Enabling Bluetooth Low Energy with Windows Phone 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a Xamarin Forms project where I am utilizing Bluetooth Low Energy. The project type with forms for windows phone is a windows phone 8.0 (i think silverlight) project. I can get Bluetooth LE to work with WinRT apps following this guide http://blogs.msdn.com/b/thunbrynt/archive/2014/05/05/windows-phone-8-1-for-developers-introducing-bluetooth-le.aspx. 

In this project type however, the blog post is setting capabilities in a way I can't in this project. I have a WMAppManifest.xml file that is not the same as the one in the project and throws an error if you try to edit it that way. Anyone know how to enable the bluetooth capabilities in WMAppManifest.xml?

Saturday, March 7, 2015 3:26 AM

Answers

• Windows Phone 8.0 does not support access to the Bluetooth 4.0 LE functionality. Microsoft only introduced the BLE API in WP8.1. Only a few select App were able to use it on 8.0 with an internal Nokia API that is not available to regular third party developers.

If you want to use BLE (regular Bluetooth would work) you will have to target your App towards WP8.1 (wether Silverlight or WinRT does not matter then).

Saturday, March 7, 2015 10:49 AM