Connection from Excel to PowerPivot File in Sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've uploaded a PowerPivot file to Sharepoint: PowerPivotDB.xlsx

Now I want to build in a SEPARATE Excel file a dashboard that is connected to that PowerPivot file in Sharepoint

I want my users to be able to analyze the dashboard both in Excel services (through web explorer) and in Excel itself (after clicking "Open in Excel" button in Sharepoint)

When they try to open the DASHBOARD file in sharepoint they get ERROR message:

Unable to refresh data for a data connection in the workbook.
    Try again or contact your system administrator. The following connections failed to refresh:
    PP_DB_CONNECTION.odc

Please Help

Thanks

Michael Shparber

Michael

Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Michael,

How is the PP_DB_CONNECTION.odc configured? Where is the data source and what account are you using to connect top the data source?

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn , My Blog, @iasanders, BI in SP2013, SP2013 Content Packs.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 10:02 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Is your issue resolved, please let us know so I can get this ticket off my plate...

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn , My Blog, @iasanders, BI in SP2013, SP2013 Content Packs.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:40 AM
  • Hi Ivan,

Sorry, I missed your updates...

Most of my users don't have PowerPivot add-in (and we don't want to install it on their computers)

So I want them to be able to analyse data in their regular Excel Pivot (NOT PowerPivot) by connecting to a PowerPivot DB that is located on Sharepoint.

The odc file is in trusted library as here's the connection string:

Provider=MSOLAP.4;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=True;Initial Catalog=PP_DB_TEST Sandbox 2070184b-eb02-44e6-81e8-b085b0442d8c;Data Source=http://shptsite/TESTING/TESTING_POWERPIVOT/PowerPivot Gallery/PP_DB_TEST.xlsx;MDX Compatibility=1;Safety Options=2;MDX Missing Member Mode=Error;Data Source Version=03/21/2013 14:35:04

Thanks

Michael

Michael

Monday, April 22, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:33 AM