VSHost process never dies. RRS feed

• Question

• So I've been working with C# lately and I've written an app.  App has a couple threads etc.  All threads are dead.  But the App.Vshost.exe process never dies, have to kill it manually.

Why?

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 7:04 PM

Answers

• Nevermind.  The *.vshost.exe is apparently used for routing stdin and stuff to the output window in VS.  So when I run the process outside of VS, everything is fine.

One thing tho, why does *.vshost.exe consume approximately 200MB of memory?  The output window has maybe 100 lines of stuff in it at any given time.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 7:50 PM

All replies

• Some more information....

ProcessExp;lorer and/or TaskManager cannot kill the <processname>.vshost.exe

Visual Studio displayes this when debugging ....

The program '[1320] <processname>.vshost.exe: Managed' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

But the process hasn't exited.  I can re-run the application fine, and no matter how many times I run/close the application, there is only ever 1 <processanme>.vshost.exe

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 7:24 PM
  • Nevermind.  The *.vshost.exe is apparently used for routing stdin and stuff to the output window in VS.  So when I run the process outside of VS, everything is fine.

One thing tho, why does *.vshost.exe consume approximately 200MB of memory?  The output window has maybe 100 lines of stuff in it at any given time.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 7:50 PM
  • i am also facing the same problem how did you solve it.

Saturday, May 26, 2012 3:36 PM