Question about text box RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have recently downloaded a template to use in Microsoft Expression Web. 

However, in the template there is a blue text box where I want to move the text inside a little higher. For some reason the maximum height for the text is only a little above half the height of the blue box.

This is what it looks like now: (I highlighted the text box in question)
    img.imgcake.com/superangelo128/problem1jpgge.jpg

I tried dragging the text but it all it does is this:
    img.imgcake.com/superangelo128/problem2jpgry.jpg

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? What should I do to fix this? I'm only alright with HTML and don't have much knowledge of CSS.

Thanks.
    Sunday, June 2, 2013 1:58 AM

All replies

• "I'm only alright with HTML and don't have much knowledge of CSS."

Then you can't use Expression Web. EW is, according to Microsoft, a professional website design program. You must know HTML and CSS to use it. It is NOT a drag-and-drop program, and it does not work like a desktop publishing program.

I'm not at all being a wiseacre. That's just the facts. On the plus side, HTML and CSS ain't rocket science. There are great learning resource links in the Forum FAQ and Guidelines at the top of this thread. Take a break, and work through Cheryl's excellent tutorial on EW (at By-expression.com, with some HTML and CSS thrown in), then scoot over to the w3schools site and work through their short tutorials on HTML and CSS. Then you'll be in a better place to use EW.

We can't tell anything from the pictures you linked to, anymore than your mechanic can fix your car by looking at a photo of it. The only thing we can see is that you already have at least 4 auto-styles on that page generated by trying to drag and drop the contents and that style 4 is nested inside style 3 (and we can't see what any style settings are). That'll be a nightmare to manage. Plus, <h1> is used wrong; those (h_> aren't just for resizing elements, they have semantic meaning to search engines.

We can't see what the styles are doing. That's why the Forum FAQ says to post a link to the site (peruse the entire FAQ while you're there). That way we can see everything working together in situ (the external style sheet, inline styles, styles in the page head, etc.). Put the site up on the web and come on back and give us a link. Just post it in this thread so that we can keep the entire discussion together.

And don't panic; it'll get better.

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:14 AM
  • As Bill said, publish the page and post a link to it. Pictures are worthless, and preclude anyone being able to use Web Developer Toolbar, Firebug, or any other developer's tools to analyze and triubleshoot your issues.

Apparently, you are somewhat less than "...alright with HTML," although it's pretty clear that you don't have much knowledge of CSS. I don't know who wrote that template, but the hgroup element has been removed from the HTML5 standard, and what little support there is for it is inconsistent and far from universal. Even if that were not the case, the author has not even used the element for its intended purpose. Before its removal, the standards group (W3C) said this about it:

The hgroup element is typically used to group a set of one or more h1-h6 elements — to group, for example, a section title and an accompanying subtitle.

<footer><cite>W3C Specification</cite></footer>

As you can see from reading that markup, the template author has used hgroup incorrectly, and, in fact, the entire purpose of that hgroup could have been accomplished simply by using the <h1> element. So, not only is it no longer part of the standard, the author used it incorrectly, and completely unnecessarily, from the beginning.

In addition, it is very bad form, and not best practice, to assign ids or classes identical in name to existing elements in the standard. The template author has created a <nav> element, then, within that element, created a <ul> with id="nav." Very bad practice.

Bill has already noted the proliferation of auto-styles in the page. This comes from trying to work solely in design view, and styling using the format icons in the toolbar. Expression Web is NOT a WYSIWYG design tool. As stated by Microsoft at the top of this forum, it is for... "Expression Web, the professional design tool for creating modern, standards-based sites that deliver superior quality on the web." Note that "professional." You are expected to being to the table knowledge of both HTML and CSS, both of which are required to use EW effectively.

Please see the Learning Resources and Reference Sites section of the Forum FAQs and Guidelines - Start Here. Start with Cheryl's "Build a Basic Web Site" video tutorial, at http://by-expression.com/page/EW-Video-Basic-Website-tutorial, then, for more in-depth knowledge. and for future reference material, see the free courses found at http://w3schools.com/html/ and http://w3schools.com/css/. As Jim said, it's not rocket science. But, it is necessary, and you might as well start now if you wish to use EW.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:59 AM