none
Switching out an Rich-Client Application Shell - Advice RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old VB6 application that on which we are replacing the shell.  We are replacing the shell using C#, which should invoke all the old VB6 modules via COM.

Now my question is this:  the VB6 modules (~100 - 150) were developed each with their own independent interfaces, and I'm trying to loosely couple the proxy C# class that calls these modules so that it's implementation independent, because we can easily see ourselves moving or changing these modules over to C# with time.

I thought about using a command pattern to invoke each of these modules, because all the behavior, business rules, and views are already contained within each of the modules.  So I was hoping to be able to do something like:  command.execute() and just know that this is what the command is supposed to do.  The problem is the independent interface for each module, and my difficulty in trying to generalize something like that.

Any ideas or thoughts on how I might be able to approach this?
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 3:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Shemazar,

Hmmm...  I can see your point.

I think I'd try to get the interfaces into C# for each of these modules, then perhaps use a factory pattern to create the objects.  the reason is that the construction of these items can be changed over without affecting the interface.  It's effectively an object broker.  Would that work for you?

I think it's a bit of overhead in the short term but worth it for the sake of moving everything into .NET in the long term.

I hope that helps, but if it doesn't fire another post across.

Cheers,

Martin.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 2:05 AM
  • Shemazar,

I hope I can provide resources for a complete migration process

Friday, August 3, 2007 9:23 PM