error on install: Performance counter registry hive consistency check - Status:Failed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm tryng to install sql server 2008 in win vista and in the System Configuration Check, item: Performance counter registry hive consistency check has the status FAILED  all the others items has PASSED and the setup stops here theonly option is CANCEL. Thus anyone knows the possible problem and resolution to this?

best regards

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 11:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• There is another post discussing the same issue as yours.  The subject of post is:

How to resolve "Performance counter registry hive consistency check" failed?

Please refer that post and see if it resolves the issue.   The bottom line is that you need to rebuild the perfmon counter, correct the bad registry key hive, and then you can install SQL Server 2008.

If the reference of post doesn’t resolve the problem, please use “regedit.exe” to export the following registry key hive to a file, and then post the file here.

“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib”

Once I get the file, I will try to rebuild the perfmon counter for you. 

The tool “regedit.exe” usually exports registry keys to files with extension “.reg”.   If you post the file, please rename it to the extension “.txt” so that it can reach to the forum.

Thanks.

Yuhong

Monday, April 21, 2008 5:55 PM
  • Dude, put this at any Console application:
    string.Format("{0,3}", CultureInfo.InstalledUICulture.Parent.LCID.ToString("X")).Replace(" ", "0");

Watch the result. At mine it was "016".

Then you go to the registry at this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib

and create another one with the name you got from the string.Format result. In my case:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\016"

and copy the info that is on any other key in this Perflib to this key you just created. Run the instalation again. Done!
    • Proposed as answer by Charly Albert Monday, May 4, 2009 3:30 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:32 PM
  • i've got the same problem. but how to get the result like "016" of yours at mine?

Saturday, May 10, 2008 5:27 PM
  • If your windows is not pt-BR, you probably won't. I created this stuff to help:
    http://www.2shared.com/file/3276145/d5475cc1/Chave_do_registro_SQL_2008.html

This shows the registry key you'll have to create at your computer.
    Monday, May 12, 2008 11:44 AM
  • Hi Rafael!

Your application and your tips were very useful for me when installing SQLServer2008 on Vista Business.
    Thank you!

Regards,

Jeferson Oliveira
    Brazil
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:14 AM
  • Thanks Rafael,

This worked for me.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Rafael, brilliant work.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300956 was worthless, adding the key you mention with the same values as the other worked in seconds.

thank you.

Friday, November 28, 2008 10:21 AM
  • This issue can be easily fixed by type the following command in Command Prompt window.

lodctr /R:PerfStringBackup.INI

(this works on Xp)

• Proposed as answer by olrt Saturday, June 20, 2009 7:49 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:29 PM
  • Dude, put this at any Console application:
    string.Format("{0,3}", CultureInfo.InstalledUICulture.Parent.LCID.ToString("X")).Replace(" ", "0");

Watch the result. At mine it was "016".

Then you go to the registry at this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib

and create another one with the name you got from the string.Format result. In my case:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\016"

and copy the info that is on any other key in this Perflib to this key you just created. Run the instalation again. Done!

Hey, nothing was working. The Technet link is useless. But this worked like a charm. Thanks!
    Monday, May 4, 2009 3:31 PM
  • This issue can be easily fixed by type the following command in Command Prompt window.

(this works on Xp)

Mate not only was this by FAR the easiest thing to do on XP for a novice user, it worked straight away. Lifesaver! If you're running XP i would use this solution
    • Proposed as answer by Emroof Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:35 AM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:53 AM
  • I would have been reduced to tears with the failed 2008 installation attempts, save for your brilliant solution...now with any luck, I can actually get jobs (all) that, whether they use it or not, demand SSAS!!! (as long as they don't look up AdventureWorks on the web...) thanks so much
    8^) DOS to the rescue...
    • Proposed as answer by mortpett Thursday, August 25, 2016 11:20 AM
    Friday, May 29, 2009 7:27 PM

(this works on Xp)

I confirm that
    1°) the KB300956 article was worthless.
    2°) the above command solves the problem.
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 7:52 AM
  • yes, it works on my xp also

Thursday, July 9, 2009 10:25 AM
  • This resolved my issue in 32 bit Vista as well. seems it should be added to the Knowledge base article.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:10 PM
  • Hi Rafael,

I've installed Windows 7 Ultimate PT-BR with english language pack. I tried to install SQL Server 2008 Express 64 bits and got the same error "Performance counter registry hive consistency check failed"

Did the changes you suggested in registry but couldn't install it until I created a key with the locale ID for pt-br "0416" and copied all the values that were inside the key "009" into it.

I found the locale ID for pt-br in this page http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964664.aspx

Hope this could help anyone experiencing the same problem. 
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 1:10 AM
  • It worked for me, on a Dutch SB server 2008 but the Locale ID was not the one in the list, it was 013

Thanx,
    Monday, November 9, 2009 8:02 PM
  • hi, i cant solve that because i dont nderstand what exactly i have to do mine number is 022 (pt,portugal) please someone add me on msn to solve this my mail is hugo_luiten[at]live[dot].com
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:28 PM
  • Thank you!
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 1:07 PM
  • Thanks Rafael your solution Worked!

i did this:

1.Download rafael's zip

2.run his .exe

3.Check the last value , mine was 00A in WinXp spanish.

4.create the new key named 00A (in the same path as 009)

5.create Counter and Help

6.Copy the values from 009/Counter and 009/Help to YOURVALUE/Counter YOURVALUE/Help

7.Re run installer xD 

Saturday, May 29, 2010 5:45 PM
  • I'm using Chinese traditional Windows 7, and tried all above changing perflib/last counter and last help to 009 or 0404 (or current language)  but ms sql 2008 express setup

Performance counter registry hive consistency check

problem still persist. Any other ideas? My asp project had been stuck with this problem for over 2 weeks, i'm really getting fedup with microsoft.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 2:56 PM
  • Yeeaah Rafael !! It worked fine for me !!! Thanks a lot for the tip !!
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 4:14 PM
  • I've actually solved the problem for my Vista and Win 7 (traditional chinese version).

After revising %systemroot%\system32\WmiApRpl.ini:

"[info]

drivername=WmiApRpl

symbolfile=WmiApRpl.h 

[languages]

004=Chinese (Traditional)

009=English

[objects]

WMI_Objects_004_NAME=WMI Objects

WMI_Objects_009_NAME=WMI Objects

MSiSCSI_ConnectionStatistics_00000_004_NAME=iSCSI Connections

MSiSCSI_ConnectionStatistics_00000_009_NAME=MSiSCSI_ConnectionStatistics

MSiSCSI_InitiatorInstanceStatistics_00001_004_NAME=iSCSI Initiator Instance

MSiSCSI_InitiatorInstanceStatistics_00001_009_NAME=MSiSCSI_InitiatorInstanceStatistics

MSiSCSI_InitiatorLoginStatistics_00002_004_NAME=iSCSI Initiator Login statistics

MSiSCSI_InitiatorLoginStatistics_00002_009_NAME=MSiSCSI_InitiatorLoginStatistics

MSiSCSI_MMIPSECStats_00003_004_NAME=iSCSI HBA Main Mode IPSEC Statistics

MSiSCSI_MMIPSECStats_00003_009_NAME=MSiSCSI_MMIPSECStats

MSiSCSI_NICPerformance_00004_004_NAME=MSiSCSI_NICPerformance

MSiSCSI_NICPerformance_00004_009_NAME=MSiSCSI_NICPerformance

MSiSCSI_QMIPSECStats_00005_004_NAME=iSCSI HBA Quick Mode IPSEC Statistics

MSiSCSI_QMIPSECStats_00005_009_NAME=MSiSCSI_QMIPSECStats

MSiSCSI_RequestTimeStatistics_00006_004_NAME=iSCSI Request Processing Time

MSiSCSI_RequestTimeStatistics_00006_009_NAME=MSiSCSI_RequestTimeStatistics

MSiSCSI_SessionStatistics_00007_004_NAME=iSCSI Sessions

MSiSCSI_SessionStatistics_00007_009_NAME=MSiSCSI_SessionStatistics

ProcessorPerformance_00008_004_NAME=處理器效能

ProcessorPerformance_00008_009_NAME=ProcessorPerformance

Video_Scheduler_Statistics_00009_004_NAME=Video Scheduler

Video_Scheduler_Statistics_00009_009_NAME=Video_Scheduler_Statistics"

I have realized that the code 009 is for english language and 004 for chinese traditional and in my "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib" did only exist 009 and 0404 key.

Hence, i've created a new 004 key and copied 009 counter and help contents to this newly created key.

Without restarting the OS, I was able to install smoothly MS SQL server express RC2.

I'm so happy to have overcome this problem.

But just out of curiosity does anyone know the syntax for the language codes? (009 for English, 004 for Chinese and 0404?)

• Proposed as answer by Lawliet 117 Sunday, February 23, 2014 6:59 PM
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 12:46 PM
  • My problem was very much like yours. I have a Windows 7 Home Basic that was originally supplied by ASUS at Traditional Chinese. I upgraded to Ultimate, installed the English MUI, changed the interface language and promptly forogt about this history.

What finally worked for me was the instruction to create a new Perflib key and copy the 009 values. What threw me off for a while was getting the correct number to use.

The guy who modified his .ini file below, supplied the correct value of 004.

The console application above gave me 7C04, and the table of values someone else gave a link to, led me to believe I needed 0409. None of those worked.

BUT 004 did the trick. I suggest you try this too.

Jim

Monday, July 26, 2010 2:43 AM
  • Hi PMaculan,

Really thanks for your suggestion, it works on me!

Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Solution here

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=96463

you should unzip the file SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.EXE

with command line, you write

C:\Users\Administrateur\Downloads\SQLEXPRWT_x64_EN U>setup.exe /ACTION=install /SKIPRULES=PerfMonCounterNotCorruptedCheck

Andy
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:06 AM
  • Hi Andy,

I m having the same problem as above in this topic. Now i hope to find the sollution here but i dont really understand what you mean with command line? where / what command lineafter unzipping the installation file ???

Grt

Michel

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 10:43 AM
  • It worked flawlessly, your solution is still helping people two years after it was created. thanks a lot Rafael
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Hi,

I am trying to install SQL Server 2008 on Window XP but facing the same problem even after issuing the command "lodctr /R:PerfStringBackup.INI
    " from command prompt.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:49 AM
  • Rafael, 

Thanks!!!

I'm using Windows7.. and until now, every others google's solution dont work for me!

Thanks men!

Friday, December 10, 2010 12:06 AM
  • Rafael, you rock!!!

Thanks man! That was the only solution I've found for my Vista Home Premium...

Valeu cara! ;-)

Friday, December 17, 2010 5:36 PM
  • Excelente Rafael, los pasos que propones funcionan. Llevaba varios días tratando de solcucionar esto. Por cierto el KB de Microsoft en cuento a esto no ayuda en nada.
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 6:28 PM
  • I ran into this problem installing SQL Server 2008 R2 on an XP machine and the cammand lodctr /R:PerfStringBackup.INI work for me. 

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:11 PM
  • I ran into this problem installing SQL Server 2008 R2 on an XP machine and the cammand lodctr /R:PerfStringBackup.INI work for me. 

Thanks!

Rafael Candido¡¡¡¡, like we say here in Colombia,,,, eres un Capo compadre¡¡¡¡¡, english: you are the man.

Muchas gracias¡¡¡¡

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:56 PM

(this works on Xp)

This doesn't work for me Windows Seven 64 bits, the PerfStringBackup.ini file is different use this command

lodctr /R:"c:\Windows\SysWOW64\PerfStringBackup.INI"

Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Bump to say this solved my problems after trying two "official" solutions and considering another complicated item in the KB.

Thanks Rafael!

Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:05 AM
  • Rafael... your solution worked great for me...

Thanks a lot for you support.

I was very worried because I needed to instal SQL Server on my computer as soon as possible for a university course.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 2:16 AM
  • Rafael, you are the man!!!

It worked.

For Spanish (Mexico) the values is 00A

Monday, October 3, 2011 3:55 PM
  •  

Trying to install SQL Server 2008 Express on a Windows 7 Enterprise (pt-PT) and can't solve this problem (Performance counter registry hive consistency -> failed)

I think I tried all the solutions proposed here:

1. Raphael's exe

2. Creating the 016 key

3. The lodctr /R:PerfStringBackup.INI command

And it still fails to install :(

Any further help? Thanks!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:23 AM
  • Thanks a lot!

worked after copying "Counter" and "Help" keys from 009 key to 019.

Win7 x64, Sql Server 2008R2

Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:15 AM
  • Good days

Great suggestions.    I resolved my problem with same variants:

Environments: W.Server 2008-R2  PT-BR (Brazil) and SQL 2008 english

1.- Run RegEdit and goto : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib     here, export all the existing lines with names equals to its numbers. (example: 009  )

2.- Edit each file to know his number (it is at final of third line) In my case: 009  and 0416

3.- Edit the bigger one ( aprox 6,8 MB ) (in my case was the 009).  Replace 009 with number 0416 and save with the name 0416A.reg

4.- Edit the 009 twice, change the number to 016 and save it like 016A.reg

5.- Run RegEdit and Import the files 0416A and 016A

6.- Install the Sql 2008 , it will run !

Effusive thanks to Rafael Candido and to PMaculan for their magistrals tips.

Monday, December 26, 2011 11:24 PM
  • Thank you very much, I've been banging my head on the wall for days. This couldn't have  been easier: lodctr /R:PerfStringBackup.INI or quicker.

Thanks again!

Friday, March 9, 2012 6:16 AM
  • Helped Rafael! Great!
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 7:48 PM
  • yes a little bit late but I got the same problem all the information here would not work for me : try this one it worked for me ! good luck

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 10:49 AM
  • Yep!  This is the answer.   Thanks everyone!  Here it is May 2012, almost 3 years after your post, and it was useful!

Summarize my situation:  I am language code 09 (English)

Here’s the PROBLEM:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3476719/how-do-i-fix-a-performance-counter-registry-hive-consistency-when-installing-s

Here’s the SOLUTION (the post above)

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/dddf0349-557b-48c7-bf82-6bd1adb5c694

I ran RegEdit and exported the whole registry – called it My BackUpReg1.reg for example.

Start, Run, CMD, then run this command (even if it’s in your documents directory, don’t matter.)

I ran RegEdit and exported the whole registry – called it AfterDoingLodCtr1.reg for example.

I Compared them using a nice program like BeyondCompare.

Indeed, the reg entry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\009"

was changed, and lots of sub-bytes changed for the entry.

BUT IT WORKED!!!

I reran the SQL Server install and it worked!  

Friday, May 25, 2012 11:50 PM
  • Andy,

Thanks, this worked perfectly!!

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:07 PM
  • Hi Yuhong, 

How do i send the txt file to you? im not able to upload a .txt file here... 

Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:45 PM
  • Thanks man, that solved my problem.

Michel Wilker Prado

Monday, July 30, 2012 12:50 AM

(this works on Xp)

Thank so much for this. After hours of editing the registry and uninstalling SQL Server this worked instantly on XP Home!
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:03 PM
  • Thanks ideivid! i'd like to add one warning:

when i copied the values of 009/Counter and 009/Help,  i copied an empty line too at the end (i didnt realize). That extra line was a problem to me. All i did to finally get it work was delete that final empty line, and... let the magic be! =)!

Monday, August 6, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Thanks Rafael your solution Worked!

i did this:

1.Download rafael's zip

2.run his .exe

3.Check the last value , mine was 00A in WinXp spanish.

4.create the new key named 00A (in the same path as 009)

5.create Counter and Help

6.Copy the values from 009/Counter and 009/Help to YOURVALUE/Counter YOURVALUE/Help

7.Re run installer xD 

This works on Windows 8 ... spanish confirm!!! the help at microsoft are just confuse and dont work!!!
    Monday, October 29, 2012 6:30 AM
  • Great. It works for me :)
    Monday, January 7, 2013 1:00 AM
  • The shortest and best way :-) it worked for me in a second.
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:35 AM
  • string.Format("{0,3}", CultureInfo.InstalledUICulture.Parent.LCID.ToString("X")).Replace(" ", "0");  <--- to do this easier use notepad or notepad++

and just use Find-> Replace " " with "0", obiviously with no quotes.

worked in windows 7 sp1, with portugues 

Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:37 PM

• Hi everyone!

This solution proposed by Rafael on 24th of April 2008 also worked on Windows 8 pro (originally with pt-BR, but I have installed later en-US as the interface language) and SQL Express. I was trying to install Lightswitch 2011 and SQL Server 2008 Express SP1 and this solution worked like a charm.

Thank you!

Monday, April 15, 2013 1:38 AM
  • Thanks Alot Raphael May God Bless you abundantily
    Friday, February 28, 2014 12:33 PM
  • This one Worked for Me.  Thx!!
    Monday, April 21, 2014 5:43 AM
  • LIFESAVER!!!!!!!!!
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 2:13 AM
  • the machine that i was testing my OS is win2k8 R2. it was having a Chinese OS and on top of that i installed English language pack.

The key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib has 009 and 0804 entries. 009 had Multi stings "Counter" and "Help" while 0804 was enpty. I copied the strings from 009 to 0804.

Restarted the SQL installation and it started to proceed.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:53 AM
  • Hi All,  (Andy),

I also confirm that this method:

Use CMD with

C:\Users\Administrateur\Downloads\SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU>setup.exe /ACTION=install /SKIPRULES=PerfMonCounterNotCorruptedCheck

... works for the "performance counter issue"  during SQL installation.

Monday, January 12, 2015 11:03 AM
  • Thanks Rafael! Worked like a charm for me on Windows10 combined with SQL 2008 R2 :)
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 7:18 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for this parameter /SKIPRULES=PerfMonCounterNotCorruptedCheck! I have used it to successfully install SQL Server 2008 Maintenance Tools on Windows 10.

DeeDee

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 1:16 AM
  • " Use CMD with C:\Users\Administrateur\Downloads\SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU>setup.exe /ACTION=install /SKIPRULES=PerfMonCounterNotCorruptedCheck " is Great idea. it works.

Friday, November 18, 2016 1:33 PM
  • This helped to fix the issue.

I had to open cmd as administrator first a then runing the comand.

(It worked in Windows 7 SP1)

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 8:50 PM
  • Worked instantly.

Thanks!

Saturday, July 1, 2017 6:57 PM