Looking for a storage solution to support on-premises resources and Azure-hosted resources RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking for a storage solution to support on-premises resources and Azure-hosted resources. What method/strategy should we use to provide on-premises storage that has built-in replication to Azure? Thanks..Nam

Monday, March 19, 2018 3:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• You could look at File Storage with the new Azure File Sync
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/storage/files/

Another option I am testing now is StorSimple using a Virtual Array

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/storsimple/

I would have preferred to test Azure File Sync, but I am in Azure Government and don't believe its available yet

I offer advice as is, and you use that advice at your own risk.
    Dont forget to mark as Answered if you found this post helpful.

• Proposed as answer by vikranth s Monday, March 19, 2018 3:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by namwam Wednesday, March 21, 2018 7:58 PM
    Monday, March 19, 2018 3:25 PM
  • Dave,

Could you please explain why File Storage with be your preference over StorSimple because we were thinking of using StorSimple. Now after your response we've second thought on our choice. Please rest assured we'll use our options at our own risk but would like to hear from others, as well.

Thanks..Nam

• Edited by namwam Tuesday, March 20, 2018 5:21 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2018 5:20 PM
  • I want to like StorSimple, but the virtual array is such a black box that you cant really do much under the hood, you can read about the issue I am having now just trying to write up the justification for my test plan with an internal application.  I think if we do end up moving forward with StorSimple I am going to have to recommend the hardware versions (8200?) as those seem to give you more control.

Honestly I am also about to spin up a AWS Gateway storage device and see how it compares.

Be prepared for the steep network pipe that StorSimple (and I am sure AWS) wants, the documentation I saw recommends 100Mbps.  I can attest (and so can my network and security teams) that StorSimple will use as much bandwidth as it can get lol, that first night of backup for the local device caused quite a few emails the next day.

I also want this to be a transition step to us really extending our datacenter to cloud, and for this particular app will always be IaaS I feel it might be an easier lift and shift if I am using FileStorage with File Sync, without re-architecting StorSimple if/when it moves.

Though as I mentioned I work in the Govt side and it isn't an option yet, so I have to move forward with what I have available. Hope that helps 

I offer advice as is, and you use that advice at your own risk.
    Dont forget to mark as Answered if you found this post helpful.

• Proposed as answer by vikranth s Thursday, March 22, 2018 6:14 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 11:25 AM
  • Dave, Thanks for sharing your thoughts. -Nam
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 7:59 PM