SharePoint Designer 2007 email action fails at later workflow step RRS feed

• Question

• I designed a workflow that utilizes four SPD actions: log message to workflow history; send email; wait for field to change in current item; and stop workflow. And while the workflow employs multiple variables for multiple scenarios, at heart, it is relatively simple. It is attached to a SharePoint form library that was created when we published an InfoPath 2007 form. There are six approvers. After the form is submitted to the library, the first approver receives an email containing a link which opens the form. The approver approves or rejects the form and submits. This sends an email to the next approver and so on.

Unfortunately, at the 6th workflow step, the send email action fails. I've checked and rechecked the logic, the variables, the conditions, everything, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why it will not send the email. As far as I can tell, there is nothing peculiar to this step. Also, when I look at the Workflow Status page in SharePoint, the Workflow History confirms that the workflow is at the right step; meaning, it is waiting on the next complete action. So as far as SharePoint is concerned, there isn't a problem with the workflow. The only problem is with the send email at this workflow step.

Lastly, when I open the form from the library and manually update the field and then submit the form, the next send email action works as it is supposed to (as do all the ensuing send email actions). So it's not as though the entire workflow is hosed after this email failure. The problem is this one particular step that, as I said earlier, seemingly contains no readily identifiable error.

Has anyone encountered a similar scenario and, if so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:54 PM

Answers

• Are you receiving an error that the email wasn't sent?

How have you addressed the email? Does the email go to just one person? Have you tried addressing the email to someone else (or yourself)?

If you haven't, I would add a "Log to history" action after the action that sends the email. This will also help you walk through the workflow to see what's happening.

Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Friday, June 17, 2011 1:51 AM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 5:05 AM