Where do I actually SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint in a SharePoint 2013 farm? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've searched thru this forum and also all the Microsoft KB articles, and maybe I'm dense but I can't seem to find the right answer as to where am I actually supposed to run the SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint setup in a SharePoint 2013 farm?

My farm has the following configuration:

Server1: SQL Server 2012 SP1 Database server with all my SharePoint databases on it. SQL Server database, SSRS and SSAS (Multidimensional mode) instances are installed on this server

Server2: SharePoint 2013 Application Server

Server3: SharePoint 2013 WFE server

Server4: SharePoint 2013 OWA server

So on which server would I run the SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint setup? 

And on a related topic, when running the SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint setup, there is the checkbox to that says "Add SQL Server Database Relational Engine services to this installation". If I already have an existing SQL Server installation as I do in my case, do I un-check this?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Thursday, October 13, 2016 8:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Nick Palmer,

For installing PowerPivot for SharePoint 2013, you can install Analysis Services(SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint mode) in Server1. a recommended best practice is to install PowerPivot for SharePoint 2013 add-in(spPowerPivot.msi) on all servers in the SharePoint farm for configuration consistency, including application servers and web-front end servers, so you can install the add-in in Server2, Server3 and Server4.

Then you should configure Power Pivot for SharePoint 2013. The PowerPivot for SharePoint 2013 configuration tool is required on only one of the SharePoint servers. However a recommended best practice in multi-server farms is to install the configuration tool on at least two servers so you have access to the configuration tool if one of the two servers is offline.

>> If I already have an existing SQL Server installation as I do in my case, do I un-check this?

If you have a SSAS instance installed in your server, check the “Add SQL Server Database Relational Engine Services to this installation” will install another SSAS instance.

Thus, if you have installed a SSAS instance called [servername]\PowerPivot, you don’t need to check this option. For more details, you can refer to this article.

Best Regards,
    Angelia

Saturday, October 15, 2016 12:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Nick Palmer,

For installing PowerPivot for SharePoint 2013, you can install Analysis Services(SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint mode) in Server1. a recommended best practice is to install PowerPivot for SharePoint 2013 add-in(spPowerPivot.msi) on all servers in the SharePoint farm for configuration consistency, including application servers and web-front end servers, so you can install the add-in in Server2, Server3 and Server4.

Then you should configure Power Pivot for SharePoint 2013. The PowerPivot for SharePoint 2013 configuration tool is required on only one of the SharePoint servers. However a recommended best practice in multi-server farms is to install the configuration tool on at least two servers so you have access to the configuration tool if one of the two servers is offline.

>> If I already have an existing SQL Server installation as I do in my case, do I un-check this?

If you have a SSAS instance installed in your server, check the “Add SQL Server Database Relational Engine Services to this installation” will install another SSAS instance.

Thus, if you have installed a SSAS instance called [servername]\PowerPivot, you don’t need to check this option. For more details, you can refer to this article.

Best Regards,
    Angelia

Saturday, October 15, 2016 12:32 PM
  • Hi Angelia,

Thanks for the reply.  I think I understand almost now. 

With regards to the check box for the "Add SQL Server Database Relational Engine Services to this installation", I have an existing SSAS instance installed on my SQL Server (server1), but it is not a PowerPivot instance, just the generic SSAS instance that was installed when I setup SQL Server.

On server1 I started the SQL Server setup and ran (but didn't finish to the last step) the setup process.  If I select the SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint option and do not check the "Add SQL Server Database Relational Engine Services..." checkbox, as I progress thru the setup process I do get prompted to create a new instance of SSAS named POWERPIVOT.  This I believe is what I want to do. And not add the SQL Server Database Relational Engine Services.  So I think leaving the checkbox unchecked is what I want.

Also, you mention an article as the last thing you said in your response, but didn't include the link. Can you provide the link please?

Thanks

Nick

Monday, October 17, 2016 10:07 PM
  • Hi Nick Palmer,

Sorry for inconvenienc, I update my reply and give the link. 

Thank you very much.
    Angelia 

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 5:28 AM