Want to know RRS feed

• Question

• User530137677 posted

When I am testing my pages all of a sudden my server goes out to lunch.

I must reboot, clear out cookies and reset everything before I can get the web site to run again.

I am getting upset because our district lost so much money doing what Microsof told us to do.  Everyone tells us to stick to asp classic but we cannot find code we used before and cannot get info fast enough from the users group.  I know the search does not work on .asp pages so it takes so much time, we have over 30,000 pages.

I will add a line of usually Javascript  it does not work, I remove the line and it takes almost an entire day to get it back up and running!

Why?

Tony

Monday, September 5, 2011 1:23 PM

Answers

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

ASP.NET classes would be good but there's already a wealth of information on this site for educational purposes under the MVC and Webforms tabs.

If these schools only make use of it for announcing things or a small blog you might want to check out something like a CMS system. For example Umbraco or Orchard.

For being cheaper, I don't have exact figures but Microsoft provides quite a lot of free stuff for developers and there's a dedicated program for schools/universities. Express editions are free tools for SQL, web development, ... Be sure to talk to your local Microsoft representative to check out interesting plans.

Something else, I recently got to know about http://givecamp.org/. Professionals giving their free time for a good project. Perhaps, I don't know if you would meet the criteria, you might want to sign up to get some time and effort out of it to renew what you got. Education is an important thing and makes sure that within 10-20 years the world gets skilled people on the market.

Grz, Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 3:55 AM

All replies

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

is this on a live server? Which configuration? Windows version, IIS version, ...?

Do you log your errors or keep IIS logs to see what's going on?

Everyone tells us to stick to asp classic

I don't know who told you this but I would like to know the reasoning behind it. Classic asp certainly wasn't a bad product, still a lot runs on it but I'm seeing it way less frequently.

I will add a line of usually Javascript  it does not work, I remove the line and it takes almost an entire day to get it back up and running!

Sorry but I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Can you elaborate a bit more please? It takes you one day to deploy a classic asp file or ...?

Grz, Kris.

Monday, September 5, 2011 2:10 PM
  • User530137677 posted

Thanks for getting back!

Server 2003 Service Pach 2

The log just shows web page not found with no unusial errors we can see.

It is an on line server!

When we have to make a change or add something to a web page and we have to start debugging, after a while all the pages come up not found.  This is when we have to reboot and reset everything.  The machine is used about 85% for Web Desgin for our over 400 schools.  Every school wants their own web page.

There is a suicide and activities database that they do not want on the academic machines also, but that is it.

Also the universities in our area have stopped teaching asp.net and have gone 100% linux, so we are in a corner because we have to teach and do not have the time to learn linux and php.

Lyn

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:53 AM
  • User541108374 posted

Hi,

which state are you in?

Do you allow these schools to upload their own applications, resulting in 30.000 files on the server themselves?

Is the failing system the reason why they switched to Linux? I'm just trying to get a good picture here.

When we have to make a change or add something to a web page and we have to start debugging

I hope you're not doing this on a live server but on a staging area.

The machine is used about 85%

Do you mean the server load itself is 85%? If so that's pretty high. Numbers I recall for maximum load are 60% but I'm not an infrastructure guru so that might be best asked at our sister site forums.iis.net.

Grz, Kris.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:55 AM
  • User530137677 posted

Texas

We do everything for the schools.  They basically tell us what they want and we do it.  However we try to take existing pages copy them and make changes.  They were hosting their own sits but now they realize that a school with 75 students just cannot maintain a site.  There are 29 regions in Texas and every school belongs to a region.  The region now will host the info for them for free should they choose to go in that direction.

It is 30,000 pages, not files.

The 85% is on all of the pages we serve, also two educational associations.

The universities just feel it has become too difficult to deal with Microsoft and they are much more expensive then Linux.  An example is that we have so many pages in asp classic and now we can get little help.  It is a killer for education when you decide you want to change something that is as drastic as asp.net.  We have not had the time to attend asp.net classes.

Politics is begining to play a role because of the economy.  People who run against incumbants on the school board have been attacking the expense of IT.

Tony

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:47 PM
  • User541108374 posted

Hi,

ASP.NET classes would be good but there's already a wealth of information on this site for educational purposes under the MVC and Webforms tabs.

If these schools only make use of it for announcing things or a small blog you might want to check out something like a CMS system. For example Umbraco or Orchard.

For being cheaper, I don't have exact figures but Microsoft provides quite a lot of free stuff for developers and there's a dedicated program for schools/universities. Express editions are free tools for SQL, web development, ... Be sure to talk to your local Microsoft representative to check out interesting plans.

Something else, I recently got to know about http://givecamp.org/. Professionals giving their free time for a good project. Perhaps, I don't know if you would meet the criteria, you might want to sign up to get some time and effort out of it to renew what you got. Education is an important thing and makes sure that within 10-20 years the world gets skilled people on the market.

Grz, Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 3:55 AM
  • User1342669201 posted

Thanks for the information, I will try to check out Umbraco that you mentioned. Good luck for me.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:55 AM