none
Space bar advances to next mail in outlook plugin RRS feed

• Question

• If I open the vsto form when I have given focus to any email by clicking on the reading pane then the textboxes on my form won't accept the space key. While hitting space key, it advances to next mail in the outlook window.
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:03 PM

All replies

• Hello Sajna,

What VTSO form are you talking about? Do you use Outlook form regions in the VSTO project? If so, what layout is used?

Please take a look at the DEL and Backspace keys have no effect in a AddIn forum thread. Is this the case?
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:19 PM
  • Change the setting in Outlook to use the Space key to move from one item to another in the reading pane.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 1:41 PM
  • Hi Eugene,

Thanks for your replay..

I have created a WPF Outlook VSTO Addin using Visual Studio 2010. From this plugin ,when ever i launch a new visual studio form which contain a textbox, after putting focus on outlook reading pane, the space bar does not work on the form, but is still working in the Outlook window in the background(where it is shifting the focus to the next email message). Is there any way to take the focus from reading pane to the new form or any way to shift the focus from reading pane to current folder's selected mail subject?

Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:10 AM
  • Sajna,

It is not clear how you display your WPF window. Do you use Outlook form regions in the VSTO project? If so, what layout is used?

Also, as Ken suggested, try to turn off the Single key reading using the space bar option in Outlook which allows you to move quickly through your messages in the Reading Pane. The space bar scrolls the current item. At the end of the item, it jumps to the next unread item in your message list.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 11:28 AM
  • ok.. here is how i'm launching wpf window from outlook.I've created outlook addin using vs2010 and i installed it on my outlook as add in. Then i'm lauching that addin form from my outlook.
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 11:58 AM
  • Do you use Outlook form regions?  If so, what layout is used?

How do you display your WPF window from your Outlook add-in?

Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:19 PM
  • I'm not using outlook form regions..

In my project i created one Outlook ribbon with buttons.. on button click i'm displaying wpf window..

Friday, April 4, 2014 5:27 AM
  • Hello Sajna,

Did you have a chance to turn off the Single key reading using the space bar option setting in Outlook shown above? Does it help?

Friday, April 4, 2014 9:41 AM
  • Hi Sajna,

I tried to reproduce the issue but failed. Here is my steps:
    1. Create Outlook add-in
    2. Add a ribbon and WPF UserControl
    3. Add a windows form to host the WPF UserControl
    4. Add a textbox on the UserControl
    5. Add a button on the ribbon and add the click event to show the windows form
    6. Run the project
    7. Click a mail item on the reading pane
    8. Click the custom button on the ribbon to show the windows form
    9. Press space bar
    The code works well like figure below:

What’s the version of Outlook are you using? If I misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 4, 2014 9:53 AM