Create multiple shortcut tiles from within WinRT app using JavaScript? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

For an app I'm working on, I need to know if it's possible for the app to create tiles on the Start Screen which link to an x86 program.

In other words, I need my Windows 8 app to create tiles (which are actually just shortcuts) on the start screen using JavaScript. So I don't want my app to open x86 applications, cause I know this isn't possible, but I want my app to create shortcut tiles.

Is this possible to do this in JavaScript? I know it's possible to create picture tiles on the Start screen from within an app, but what about shortcut tiles?

Thanks in advance for replying.

Rob

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 3:14 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure what you mean by 'custom tiles' and such.

Windows Store apps can create secondary tiles which open up the same app. These can be live tiles with whatever images or text is appropriate, but when they are clicked they will open the same app which created them.

There is no way for a Windows Store app to create a tile which opens a different app.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Lobbie2012 Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:14 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 10:33 PM

All replies

• Hmm interesting idea, but I think you might be out of luck. Because the Windows Store Apps run sandboxed they should not have any access to the system other than that provided by the APIs. I think the only type of Tiles you can create are for the app itself. I don't even think you can access the File System with anything other than file save- and open- pickers.

I suppose that's the price we pay for a more secure system. :'(

Cheers,

Censored

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 5:17 PM
  • Hmm interesting idea, but I think you might be out of luck. Because the Windows Store Apps run sandboxed they should not have any access to the system other than that provided by the APIs. I think the only type of Tiles you can create are for the app itself. I don't even think you can access the File System with anything other than file save- and open- pickers.

I suppose that's the price we pay for a more secure system. :'(

Cheers,

Censored

Well, I know because of the sandbox, apps are not allowed to launch .exe files from within the app itself. I don't want to do that, I just want to create tiles on the startscreen which are just plain shortcuts. I see apps in the Store that already can place tiles on the Start Screen, only those are picture tiles. If placing picture tiles on the Start Screen, then shortcut Tiles must be possible too right? Thanks for your reply :)
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:35 AM
  • Censored is correct here: what you are asking for isn't feasible.

Windows Store apps can create secondary tiles for themselves. They cannot create tiles for other apps.

--Rob

• Proposed as answer by CensoredUser Saturday, October 6, 2012 2:29 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 4:37 PM
  • Rob,

Thanks for replying. But what about current Store apps who can place Picture tiles on the Startscreen? Like 'Custom Tiles' and such. Those apps can create multiple tiles on the startscreen other than their own primary and secondary tiles. I don't want to create tiles for other apps, I just want to place picture tiles on the startscreen which also function as a simple shortcut to a file... Hope you can elaborate on this.

Monday, October 8, 2012 7:45 PM
  • I'm not sure what you mean by 'custom tiles' and such.

Windows Store apps can create secondary tiles which open up the same app. These can be live tiles with whatever images or text is appropriate, but when they are clicked they will open the same app which created them.

There is no way for a Windows Store app to create a tile which opens a different app.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Lobbie2012 Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:14 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 10:33 PM