none
Problem running command line "MSDOS" program in XPe RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of hundred XPe headless, diskless systems deployed.  I want to run pcpbios.exe which is free from PC Pitstop and is described as an MSDOS program.  The program uses SMBIOS definitions to dump files, both binary and text, of BIOS settings.  I have no problem running the program on desktop XP but on XPe it hangs immediately after startup and cannot be terminated with CTL-C.  As an MSDOS program I assume it is entirely self contained and does not depend on any DLLs or other features that may exist in desktop XP but not in my optimized XPe images.  I know that the Windows method of getting at BIOS settings is via WMI but when I tried to put WMI functionality into my image I got unacceptable bloat and it never got to a working state.  At 36K pcpbios.exe does what I need but I need help in understanding why it doesn't run.

Friday, October 15, 2010 8:20 PM

All replies

• Make sure you have the Dos Windows on Windows Support component in the XPE/WES2009 image.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Friday, October 15, 2010 11:02 PM