Show List Item Data in Workflow Task Item RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following scenario:

1. A user clicks on a link in sharepoint
    2. This click will start a workflow
    3. The workflow will write an entry to a list (e.g. DemoList)
    4. And then create a task in the task list "TaskList" that an approver has to approve the list entry

Now I have two questions:

1. How can I start a workflow by clicking a link ?
    2. How Is it possible that in the task list wehn clicking on an item directly the edit form is opend (instead of the display form) and how can i display the data from the related list item (from list "DemoList) in the edit form?

Thank you very much for hints and ideas.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 8:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1) Create a LinkButton and add a code under it to start a workflow. This can be done (http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/sharepointworkflow/thread/733acdb1-6fc6-4cde-b9ea-624609704334/)

2) You can do this in two ways: changing the view to show "edit" column instead of "name with menu" or smth like that. This will add an extra icon to the list and on click it will transfer you to edit form. There should be a "name with edit link" or smth like that in the view settings, so you can use this instead. Or you can create your own page which will act as you like, and it will be contected to Display Form of the list item. By the second option you have more control over how the site will look like, and what users will be able to edit it.

Hope it helps! :)

Cheers,
       Jakub G
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:08 AM