Voice command in Windows Mobile RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project with regards to voice command in windows mobile. Is the speechlib supports voice command?? im already working with different platforms just to finish my project. can anyone help me with regards to a class library that will support voice command in a windows mobile. another question is there a class library that will provide bluetooth services on windows mobile?? i really need your help guys. tnx.

Saturday, May 9, 2009 12:36 AM

Answers

• From http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxcompact/thread/a10f4212-0ce9-48ec-a43b-6603ca70bc05/:

Sadly the license for Voice Command expressly forbids programmatic use of it's functionality. Microsoft licenses the speech engine used from a third-party and so are limited in what usage is allowed.

I've not seen any products specifically aimed at plugging in voice functionality into a Windows Mobile device and exposing an API - you'll either need to look at the big names such as ScanSoft who can provide a SAPI compliant voice engine, or more consumer oriented offerings which rarely provide an API.

I've certainly asked this question myself of Microsoft before, it's not a technical limitation but a licensing one, and hopefully can be improved on in a future generation of voice command.

Peter

Joel Ivory Johnson
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:54 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by jihmantiquilla Tuesday, June 2, 2009 1:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by jihmantiquilla Tuesday, June 2, 2009 1:48 AM
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 3:18 AM
  • BTW: Looking at some of the files that compose Voice Command it looks that Microsoft licensed the technology from ScanSoft.  They are best known for a product called "Dragon Naturally Speaking."
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:12 PM
  • casey from brains-n-brawn wrote an article back in 2003 on how to create voice command functionality on Win Mobile.  It is possible with some effort.

http://www.brains-n-brawn.com/default.aspx?vDir=freespeech

why do you robot?
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:54 AM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 7:56 PM

All replies