Is there a way to use the split screen (in the picture) on a desktop?

Question

• Also how can you see your tabs in IE when using the metro app? Thanks!
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 12:15 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can use split screen while in desktop.

First, as in Win7, you may maximize windows to the left or right half of the screen. Just move the window by mouse to the left or right top corner, or use Win+Left or Win+Right keys.

For combination of metro and desktop, just use the same gesture as in the Metro world (select the app you want to load then drag it to the right edge of the screen and release).

However, you need to have a screen resolution at least 1366x768 to have the splitting function enabled.

To see the IE tabs, just right click by mouse anywhere, or slide from the bottom edge of the screen (or from top, if you see just the bottom bar then).

• Edited by MCCZ Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by iaquichr Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by iaquichr Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by iaquichr Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:36 PM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:07 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can use split screen while in desktop.

First, as in Win7, you may maximize windows to the left or right half of the screen. Just move the window by mouse to the left or right top corner, or use Win+Left or Win+Right keys.

For combination of metro and desktop, just use the same gesture as in the Metro world (select the app you want to load then drag it to the right edge of the screen and release).

However, you need to have a screen resolution at least 1366x768 to have the splitting function enabled.

To see the IE tabs, just right click by mouse anywhere, or slide from the bottom edge of the screen (or from top, if you see just the bottom bar then).

• Edited by MCCZ Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by iaquichr Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by iaquichr Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by iaquichr Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:36 PM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:07 PM
  • Great answer thanks! Sadly, my computer won't allow me to have a resolution of 1366x768. Also for some reason, whenever I click IE on the start menu it brings me to the desktop rather than the Metro style. Do you know why that is? 
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:18 PM
  • You need a resolution which exeeds the 1366x768. So for example 1960x1080 also qualify for the split function to work.

In his preview, there is a very limited control on what will happen. In case of this, you might need to reset your configuration while keeping your files (check the Metro control panel for this function). Read the feature notes and description before you really use it.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:25 PM
  • When I go to "Screen Resolution" on the desktop the highest option I get is1280x800. 
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:28 PM
  • Than you do not qualify for the split feature to be enabled for you.

If you are sure you should see a better resolution (depends on your graphic card and monitor/display), try to run Windows Update whether there is a graphic driver available for you. If not, you should wait and be happy with the 1280x800 resolution.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:33 PM