none
Framework 4.0 betas and RC1 still available to download? RRS feed

• Question

• I've written an installer for my .Net 4.0 application that checks for the presence of .Net Framework 4.0 beta 1, beta 2 and RC1 by testing the version numbers in the registry. The idea is to warn the operator that they need to uninstall the betas/RC1 before the installation can proceed. Now I need to test it, but I don't have access to the .Net 4.0 betas or RC1. Are they still available for download somewhere on the Microsoft site?

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:56 AM

Answers

• I found links in several articles by searching MSDN, but all are now dead. As .NET Framework 4.0 went RTM some time ago, this is to be expected.

Would it be possible for you to redo the version check logic to check for version numbers that != the RTM version number?

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Hi Lawrence Jones,

I'm posting to follow up your issue. Have you tried pvdg42's suggestion? Does it work?

The .NET Framework 4 installer writes registry keys when installation is successful. You can test whether the .NET Framework 4 is installed by checking the registry keys listed in the following table.

Registry key name

Value

Full

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full

Name: Install

Type: DWORD

Data: 1

Client

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client

If there are any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:15 AM

All replies

• I found links in several articles by searching MSDN, but all are now dead. As .NET Framework 4.0 went RTM some time ago, this is to be expected.

Would it be possible for you to redo the version check logic to check for version numbers that != the RTM version number?

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Hi Lawrence Jones,

I'm posting to follow up your issue. Have you tried pvdg42's suggestion? Does it work?

The .NET Framework 4 installer writes registry keys when installation is successful. You can test whether the .NET Framework 4 is installed by checking the registry keys listed in the following table.

Registry key name

Value

Full

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full

Client

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client

If there are any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:15 AM