none
Calculations with custom number fields in MS Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using custom number fields to calculate PTQ difference week to week.. so Number19 is the result of subtracting Number14 from Task PTQ. Problem is that I get -0 as an answer on occasion when I expect to get 0 .. see row 3. Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Task PTQ - Number14 Number19
    86.07 83.87 2.2
    86.07 83.87 2.2
    91.49 91.49 -0
    75 75 0
    80 76.09 3.91
    100 93.33 6.67

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 3:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you don't provide any formulas, so I can just guess ...

There may be some rounding differences. May be the difference is -0.0001, so -0 is displayed. You can try to add a rounding on purpose to avoid this behaviour.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Thursday, October 20, 2016 8:34 AM
  • The custom number fields do not show the trailing zeros, otherwise they display the results with one or two decimal places of precision. Probably, there are some non-zero digits after the 2nd place of the result -0.00 on the background. And obviously, the operands in the subtraction have more significant decimal digits than displayed. You can use the formula [Number19]&"" in a custom text field to see the results with extra precision. 

No worries, just pass the Number19's formula to the ABS  function to get rid of the minus sign and keep working...

Ismet Kocaman | eBook on Formulas

• Edited by Ismet Kocaman Friday, October 21, 2016 7:12 AM Editing/Addition
    • Proposed as answer by John - Project Thursday, October 27, 2016 7:52 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 6:28 PM
  • Thaks for your responses.. they pointed me in the right direction. I'm now writing the output from th enumeric cals to a text field and it seems to have solved the problem.

Thansk again for the help.

Friday, October 21, 2016 2:47 PM