list applications

Question

• Do we have any api available for Windows RT similar to InstallationManager.FindPackagesForCurrentPublisher()(windows phone).
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• You cannot get information about other apps from a Windows Store app.

From a desktop app you can use the PackageManager class .

--Rob

Friday, November 16, 2012 3:09 AM
    Owner
  • Hello Rob,

Mainly I am looking to list all the enterprise apps (unmanaged) in a Company Hub.

Thanks,

JJ

Friday, November 16, 2012 3:20 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Is this issue at least fixed in windows 8.1 RT. Without this development of company hub will not be possible.

Venkatesh. S|MCTS(WCF, ADO.NET 3.5)|eMail: heman_1978@hotmail.com

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:55 AM
  • This is by design. Windows Store apps cannot affect the system or other apps. You need to use a desktop app for that.

--Rob

Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:50 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

Can we not have application to application communication also?

Friday, October 18, 2013 2:26 AM
  • No. Interprocess communication is specifically blocked except for well defined contracts such as sharing.

--Rob

Monday, October 21, 2013 5:33 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob.

So just correct me if I'm wrong. There is now way that I can device a company hub in Windows RT metro style. Also can you please share some links of Windows 8 metro contracts?

Thanks and regards

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:51 AM
  • No, your company hub app would either need to be a desktop app or run off-system (such as Intune). You cannot run custom desktop apps on Windows RT.

You can find documentation at the top of the page. App contracts and extensions are documented under Architecture/Fundamentals .

--Rob

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:13 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

As I see the company hub is app distribution platform / management platform. So if I have to simulate using a web portal or run off-system then it means that I need messages that needs to  be sent to run off-system on install and un install. So are there events in Metro application that are raised when an metro app is installed of uninstall.

Thanks and regards

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 2:44 AM
  • There is no way to get notifications about other apps from a Windows Store app. You can get servicing triggers for your own app, but that won't help for your scenario of managing other apps. You will need to write this as a desktop app or off-system app (like Intune).

--Rob

Monday, October 28, 2013 8:53 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

Apologies if my previous question was not clear. What I intend to ask is, Are there any events in metro apps that will be triggered when an App uninstall happen. If so what is the event and how should we handle it.

My idea is if I could handle this event, then I will check if I'm online if I'm online then would inform my off-run application (say a cloud service) that a particular application installed from my site is being uninstalled.

Thanks and regards

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 2:13 AM
  • There is no way to get notifications about other apps from a Windows Store app. You can get servicing triggers for your own app, but that won't help for your scenario of managing other apps.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:06 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

So will it be correct if I conclude there is no way to manage metro apps? If that is case then we cannot use Windows RT in a typical BYOD scenario and Surface PRO or precisely Windows 8/8.1 pro alone will fit the bill

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 1:44 AM
  • As I've mentioned, Intune and SCCM can manage Windows RT devices, but you cannot manage a Windows Store app from within another Windows Store app. This forum is specifically about writing Windows Store apps and I cannot help you with other areas.

For help with developing desktop apps please post in the Windows Desktop Development forums. For help with using policy, etc. to administer a system please post in the Windows 8.1 IT Pro  forums on TechNet.

--Rob
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 1:59 AM
    Owner