none
Searching sensor for tracking person. Is Kinect the right one? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! I want to code a sensor that recognizes people passing a shop window so a series of pictures are displayed corresponding to a persons position.

I am driving a so called camera-array made from 50 cameras that produces the so called "frozen-time"-effect www[dot]martin-hoppe[dot].com. (Sorry, for some strange reason I am not allowed to post a link here). Now I want do show the pictures with a beamer. It should work in this scenario:

When someone passes a shop window, the picture-sequence shows an image corresponding to the persons position. So when someone passes the window from left to right all 50 images - the whole sequence - are displayed. When the persons stands still, the sequence stops too.

The program should only respond to one person, if someone else enters the window, this second person shall be ignored.

So now I wonder if this can be done with the kinect sensor? Could someone give me a hint? Thanks a lot!

Martin...

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 3:48 AM

All replies

• Hello! I want to code a sensor that recognizes people passing a shop window so a series of pictures are displayed corresponding to a persons position.

I am driving a so called camera-array made from 50 cameras that produces the so called "frozen-time"-effect www[dot]martin-hoppe[dot].com. (Sorry, for some strange reason I am not allowed to post a link here). Now I want do show the pictures with a beamer. It should work in this scenario:

When someone passes a shop window, the picture-sequence shows an image corresponding to the persons position. So when someone passes the window from left to right all 50 images - the whole sequence - are displayed. When the persons stands still, the sequence stops too.

The program should only respond to one person, if someone else enters the window, this second person shall be ignored.

So now I wonder if this can be done with the kinect sensor? Could someone give me a hint? Thanks a lot!

Martin...

In the newer Kinect sdk's until the person leaves the view of the Kinect's IR tracking you have them as the same person being tracked (if they leave and come back and another person is their then they will be the second person). 

You would need a massive power supply on the computer running this program to do something like this (Kinects need a fair amount of power to run properly). 

As far as another person entering just only tell it to start tracking one person instead of two during initialization.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:40 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:40 PM