none
Is CCR slowly dying? RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 dev in my compagny that asked question lately and we got no answer. We even posted the CCR code to be modified to fix the bug we found. But we didn't got an answer saying that it is a bug or if the fix is going to be included in a next release.

Now we are scared that CCR is fading away since we builded our entire application on top of it...
    Friday, February 12, 2010 4:09 PM

Answers

• Everyone is back on board today and you should have seen answers to some of the outstanding CCR questions. Sorry for the delay.

On the subject of the future of CCR, we are awaiting the final release of VS2010 and .NET 4.0 so that we can complete our investigation of what impact these have on RDS in general. (Compiling DSS Services under VS2010 is possible right now as long as you target .NET 3.5 -- I've been using it for a while). Sure, we have some ideas, but until the actual release anything could still change. So we have to lag somewhat behind.

There are new features in .NET 4.0 related to multi-threading, as you no doubt know. We intend to use as many of the core .NET features as we can "under the covers" to minimize the amount of additional code in CCR. This will make it even "lighter" and possibly faster. For example, .NET 4.0 has Tasks and we expect that we can use them with some refactoring of our code.

The objective is to have CCR supported in Dev 11, and there is already visible progress along this path. (VS2010 is Dev 10). Having said that, I am obliged to make the standard disclaimer that nothing I say is a committment by Microsoft to future products, yadda, yadda, yadda. (I'm not being facetious, it's just that nobody can predict the future).

Trevor

Thursday, February 18, 2010 11:45 PM

All replies

• We are in the same boat as you... not finding bugs or anything, but in terms of support...

We are about to architect our entire system around CCR and DSS and I cannot in good faith say that I don't have a lot of concerns...
    Friday, February 12, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Hi, I want to say that I did get answers in this forum, but I also have the feeling that CCR and DSS does go the way it can.
    It's great piece of software which is so simple it's hard to explain.
    It need much more documentation and samples to be understood and be adopted.

Hope it will happen soon,
    Ido.
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 1:45 PM
  • I work with dhebert and we had some very helpful replies in the past.  But lately, we posted a couple of issues/questions on this forum and nobody answered to us.  The issues that we are referring to are:

• Having problems with causality stack
    • Bug when adding and removing Causalities
    • Dispatcher.BreakOnReceive() not working - Doesn't seem to be implemented
    • How to use PortMode.OptimizedSingleReissueReceiver in an Interleave

One of these issues dealing with causalities clearly seems like a bug in the framework and yet, nobody gave us any indications as to whether or not it is a bug. 

This is a concern to us because we are beginning to loose confidence in CCR.  There are not a lot of reference on CCR on the web, so this forum is our only source of information/support.  Also, the fact that there were no mention of CCR at PDC 2009 makes us believe that it is fading out, apart from Robotics Dev Studio & robotics applications which is not helpful to us.

We have purchased the CCR & DSS Commercial Toolkit and have been including CCR in our design for the past 6 months.  The code we have implemented since then is about to be released.  So needless to say, we do not feel comfortable shipping our product knowing that we won't have support on the technology on which we built our product.

Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:24 PM
  • HI,What kind of features of CCR & DSS do u use for your product?
    Some of features are'nt difficult to implement by your own.
    You may concider that as one of your options.

Reinvention of the wheel is sometime good and sometime bad.

Anyway I want to know also how CCR&DSS is going in the future.

cyclops
    Monday, February 15, 2010 9:15 AM
  • We mainly use:

• Interleaves & Ports to implement a message passing architecture.  In this implementation, our ExclusiveReceiverGroup are tasks that are activated by a message posted on a port.
    • EnqueueTimer for timing.  We used that at the first stage of implementation but we found out that it is not always accurate depending on the machine where the code is executed.  We need really high-precision timers because we deal with real-time video.
    • Causality for error handling.  This is where we have had the most headaches and it is a part that we re-wrote in order to fix the bugs that we found.

If CCR was an open-source library that we found on CodeProject or something, then I wouldn't mind doing the same as what we did for the Causalities.  But this is a Microsoft product that we paid for so I would not expect having to re-write pieces of code everytime we find a problem...

Monday, February 15, 2010 2:14 PM
  • This is not an answer to the technical questions above, but let me just say that CCR & DSS are still the basis for RDS. We are currently working on a minor release of RDS and we are already planning RDS 3.0. So CCR & DSS will not disappear any time in the foreseeable future.

As for answers to the technical questions, I am not a CCR expert. Due to recent circumstances (people on leave, etc.) we have been short on people to answer CCR questions lately. We should get back to answering these questions very shortly.

Trevor
    Monday, February 15, 2010 10:54 PM
  • Thanks for the info Trevor.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:57 PM
  • Everyone is back on board today and you should have seen answers to some of the outstanding CCR questions. Sorry for the delay.

On the subject of the future of CCR, we are awaiting the final release of VS2010 and .NET 4.0 so that we can complete our investigation of what impact these have on RDS in general. (Compiling DSS Services under VS2010 is possible right now as long as you target .NET 3.5 -- I've been using it for a while). Sure, we have some ideas, but until the actual release anything could still change. So we have to lag somewhat behind.

There are new features in .NET 4.0 related to multi-threading, as you no doubt know. We intend to use as many of the core .NET features as we can "under the covers" to minimize the amount of additional code in CCR. This will make it even "lighter" and possibly faster. For example, .NET 4.0 has Tasks and we expect that we can use them with some refactoring of our code.

The objective is to have CCR supported in Dev 11, and there is already visible progress along this path. (VS2010 is Dev 10). Having said that, I am obliged to make the standard disclaimer that nothing I say is a committment by Microsoft to future products, yadda, yadda, yadda. (I'm not being facetious, it's just that nobody can predict the future).

Trevor

Thursday, February 18, 2010 11:45 PM
  • Indeed!  You guys came back stronger than ever!

Thanks for the answers to our questions.  Keep 'em coming! ;)
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 12:16 AM
  • I appreciate the feedback. We try to answer the forums, but in a small team there are always people on leave, away on business or with tight deadlines. It's not an excuse, but I think you understand...

Trevor
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:25 AM
  • Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio R3 is now out and FREE for everyone.

This is huge, i haven't been so excited in years. This is a breakthrough!

Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:22 PM
  • Does it contain a new release of the CCR librairies?  I couldn't find anything on this on the RDS website so I guess R3 comes with CCR 2.2.

UPDATE: I found my answer in this post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/roboticsccr/thread/0ae39b6f-8c9f-4fba-8457-39bc90d2c754

Monday, June 14, 2010 11:29 AM