DirectoryInfo(System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath("~/Upload"));
    Line 349: //DirectoryInfo d = new DirectoryInfo("c:\\Upload");
    Line 350: return d.GetFileSystemInfos("*.*");
    Line 351: }
    Line 352:

Source File: PhotoManager.cs    Line: 350
    Wednesday, December 28, 2005 1:57 PM
  • User800249748 posted

Unfortunately, I have only run the application locally. I am still working on some more modifications. I would think if you modify the code in the App_Code directory (ex. AccessConnectionHelper.cs, AccessMembershipProvider.cs, etc.) by changing the references from System.Data.OleDb to System.Data.Odbc.

It would be a very tedious task, but I would think that should work.

Thursday, December 29, 2005 10:36 AM
  • User800249748 posted
    Attempt to edit photo album throws this error.

Exception Details: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\<--path to website-->\Upload'.

Line 348:		DirectoryInfo d = new DirectoryInfo(System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath("~/Upload"));
    Line 349: //DirectoryInfo d = new DirectoryInfo("c:\\Upload");
    Line 350: return d.GetFileSystemInfos("*.*");
    Line 351: }
    Line 352:

Source File: PhotoManager.cs    Line: 350

Hmmm...

This sounds like a stupid question, but do you have the Upload directory in the root of your site? If so, I believe it needs read/write access.

Thursday, December 29, 2005 1:53 PM
  • User-751444428 posted

Hmmm...

This sounds like a stupid question, but do you have the Upload directory in the root of your site? If so, I believe it needs read/write access.

Actually that was the problem.  The install didn't have the folder and I needed to add it manually.  Unfortunately, there 's no way to delete posts in this forum so I couldn't remove my earlier post.

thanks for responding and reminding me to post again.
    Thursday, December 29, 2005 6:18 PM
  • User800249748 posted

Actually that was the problem.  The install didn't have the folder and I needed to add it manually.  Unfortunately, there 's no way to delete posts in this forum so I couldn't remove my earlier post.

thanks for responding and reminding me to post again.
    No worries... I will take a look at the installer and fix the missing directory.

Sorry about that.

VC

Thursday, December 29, 2005 7:13 PM
  • User631164405 posted

Hi,

I hve installed your Personal Starter Kit for MS Access and it works fine on Visual Web Developer but when running live I can't log in.

If I type a wrong userid/pwd the error message appears. When I type the right userid/pwd nothing happens (It doesn't display Welcome <userid>...any idea?

Regards Peter

Sunday, January 1, 2006 11:29 AM
  • User631164405 posted

I found the error. When I Web Alias to redirect my domain it didn't work but when I switched it to Web Forward it works fine.

Kretzmann 

Monday, January 2, 2006 2:12 AM
  • User1906294024 posted

The starter kit works on my local server fine, but unfortunately when I put it on the remote server I get the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="Off"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Can enybody help?
    Tuesday, January 24, 2006 2:45 AM
  • User-2041805088 posted

Make sure that the customErrors node of Web.config has mode set to Off so you can see the runtime error.

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="Off"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 3:49 AM
  • User1906294024 posted

[:(]  I have changed it but I still get the same error.

could you tell me the reason?

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 5:39 AM
  • User-554730672 posted

Does anyone know if this has been converted to VB?

Does anyone know if this can be converted to VB (if not why)?

I have an application that may benefit from this.

Rob
    rgibson@robgibson.ca
    www.robgibson.ca

Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:31 PM
  • User-2041805088 posted

[:(]  I have changed it but I still get the same error.

could you tell me the reason?

You might have a stray character or incorrect syntax in Web.config, which could be a possible reason why you're still getting that after setting customErrors mode="Off". Double check Web.config and make sure that everything looks OK.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:59 PM
  • User800249748 posted

Does anyone know if this has been converted to VB?

Does anyone know if this can be converted to VB (if not why)?

I have an application that may benefit from this.

Rob
    rgibson@robgibson.ca
    www.robgibson.ca

Hello Rob,

I just finished the conversion to VB. Actually the Membership Provider is still in C#, but the rest of the site is in VB. I just have to package it up. I will hopefully put it up tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Victor

Thursday, January 26, 2006 11:53 PM
  • User-2016200658 posted

Victor,

Just let your know that I use some of your C# AccessHelper code for my site at http://www.edream.org. It works great! I recommend you to everyone that don't have sql server.

Sue

Friday, January 27, 2006 9:37 AM
  • User-554730672 posted

Thanks Victor. Your work is much appreciated.

I have to give credit to this forum and the people on it. I've learned quite a bit from pulling apart the Starter Kit and getting answers from the people here. The forum for VB.NET and the Amazon Movie VB Starter Kit is not well organized at all.

Friday, January 27, 2006 9:43 AM
  • User800249748 posted

The MS Access conversions can be found here:

C#: http://www.victorcorey.com/personalStarterKitMSAccess.vsi

VB: http://www.victorcorey.com/personalStarterKitMSAccessVB.vsi

Thanks,
    Victor

Friday, January 27, 2006 12:00 PM
  • User800249748 posted

Victor,

Just let your know that I use some of your C# AccessHelper code for my site at http://www.edream.org. It works great! I recommend you to everyone that don't have sql server.

Sue

Hello Sue,

Thank you. Although, I can not take the credit. I just used the Sample Access Provider from Microsoft (http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/downloads/providers/default.aspx).

Your site looks great.

Thanks,
    Victor

Friday, January 27, 2006 12:05 PM
  • User42847266 posted

Victor,

I am new to ASP and must be doing something stupid.  I have loaded the Personal starter kits for access (Both the C# and VB) and I get them to work in Visual Studio.  My problem is when running the site on the web server I get the following error message.  Do you have any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'xmlns'.

Source Error:

Line 1:  <?xml version="1.0"?>
    Line 2:  <configuration xmlns="
    http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">
    Line 3:   <connectionStrings>
    Line 4:      <add name="Personal" connectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|Personal.mdb;" providerName="System.Data.OleDb"/>

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\asptestsite\web.config    Line: 2

Thanks,

KC78

Monday, January 30, 2006 11:28 AM
  • User-2041805088 posted

Victor,

I am new to ASP and must be doing something stupid.  I have loaded the Personal starter kits for access (Both the C# and VB) and I get them to work in Visual Studio.  My problem is when running the site on the web server I get the following error message.  Do you have any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'xmlns'.

Source Error:

Line 1:  <?xml version="1.0"?>
    Line 2:  <configuration xmlns="
    http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">
    Line 3:   <connectionStrings>
    Line 4:      <add name="Personal" connectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|Personal.mdb;" providerName="System.Data.OleDb"/>

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\asptestsite\web.config    Line: 2

Thanks,

KC78

Are you trying to deply it on .NET 1.1? That is what that error makes it look like.

Monday, January 30, 2006 3:36 PM
  • User42847266 posted

Your right.  ASP.NET 2.0 was loaded on the server but it was not using it.

Thanks,

Monday, January 30, 2006 3:46 PM
  • User934330936 posted

When I try to open the vsi file I get an error that the file is corrupted.

I'm using VS2005 Basic Edition (V8.0.50727) and have C# language installed.

I have the Personal Web Site running with SQLExpress on my host but would like to use MS Access since I'm more familiar with it. Also, managing SQLExpress databases on a remote host is damn near impossible.

Friday, February 10, 2006 7:59 AM
  • User800249748 posted

When I try to open the vsi file I get an error that the file is corrupted.

I'm using VS2005 Basic Edition (V8.0.50727) and have C# language installed.

I have the Personal Web Site running with SQLExpress on my host but would like to use MS Access since I'm more familiar with it. Also, managing SQLExpress databases on a remote host is damn near impossible.

Hello johnsi,

Sorry about that. I was updating my website last night and somehow the files got corrupted. I have updated the files. You will need to download them again.

Thanks,
    Victor

Friday, February 10, 2006 11:07 AM
  • User-303566757 posted

Victor,

Your sharing and help are greatly appreciated.

I am new to asp.net 2.0. I need to use ms access instead of sql express as well. I downloaded your kit, which is running well.

You said "I just used the Sample Access Provider from Microsoft". May i know your steps to integrate this to your kit?

I have a site with sql express already, so it is difficult to use your template at this point. I am trying to find an easy way to use ms access for those login controls in asp.net 2.

Thanks a lot. -Dale

Monday, May 1, 2006 11:01 PM
  • User-303566757 posted
    Never mind. I have found a solution here. It is working with MS Access. Thanks anyway. -dale
    Tuesday, May 2, 2006 5:05 PM
  • User-303566757 posted

Hi,

I developed a web with ms access db for membership (my host company supports this only) based on victor's example.

So I uploaded files to the server.

Without loading dll, I got this:

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'AccessProviders.AccessMembershipProvider'.

Host company said they may not support this provider, but I suspect they do not support asp.net 2.0 website config. They provide the following example to access DB in asp.net 2.0:

string sPath = "C:\\sites\\single??\\username\\database\\YourDB.mdb";
    string strConnection = ("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OleDb.4.0;Data Source=" 
                + (sPath + ""));
    string sSQL = "Select * from tablename";
    Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection objConnection = new Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection(strConnection);
    Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand objCommandAuction1 = new Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand(sSQL, objConnection);
    Data.IDataReader oDr;
    try {
        objConnection.Open();
        oDr = objCommandAuction1.ExecuteReader();
        while (oDr.Read) {
            // Write information from database here
        }
        oDr.Close();
    }
    catch (Exception ex) {
        Response.Write(ex.Message);
    }
    objConnection.Close();

<!--System.Security.VerificationException: Operation could destabilize the runtime. at CarlosAg.Utils.Colorizers.CSharpColorizer.IsKeyword(String word) at CarlosAg.Utils.Colorizers.LanguageColorizer.Colorize(IWriter writer, String text) at Translate.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)-->

Any suggestion? Thanks. -Dale

Thursday, May 4, 2006 10:32 PM
  • User-303566757 posted

got this working by using absolute path. thanks anyway. -dale

Thursday, May 4, 2006 11:00 PM
  • User-357686798 posted

Thx, for a great template.

I have a small problem, when i CTRL+F5 in Visual studio everything work, and i can login with my account i have made. But when i try on the webserver where i uploaded the same code, then i can't login? I can see that it should work, because if I choose a wrong password, it says that it was wrong, but when i choose the right one, I just get an empty page.

Any thing i need to do?

Regards Bo

Friday, May 19, 2006 6:28 PM
  • User165292585 posted

Hey all,

I'm a newbie to this ASP.NET stuff.  Want to learn and have downloaded Victor's version of the starter site using VB and Access.  I seem to have two issues (be gentle, I'm a newbie)  BTW, both of these worked when I had the original version of the asp.net starter site.

First, after installing the site, I click CTRL - F5 and get this error:

Unknown

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Unknown

Source Error:

Line 94:             lookupCommand.Parameters.Add(new OleDbParameter("@AppName", applicationName));
    Line 95: 
    Line 96:             object lookupResult = lookupCommand.ExecuteScalar();
    Line 97:             if ((lookupResult != null) && (lookupResult is int)) {
    Line 98:                 return (int)lookupResult;

Secondly,  I cannot set up an administrator account for the site.  I go to "website" -> ASP.NET Configuration -> Security and I get this error message:

"There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store."

If I then go to "Choose Data Store" and then to "Select a single provider for all site management data" it says "no providers created" how do I create it... is it talking about an ODBC driver?

Your help to my dumb question(s) is appreciated.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 1:30 PM
  • User-1289615613 posted
    Hey Victor,

Dude this post saved my life today...Argh! It's so hard to work with SQLExpress on a development machine...I thought it was just gonna be a plug and play kind of thing...but it was hell  =)

So thanks again for posting that.

Based on my usage of it it took a little tweaking to get it to run in my SurveyCenter application (for instance I had to modify the Application name table, and clear out the old entries. Then I had to fiddle with the Configuration Manager tool site for a bit...at first it didn't work but after a few restarts it worked...the rest was modifying web.config.

Then I uploaded and Whammo! It didn't work :)

Then I did some more surfing, and sacrificing to the gods...then finally I found out that you have to tell your host to give the database folder, and all databases in it read/write/modify permissions...

That did it...ok,

Thanks a billion...

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 12:17 AM
  • User-1289615613 posted
    Oops...correction...production machine there...Argh! It's so hard to work with SQLExpress on a production machine.
    Wednesday, June 7, 2006 12:18 AM
  • User800249748 posted

Hmmm...Not sure. I just uploaded the files to my host and everything worked.

Have you checked the rights for the database directory?

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 9:40 AM
  • User800249748 posted

Hmmm...Not sure. I just uploaded the files to my host and everything worked.

Have you checked the rights for the database directory?

Opps..This was a reply to Bravo

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 9:40 AM
  • User800249748 posted

Hey all,

I'm a newbie to this ASP.NET stuff.  Want to learn and have downloaded Victor's version of the starter site using VB and Access.  I seem to have two issues (be gentle, I'm a newbie)  BTW, both of these worked when I had the original version of the asp.net starter site.

First, after installing the site, I click CTRL - F5 and get this error:

Unknown

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Unknown

Source Error:

Line 94:             lookupCommand.Parameters.Add(new OleDbParameter("@AppName", applicationName));
    Line 95: 
    Line 96:             object lookupResult = lookupCommand.ExecuteScalar();
    Line 97:             if ((lookupResult != null) && (lookupResult is int)) {
    Line 98:                 return (int)lookupResult;

Secondly,  I cannot set up an administrator account for the site.  I go to "website" -> ASP.NET Configuration -> Security and I get this error message:

"There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store."

If I then go to "Choose Data Store" and then to "Select a single provider for all site management data" it says "no providers created" how do I create it... is it talking about an ODBC driver?

Your help to my dumb question(s) is appreciated.

Are you running this under 2.0?

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 9:41 AM
  • User165292585 posted

Victor -

Not sure what was different, but I whiped the O/S and had to install all of this on another machine and now that I try it, it all works.  Not sure what was different.

Thanks for the help though.

Sunday, June 11, 2006 9:46 PM
  • User-357686798 posted

Got it working, i talked to the company that host my side, and they change the rights on the server, so now everything is working.

Again, thanx for a great job on this project.

Right now im trying to make a page that i can use as contol of members and roles.
    Can i use the "AccessMembershipProvider.cs" and "AccessRoleProvider.cs" for this?
    I have tryed ObjectDataSource, but i get an error, so i probaly did something wrong. But i have to use the "AccessMembershipProvider.cs" or am i wrong?

Regards BravoOsca

Friday, June 16, 2006 5:27 AM
  • User800249748 posted

Yes, you should be able to use the Access Providers. There are some limitations to the providers that are referenced in the readme. See below:

All providers
    -------------
    None of the providers support the "commandTimeout" attribute.  The providers issue OleDb commands using
    the default timeout for OleDbCommand(s) which is 30 seconds.

The providers all carry out read and write operations against the $safeprojectname$ database using the security
    credentials associated with the current request.  Unlike the built-in providers, the sample providers do
    not suspend impersonation when client impersonation is in effect.  This means one of the following
    identities requires Read/Write access to the App_Data directory:
         1.  The worker process identity if no impersonation is used.
         2.  The application impersonation identity if <identity impersonate="true" user="userid" password="pwd" /> is used.
         3.  Each client identity if <identity impersonate="true" /> is used.

Parameter validation and syntax checking of parameters is current as of ASP.NET 2.0 Beta 1.  As a result
    the parameter validations used in Beta 2 and RTM providers will differ slightly from the validations
    enforced by the $safeprojectname$ providers.

Membership
    ----------
    Password strength requirements are not enforced in the CreateUser and ChangePassword methods.  The settings are
    read from configuration, but at are not used by the provider.

Account lockouts are not implemented in the provider.  The UnlockUser method has no effect, and the provider
    does not count bad password or bad password answer attempts.

The $safeprojectname$ provider does not support creating a new user with an explicit UserId (i.e. providerUserKey).

The $safeprojectname$ provider does not support retrieving a user based on UserId (i.e. providerUserKey).

Role Manager
    ------------
    No known limitations.

-------
    Marking Profile properties with "serializeAs=binary" will not work in partial trust web applications.  Since
    the sample provider does not assert any serialization permission (it can't since the sample provider is not
    inside of System.Web.dll), the demand for serialization permission will fail in High trust or lower.

Web Parts Personalization
    -------------------------
    No known limitations.

Friday, June 16, 2006 10:46 AM
  • User800249748 posted

I used the original code sample from http://www.willyd.ca and modified it to work with the Microsoft Access database. It includes membership management, link management, a blogging feature. I just finished the code changes.

I should be able to package it up pretty soon, if your interested. I just have to do some code clean-up.

Friday, June 16, 2006 11:07 AM
  • User-357686798 posted

It would be nice to have.. The one that you got is that in VB or in C#?

So im very interested.. I will try to take a look at the code, at http://www.willyd.ca, and maby i can learn something from it ;o)

Saturday, June 17, 2006 5:44 PM
  • User165292585 posted

Hello, I'm having a different problem now.

I've deployed the site at http://www.thevalenzuelas.net and it only occurs (that I can tell) when I login using a username and password that is valid.  If I use an invalid one, it tells me that my login attempt was unsuccessful.  I haven't seen it when doing any other actions.

I'm still a newbie and trying to decipher this error message, wondering if someone can help me put this into English?

Thanks....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Operation must use an updateable query.

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Operation must use an updateable query.

Source Error:

Line 880:                        command.Parameters.Add(CreateDateTimeOleDbParameter("@LastLoginDate", DateTime.Now));
    Line 881:                        command.Parameters.Add(new OleDbParameter("@UserId", userId));
    Line 882:                        command.ExecuteNonQuery();
    Line 883:
    Line 884:                        command = new OleDbCommand(@"UPDATE  aspnet_Users " +

Source File: d:\hosting\remvalenzuela\App_Code\csharp\AccessMembershipProvider.cs    Line: 882

Stack Trace:

[OleDbException (0x80004005): Operation must use an updateable query.]
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextForSingleResult(tagDBPARAMS dbParams, Object& executeResult) +267
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandText(Object& executeResult) +192
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior behavior, Object& executeResult) +48
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderInternal(CommandBehavior behavior, String method) +106
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +108
       AccessProviders.AccessMembershipProvider.ValidateUser(String username, String password) in d:\hosting\remvalenzuela\App_Code\csharp\AccessMembershipProvider.cs:882

[FileNotFoundException]
       AccessProviders.AccessMembershipProvider.ValidateUser(String username, String password) in d:\hosting\remvalenzuela\App_Code\csharp\AccessMembershipProvider.cs:922
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnAuthenticate(AuthenticateEventArgs e) +160
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin() +105
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +99
       System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +35
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +115
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +171
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5102

Monday, June 19, 2006 12:05 AM
  • User800249748 posted

You need to make sure the database has write access.

Hello, I'm having a different problem now.

I've deployed the site at http://www.thevalenzuelas.net and it only occurs (that I can tell) when I login using a username and password that is valid.  If I use an invalid one, it tells me that my login attempt was unsuccessful.  I haven't seen it when doing any other actions.

I'm still a newbie and trying to decipher this error message, wondering if someone can help me put this into English?

Thanks....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Operation must use an updateable query.

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Operation must use an updateable query.

Source Error:

Line 880:                        command.Parameters.Add(CreateDateTimeOleDbParameter("@LastLoginDate", DateTime.Now));
    Line 881:                        command.Parameters.Add(new OleDbParameter("@UserId", userId));
    Line 882:                        command.ExecuteNonQuery();
    Line 883:
    Line 884:                        command = new OleDbCommand(@"UPDATE  aspnet_Users " +

Source File: d:\hosting\remvalenzuela\App_Code\csharp\AccessMembershipProvider.cs    Line: 882

Stack Trace:

[OleDbException (0x80004005): Operation must use an updateable query.]
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextForSingleResult(tagDBPARAMS dbParams, Object& executeResult) +267
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandText(Object& executeResult) +192
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior behavior, Object& executeResult) +48
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderInternal(CommandBehavior behavior, String method) +106
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +108
       AccessProviders.AccessMembershipProvider.ValidateUser(String username, String password) in d:\hosting\remvalenzuela\App_Code\csharp\AccessMembershipProvider.cs:882

[FileNotFoundException]
       AccessProviders.AccessMembershipProvider.ValidateUser(String username, String password) in d:\hosting\remvalenzuela\App_Code\csharp\AccessMembershipProvider.cs:922
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnAuthenticate(AuthenticateEventArgs e) +160
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin() +105
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +99
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +115
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +171
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5102

Monday, June 19, 2006 12:02 PM
  • User-728852758 posted

Hello everyone,

I have posted an update to the Personal Starter Kit for MS Access on my website http://www.VictorCorey.com. The Extended Personal Starter Kit for MS Access contains administration for links, photos, news, blogs, and users. The update is listed as the Extended version.

Please let me know if you have any problems.

Thanks,
    Victor Corey
    http://www.VictorCorey.com

Saturday, June 24, 2006 8:00 PM
  • User1973319611 posted

It works great!

I've a question, how do i edit my connectionstring. I've placed the access database in my domain:

mydomain.nl\db\ASPnetDB.mdb

<add name="PersonalAccessProvider" connectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|ASPNetDB.mdb" providerName="System.Data.OleDb"/>

please help me out

Monday, July 31, 2006 1:11 PM
  • User-1755755613 posted

hi , i can not send mail to users. i think we must add a smtp server address. bu how ? this is error code.

A from e-mail address must be specified in the From property or the system.net/mailSettings/smtp config section.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: A from e-mail address must be specified in the From property or the system.net/mailSettings/smtp config section.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): A from e-mail address must be specified in the From property or the system.net/mailSettings/smtp config section.]
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.MailDefinition.CreateMailMessage(String recipients, IDictionary replacements, String body, Control owner) +1581
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.LoginUtil.CreateMailMessage(String email, String userName, String password, MailDefinition mailDefinition, String defaultBody, Control owner) +169
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.LoginUtil.SendPasswordMail(String email, String userName, String password, MailDefinition mailDefinition, String defaultSubject, String defaultBody, OnSendingMailDelegate onSendingMailDelegate, OnSendMailErrorDelegate onSendMailErrorDelegate, Control owner) +347
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.PasswordRecovery.AttemptSendPasswordQuestionView() +657
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.PasswordRecovery.AttemptSendPassword() +68
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.PasswordRecovery.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +84
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +85
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +155
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +4921

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 12:55 PM
  • User-2085537476 posted
    you have to set up the smtp server through the asp configuration.  goto website on the menu and click asp.net configuration and you should see it from there.   
    Wednesday, August 23, 2006 10:23 PM
  • User568487600 posted

Hi there Victor,

I'm using your Extended kit. Just wonder how do i implement Dynamic Themes. Thanks

More Power...

Saturday, August 26, 2006 9:28 PM
  • User1443354082 posted

Victor,

You're so good. Have been struggling with my website and host for about 2 months now. Just realised today my host does not take SQL by MS Access (I am a newbie...). Downloaded your codes and it is working!!!!! I have NO error messages! I am sooo happpy!!!!!

Thank you again.

Will work on this base now and try to do someting nice!

[:D]

Saturday, September 16, 2006 6:22 PM
  • User386500900 posted

Has anyone run into problems displaying images? On my local server everything runs great but on my web host only a part of the image is displayed. No errors messages just a partial picture.

Here is an example http://www.annspictures.com/Details.aspx?AlbumID=3&Page=1

Any ideas?

Thanks - Patrick

Saturday, November 18, 2006 1:15 PM
  • User386500900 posted
     I figured it out.

I made a change in the handler.ashx file.

This

const int buffersize = 1024 * 16;

to this

const int buffersize = 1024 * 32;

Thanks for all the great work.

Patrick

Saturday, November 18, 2006 6:48 PM
  • User-1755755613 posted

my english is not good execuse me 

if url is empty this is error occuring... users must add an url when adding a talkback entry.

command.ExecuteNonQuery()
    Line 86:             Catch ex As Exception
    Line 87:                 Throw New Exception("Error thrown in AddTalkBackEntry)", ex.InnerException)
    Line 88:             Finally
    Line 89:                 If Not (connection Is Nothing) Then connection.Close()

Thursday, November 23, 2006 12:13 PM
  • User1335259140 posted

Victor

I am one of the many grateful newbies who relied on you to get started with Access in asp.net.  thank you.

One question if i may.  

You use ObjectDataSource in your site and i wondered why you did so rather than the (apparently) simpler AccessDataSource?

I suspect the ODS is more fundamental than the ADS but there seemed to be advantages for newbies in avoiding the connectionstring.

Info is at  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.accessdatasource.datafile.aspx    but it did take some finding.  when MS does not want you to use a product they certainly know how to get their own way!

Nick 

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 4:07 PM
  • User246643697 posted

Victor,

I am really happy with your Extended PWS. It is simply great, especially for the new options. Now I am figuring out how to make it working on both MS Access and SQL Server. I have a little web site where I put just a few pictures and it works perfect but now my "extended" family want me to create a site for all of them (around 100 people) and I am afraid that MS Access will not be the right solution.

I tried to import the MS Access database into a new "personal" SQL Server database but it copied the views as tables and did not copy the queries. With this results, I did not even try to copy ASPNetDB. How can I change back the database engine?

(I know, it sounds crazy but it happens with a so successful product!)

Thanks a lot!

Monday, February 26, 2007 11:28 PM
  • User596687741 posted

I just wanted to say thank you also. I downloaded sql express but can't get the sql application to connect. I tried various "tips" from this site and others. Then I found your thread, read all the posts, downloaded the file, unzipped it and am already adding photos and working with the administration.

It is so refreshing to find something that works "out of the box." I can't wait to personalize the site!

Cheers,
    SMc[cool]

Friday, March 2, 2007 8:00 PM
  • User-1654255731 posted

Hi all,

I am really excited about this Starter Kit but I was wandering if there is someone out there who changed this "Personal Starter Kit for MS Access" To save album pictures on the filesystem instead of the Access database.

For me it seems a more simple solution and gives me the possibility to change, update pictures via FTP.

What do you think?

Kind Regards,

Jayke

Monday, May 7, 2007 12:22 PM
  • User717709831 posted

Thanks for the Access version of this template. Being new to this Visual basic, I am having trouble posting my site. Everything seems to work fine on my computer but when I move it to the hosting provider I have had noting but trouble.  For a while the front end  worked but not the back. I changed the Data folder to write access and now I get nothing. The front end is not even appearing. I am now getting this message.

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'AccessProviders.AccessRoleProvider'.

Source Error:

Line 39:     <roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="AccessRoleProvider" cacheRolesInCookie="true" cookieName=".ASPXROLES" cookieTimeout="30" cookiePath="/" cookieRequireSSL="false" cookieSlidingExpiration="true" cookieProtection="All">
    Line 40: <providers>
    Line 41: <add name="AccessRoleProvider" type="AccessProviders.AccessRoleProvider" connectionStringName="PersonalAccessProvider" applicationName="personalSite"/>
    Line 42: </providers>
    Line 43: </roleManager>

Would you have any suggestions on what could be doing this?

I have even tried removing and reinstalling everything on the hosting server to try to get the front end working again and nothing. 

Thanks 

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 12:22 PM
  • User1307700709 posted

Hello I have sucessfully able to install Personal Starter Kit for MS Access

I have one question

If I want to use this kit on the internet for personal use then do I require the .NET licence?

Regards, 

Saturday, October 20, 2007 4:08 PM
  • User-1700785811 posted

hello sir I have downloade the program which u gave as link sir i dont know how to insert the image in MS access file can u guid me sir it is very urgent for me... sir.. plz reply me its realy very urgent for me..... inbarajdurai@aol.com i hope i will get a reply

reg

Inba

Friday, November 9, 2007 3:51 PM
  • User596687741 posted

Hi Inba,

You don't insert the image into MS Access. That's the beauty of this application. Save your images to the Upload folder. If your site is remote (you have the site hosted on someone else's server) then you will have to publish the Upload folder.

Then, go to your live website, logon so you can use the administration features. Now go to the Manage link, pick albums. Create a new album and then click the Edit button. Now you can use the contents of the Upload folder (which should show on the left side of the webpage "Bulk Upload Photos") to add to the album.

Or, you can create a new album and upload each photo one at a time via the same page under the "Add Photos" section.

Check out my site: seanmcgriff.net

Good luck!

Friday, November 9, 2007 4:13 PM
  • User596687741 posted

Hi Pisalsachin,

If you want to have this application go live on the internet, you will have to use a hosting service that has the .net framework available. You DO NOT have to have a license, since the .net framework is a free download. Again, the server that hosts your site will need to have it!

Good luck.

Friday, November 9, 2007 4:18 PM
  • User-1700785811 posted

hi...

Thanks.. I will try it and tell my experince to u.. Can u suggest me any free web hosting.......

with reg

Inbaraj.d

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:30 AM
  • User-2087046034 posted

Victor,

I just would like to thank you for making the extended version available for all to use. Since I'm just learning this has saved me countless hours.. I do have a question. I'm trying to add a table so that the site owner can log in and change the content of the Default.aspx page . I can't seem to get this to work. The only option I get when trying to add a table to the personal.mdb is for a new query not add new table. Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 1:31 PM
  • User-273436246 posted

It is running on my computer.Can you please  guide me how to host it on web server  using access database

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:57 AM
  • User800249748 posted

All you would do is upload it to you hosting site.

1. Make sure you host has the 2.0 framework

2. You may need to set permissions on the App_Data directory

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:30 AM
  • User596687741 posted

I have been very happy with www.hostingfest.com. It's very inexpensive for the hosting and domain name. I am not affiliated with them, just satisfied with their hosting. I found them through a link on this home page, under Featured ASP.NET web hosting.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:45 AM
  • User1669426222 posted

Hello All,

I just published the extended personal starter kit and I must say, it's nice to see modified code out there without any serious bugs.  I am somewhat new with asp.net and thought the kit would be a great way to learn more about .net.  I have a question concerning the email feature.  My hosted site does not have a mail server on the hosted site server.  I was told I could use and ip address to get to the mail server.  I've searched through the extended personal starter kit for ms access and cannot find where to modify email configurations.  Can anyone tell me where the ip address to get the email feature working?   Thanks, Jim

Saturday, June 7, 2008 9:23 AM
  • User800249748 posted

Actually I think I missed that in the download. There should be an entry in the web.config. I put it at the end:

<system.net>
            <mailSettings>
                <smtp from="{email_address">
                    <network host="{ip_address}" password="{password}" userName="{username}"/>
                </smtp>
            </mailSettings>
        </system.net>	

Saturday, June 7, 2008 2:04 PM
  • User1669426222 posted

Thank you so much Victor.  That did it!  It appears the only thing left is to incorporate the video page like your site has and modify some of the css files.  I love this product and can't thank you enough.

Visit http://www.jjkiefer.com

Saturday, June 7, 2008 3:51 PM
  • User-1069928006 posted

Hi Victor I have a question regarding the extended personal starter kit. There are two page files, one concerning the password and the other, security question can you explain what your plan was for these pages. I  see that they are in the root of the site I would have though that they would have been placed in the admin folder with of course admin permissions. Unless they were there for learning purposes and expecting the user to place them there in the admin folder themself. I'm a bit confused can you please instruct me in their purpose I don't see them in the sitemap. I ask only because I am a novice user of asp.net and like to ask questions before dive in to things. Thank you for your time.

DKB

Friday, August 22, 2008 9:02 AM
  • User800249748 posted

I think you are talking about the RecoverPassword.aspx and ChangeSecurityQuestion.aspx pages. It has been sometime since I have looked at the codebase from the default install, so I'm not sure if these were implemented. These pages are for users to recover their password and change their security question once logged in that is why they are not in the admin folder. The RecoverPassword is linked from the homepage just below the login form and the ChangeSecurityQuestion is linked from the Profile section once logged in.

Hope this helps.

Friday, August 22, 2008 12:13 PM
  • User-1069928006 posted

Hi Victor I see what is happen with them now I see how they are used once a person is logged in, and thanks for your prompt logical reply.

DKB 

Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:42 PM
  • User-1306803474 posted
    Hi Victorcorey ,

i saw all of the post nd most of the people works fine , but for me i facing the installation problem . When i double click the personalStarterKitMSAccess.vsi, it shows a error msg , "String cannot have zero length " ,currently i am using visual studio 2008 Professional Edition . How can i solve this problem?

THanks.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 12:28 PM
  • User-1170695527 posted

Much thanks to Victor as well. Great job! I can host the website just fine with GoDaddy. The issue I run into is with the connection string. The default connection string in the Extended Kit is the following:

<connectionStrings>
    <add name="Personal" connectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|Personal.mdb;" providerName="System.Data.OleDb"/>
    <add name="PersonalAccessProvider" connectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|ASPNetDB.mdb" providerName="System.Data.OleDb"/>
    </connectionStrings>

I think on any other host this would work. On GoDaddy, however; they require you to put your Access Database in their access_db folder that is created when you setup using an Access Database. The problem here is the DataDirectory part in Source=|DataDirectory|Personal.mdb; for example. Based on the following website:

http://programming.top54u.com/post/ASP-Net-2-0-Access-Database-connection-string.aspx

the DataDirectory folder refers to the App_Data folder which is where a database would be by default but NOT with GoDaddy.

My question is simple: how do I use the Extended Kit with GoDaddy with an Access Database? Is this even possible? I think I can use this connection string if I refer to the access_db folder instead of the App_Data folder. How do I do that? Help here would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 2:03 PM
  • User920174093 posted

Wow. This is awesome! Thanks so much. Had no problems. Just do an Open Web Site within VS2005, and works every time!

Was even able to modify the entire application and db to store pics on a file system instead of inside the MS Access DB, which was getting very large. I store the pic's path as a string in the DB. Works great.

Thanks so much!

Friday, February 20, 2009 9:12 AM
  • User920174093 posted

Hi kgraue,

You likely figured this out by now :)

I, too, have godaddy and use this setup. I bypass the godaddy setup of having to put the access db file in their access_db folder. I have found that the MS Access DB file doesn't have to reside in the access_db folder. I completely ignore this folder and place my Access DBs wherever I desire. I just ensure the godaddy folder that houses my Access DB file has write permissions. My godaddy access_db folder is actually empty right now :)

My personal.mdb lives in the App_Data folder as the kit suggested. I never touched the kit's default settings. I loaded the kit on my local machine, ensured it worked, then just uploaded all the files from my local machine to my godaddy website, and it just always has worked. 

Were you able to change the web.config settings in the kit to accomodate the godaddy access_db folder? This would be great info to know.

Good luck!

Saturday, April 18, 2009 10:09 PM
  • User309094660 posted

Hi,

Does anyone have the Personal Starter Kit for MS Access coded in VB.NET? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Saturday, September 19, 2009 5:34 PM
  • User596687741 posted

Mine is currently using VB.net with access:

http://www.seanmcgriff.net

The only problems I've had so far are the permissions management. That doesn't work. I have another site in our company's intranet that uses SQL w/VB.net and everything works fine.

SMc

Monday, September 21, 2009 1:59 PM
  • User-1069928006 posted

Can you share out how you got the website to work with godaddy I'm guessing you did have to change the connection string.

DKB

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:02 AM
  • User1669426222 posted

All I did was give GoDaddy.com the IP address of my website which was being hosted by another company. 

Monday, February 22, 2010 1:15 PM
  • User1669426222 posted

I've forgotten the admin password.  Is there a way to reset it somehow? 

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:54 PM