none
Driver Signing RRS feed

• Question

• I was reading up on driver ranking and windows driver selection procedure. I found that during Signature Score generation "Windows assigns the fourth best signature score to driver packages that do not have a valid signature, and the driver is not installed by an INF DDInstall section".

Is there any significance to the DDInstall section with reference to signed/unsigned state? I understand that DDInstall section is not there in all INf files and later INFs use CopyFiles section.

Friday, September 29, 2017 7:23 AM

Answers

• In theory you can sign a non-PnP style package and put it into the driver store, along with its cat files. It will be considered signed. But these packages will not be considered as candidates for ranking procedure. Ranking applies only to PnP devices and only suitable INFs are used. INFs that do not have DDInstall sections are not suitable.

You can also try and delete the InfName and InfSection entries from the software key of installed device. Then device manager won't be able to associate the latter with its package and display its signing info.

-- pa

Friday, September 29, 2017 1:48 PM

All replies

• All INF files use CopyFiles section. Do you mean DefaultInstall section?

-- pa

• Edited by Pavel A Friday, September 29, 2017 8:39 AM
    Friday, September 29, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Thanks. I was wondering of there is any relation between the signed/unsigned status  of a driver and DDInstall section in its INF.
    Friday, September 29, 2017 9:19 AM
  • In theory you can sign a non-PnP style package and put it into the driver store, along with its cat files. It will be considered signed. But these packages will not be considered as candidates for ranking procedure. Ranking applies only to PnP devices and only suitable INFs are used. INFs that do not have DDInstall sections are not suitable.

You can also try and delete the InfName and InfSection entries from the software key of installed device. Then device manager won't be able to associate the latter with its package and display its signing info.

-- pa

Friday, September 29, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Thank you, Pavel. I have one more question regarding this. I have seen that there are PnP drivers that do not have DDInstall section buy have CopyFiles section Then does this mean such drivers wont be ranked? Is my understanding correct?
    • Edited by its_me_here Wednesday, October 4, 2017 6:47 AM
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 6:47 AM
  • I have seen that there are PnP drivers that do not have DDInstall section buy have CopyFiles section

Could you show an example? 

There are some in-box "library" INF files used in other INFs by  Include and Needs statements. These "library" files are not used by the PnP directly.

-- pa

• Edited by Pavel A Wednesday, October 4, 2017 11:45 AM
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 11:19 AM