none
How to check if the Date time and page number shapes are visible on regular slide, not master slide. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to check if  a user choose a date time and page number on the master slide and slides after that. I figured out how to check visible status of those filed on the master slide but I could not find a way to check them on the slides after master slide.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

BLT123

Friday, January 25, 2013 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi BLI123,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

As far as I know that what you want to check are common shapes in the slide. You are able to retrieve them via it's Name property. For example, in PowerPoint <English (United States)> You might to retrieve the shape which name begin with "Date Placeholder" and "Slide Number Placeholder" to find out them.

I hope what I said can help you.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, January 28, 2013 2:32 AM
  • Tom,

I am trying to get the visible property of Date Placeholder and Slide Number Placeholder to decide whether a user selecte slide number and date on the master slide  or not. Now I am trying to do the same thing for regular slide and I am not sure how to get this visible property from get the shape.

regards,

BLT123

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:30 PM
  • Hi BLT123,

It's based on my understanding that every slide is "regular" due to it will create from the template which stored in SlideMaster. So would your clarify the "regular" mean for your issue?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:47 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Regular means any slide other than master slide, since I can check the visibility of Date and page number shapes on Master Slide as follows,

DirectCast(PPT.ActivePresentation.SlideMaster.Shapes.Parent, PPT._Master).HeadersFooterss.SlideNumber.Visible

How do I check the non master slide's slidenumber visibility and pagenumber visibility?

Thanks,

BLT123

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:03 PM
  • Hi BLT123,

I think you able to iterate all TextBox and retrieve text via Regular Expression to find them.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:31 AM
  • Tom,

I am not sure exactly what you meant, could you add some sample code?

Thanks,

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Hi BLT123,

In PowerPoint the situation is very complex. Following snippet will retrieve whether slides has date field(A text box which only content date string<English - US culture>). If there has it will prompt dialog with "Has":

Imports System.Text.RegularExpressions

''' <summary>
    ''' Business class
    ''' </summary>
    ''' <remarks>This class will check whether there exist datefield in Slide</remarks>
    Public Class Class1
        Implements IAction

Private _ResultFlag As Boolean

Public ReadOnly Property ResultFlag As Boolean Implements IAction.ResultFlag
            Get
                Return _ResultFlag
            End Get
        End Property

Public Sub Execute(ByVal ParamArray paramslist() As Object) _
            Implements IAction.Execute
            Dim ppApp As PowerPoint.Application
            Try
                ppApp = TryCast(paramslist(0), PowerPoint.Application)
                CheckDate(ppApp)
            Catch ex As Exception
                Throw ex
            End Try
        End Sub

Private Sub CheckDate(ByVal ppApp As PowerPoint.Application)
            Dim ppP As PowerPoint.Presentation = ppApp.ActivePresentation
            Dim ppS As PowerPoint.Slide
            Dim pSh As PowerPoint.Shape
            Dim regDate As Regex = New Regex("^\d{1,2}/\d{1,2}/\d{2,4}$", _
                                             RegexOptions.IgnoreCase)

For Each ppS In ppP.Slides
                For Each pSh In ppS.Shapes
                    If pSh.HasTextFrame Then
                        If regDate.IsMatch(pSh.TextFrame.TextRange.Text) Then
                            _ResultFlag = True
                        End If
                    End If
                Next
            Next
        End Sub
    End Class

However, if in the slides which olny have date formatted string will return true without conside whether it use as a footer or head date field. You might set some specific characters for the shape to identified it. And the same process will fit Slide number.

Have a ggod day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:44 AM
  • Tom,

Thanks for your response, but this code still does not return whether the date shape is visible or not.

The dateatime shape always has current date but it will be only visible when I insert it on the slide, therefore by just checking the data in the shape does not work.

Regards,

BLT123

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:22 PM