none
Timer Driver RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to all,

I need some help again. I have this problem:

"I use a AT91SAM9261 board. I have an application with an internal time structure like:

struct TIME {
    int sec;
    int min;
    int hour;
    };
    I need to update this structure every 1000ms. So I'd like to have an "event" (interrupt, event, etc...) that notify every 1000ms to my application that the time is elapsed. This event have to be correctly so I can't use sleep or other function. I think to write a driver. It is attached to the system timer for get time and it notify to my application the elapsed period."

It is correct? How can I do this? There is some reference for write a driver or for resolve my problem?

I hope that is clear.

Best Regard.

Friday, October 8, 2010 8:21 AM

All replies

• Check if your processor supports general purpose timer. If yes you can write driver for that and in timer callback you can fill this structure and notify the application blocked for it.

If time critical is not so critical then you can implement a software timer and in callback function fill this structure and send an event to the blocked thread.

reply with some more details about the time critically and the application requirement.

regard

Misbah

Friday, October 8, 2010 8:28 AM
  • Hi, my processor supports:

• Periodic Interval Timer

• Real-Time Timer

• Watchdog Timer

So I can write a driver and in its API I can put functions for manage it. I have already a BSP (ATMEL BSP) that use the RTTC timer.

The time critically is strong (I need a precision of 1ms).

Where I can found same example of driver development under Windows CE?

Friday, October 8, 2010 9:31 AM
  • I can give you a timer driver source for your reference.

But before that you need to learn WinCe driver devlopment and porting.

regard

Misbah

Friday, October 8, 2010 9:39 AM
  • [quote]

I can give you a timer driver source for your reference

[/quote]

Thanks for your disponibility.

[quote]

You need to learn WinCe driver devlopment and porting

[/quote]

Yes, I'm searching for it. I'm trying to understand how to develop driver under Windows CE.

Friday, October 8, 2010 9:50 AM
  • See http://geekswithblogs.net/BruceEitman/archive/2008/06/09/windows-ce-a-stream-interface-shell.aspx
    Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    Friday, October 8, 2010 11:17 AM
  • Hello Misbah,

I am working on an OMAP3530 Device running on WinCE 6 R3 / TI_ARM_A8 BSP.  After reading all the posts here, I feel I need a hardware timer for my application.  Would you please send me your timer driver source to LNLUAN@yahoo.com?

I appreciate your help very much,

Luan

Luan Le

Monday, May 7, 2012 11:11 PM