VS Code Editor RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've seen numerous examples people implementing the Windows Forms Designer in their application, I was wondering if it's possible to do something similar with the Code editor too?  I would like to offer my users the capability of writing their own plug-ins.  It is ok if VS has to be installed on their PCs.

I've asked this question many times before, and just had a lot of deer in headlights faces stare back at me.

Cheers.

Paul

Monday, September 5, 2005 8:45 PM

Answers

• You may know this, it might not be what you want.  Nonetheless, it was helpful to me so I thought I would pass it on - doesn't seem to heavily marketed.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/extend/vsipoverview/

It's the Visual Studio Industry Partner program, which gets you the SDK for extending or importing parts of VS2005. 

Hope that helps some.

S
    Monday, October 3, 2005 11:05 AM

All replies

• Per one of our support engineers:

First the “designer” and “design host” is just for the controls when we're developing applications. They provide support for the controls behavior when in the developing enviornment. For example we can drag it to the designing windows form. They are not designed for plug-ins.

If the customer wants to design plug-ins support feature, he should design a interface and invoke the interface in his code. Then use config information to do later binding to the correct plug-in object and invoke the plug-in method he wants.

This MSDN article might also be of help:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/rscreate/htm/rcr_creating_building_v1_0do7.asp

Please let us know if you need more clarification as I'm not sure that this completely answers your question.

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Friday, September 9, 2005 5:03 PM
  • Hi, thanks for your response!

Yep, I've seen a few implementations of that (MSDN mag), and it's great!  I think that you were talking more about the windows forms designer and being able to reuse that.

I'm interested in if the code editor (where you actually writer your code, intellisence, etc) can be pulled into another application like the windows forms designer can.  I think the closest I can find to what I'm after is the implementation on CodeSmith.

Thanks a lot!
    Friday, September 9, 2005 5:17 PM
  • You may know this, it might not be what you want.  Nonetheless, it was helpful to me so I thought I would pass it on - doesn't seem to heavily marketed.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/extend/vsipoverview/

It's the Visual Studio Industry Partner program, which gets you the SDK for extending or importing parts of VS2005. 

Hope that helps some.

S
    Monday, October 3, 2005 11:05 AM
  • Hi Bill,

Yeh, that's the path I've taken.  I wrote the same question on the VSIP forum, and a Microsoft guy basically said to me "well, this isn't technically feasible to do with studio right now, so you can suggest it to the product feedback team".  Which is the answer I 90% expected anyway.  So what I've gone for is your approach, and I'm working to integrate my product very deeply into studio itself, rather than studio to my app (perhaps I was being greedy?)

Anyway, thanks for the pointer to VSIP :-)  It's great!

Paul
    Monday, October 3, 2005 11:14 AM