installing Reporting Services on different server other than Database Server RRS feed

• Question

• User-305876627 posted

Hi, I installed SSRS on the same sever with database. now due to performace issue I wanted to install it on different server other than Database server.  my question is what are the pros and cons? does anybody did that before?  can you please share your experience? thank you for your time.

regards, 

Friday, December 10, 2010 1:19 PM

Answers

• User-2144841470 posted

If memory serves correctly (it's been a while since I've looked at this), The SSRS requires a SQL license for the machine running SSRS.  Depending on your budget, this may be a big con.  That said, we work in a clustered environment with a reporting node, so we run with SSRS and the actual data being reported on often living on different machines and this does not cause us problems.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 9:40 AM

All replies

• User-2144841470 posted

If memory serves correctly (it's been a while since I've looked at this), The SSRS requires a SQL license for the machine running SSRS.  Depending on your budget, this may be a big con.  That said, we work in a clustered environment with a reporting node, so we run with SSRS and the actual data being reported on often living on different machines and this does not cause us problems.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 9:40 AM
  • User-1184423958 posted

Every server running Reporting Service needs a SQL Server license. 

In my experience, SSRS and Database sever works fine in different boxes without any issues.

Monday, December 13, 2010 6:54 AM